Why become a member? ×

Rush here soon, who's going ??

tonybassplayer

Since reading Neil Pearts Ghost Rider I seem to have got really fixated on Rush once again. I was fanatical about the band in the 70's and early eighties but not really bought much since then.

Seen them a few times over the years and thought they were excellent last time on the Time Machine tour and decided that yes I am going to get to the Manchester or possibly Sheffield gig in May when I can get the right tickets as I don't want to be sat at the back.

I find Rush so much more of a fun band now than they were. Might be just my perception but I always thought they were a little mystical and distant but they just seem like they are a bunch of lifelong friends having great fun these days.

Anyone else going ?

too expensive this time around, been to every show in Glasgow/Edinburgh , even worked at a few, and met the guys, but the price is out of bounds for a lot of people i think. by the time you add up all the costs we would need a hotel by the time the show ends, food and drinks not much change out of £300

Edited by geofio

I'm a rabid Rush fan, but... no.

And here's why:[list=1]
[*]Too expensive. it's getting silly now.
[*]Last few times I've been, I've watched the big screen more than the band. I'd happily trade the screen and a few lights for cheaper tickets and more focus on the band.
[*]String section? Nah.
[*]The sound at the last couple of gigs has been wretched. Crap mix, and FAR TOO LOUD. I'm sick of that fat slab of mush Alex has used for a guitar tone over the last few years.
[*]On the subject of Alex, STOP MIMING TO THE BVs! You look silly.
[*]Clockwork Angels wasn't a return to form. It was generic prog-metal-by-numbers. Flashes of greatness buried under a blanket of mediocrity. Geddy can't write a melody to save his life these days.
[/list]
Apart from that, I love them dearly and I'll buy the DVD.

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1363644224' post='2015337']
Yep.. At the O2, never seen them before
[/quote]

Ditto.

I agree that Clockwork Angels is crap, and they're probably going to do ALL of it. :( But they're also going to do the whole of 2112 and lots of other old stuff. And this may be the last time they tour like this. Neil Peart's apparently finding it hard to do 3-hour sets these days.

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1363680727' post='2015556']
Ditto.

I agree that Clockwork Angels is crap, and they're probably going to do ALL of it. :( But they're also going to do the whole of **** and lots of other old stuff. And this may be the last time they tour like this. Neil Peart's apparently finding it hard to do 3-hour sets these days.
[/quote]

Careful with setlist spoilers, eh?

I don't think they're doing the whole thing - just a part of it. As for lots of old stuff - it depends on your definition. I'd call it mid-period stuff. Which is fine by me, 'cos I love it.

Still not going, though. :)

Well, Alex Lifeson's being cheerfully saying they're doing to do 2112 in interviews, so I don't think it's any surprise to people following them.

As for 'old' vs 'older', even mid-period stuff is now decades old. :) I just hope they do lots of stuff from Permanent Waves - Moving Pictures - Signals. That was MY Rush.

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1363681505' post='2015565']
As for 'old' vs 'older', even mid-period stuff is now decades old. :) I just hope they do lots of stuff from Permanent Waves - Moving Pictures - Signals. That was MY Rush.
[/quote]

I'd love to hear "Here again". But I'm not holding my [s]fire[/s] breath...

I haven't seen them since the Signals tour. And I have a feeling in my water that this might be their last UK tour, so I'd like to see them again for that reason alone.

I'm not a big fan of their more recent stuff, and the thought of an orchestra on stage fills me with dread.... but what the hell. It's in the school holidays, and we have free accommodation available down the M8 in Edinburgh, so I have no excuses really!

I totally agree with all the honest comments but but but I am getting older, they are getting older, they were the band that took me from glam rock in to everything else. Yes I have seen them before and it's a small fortune but looking at YouTube yesterday I see three of my heroes from my youth out there having great fun and I want to be part of it again. I doubt it will be the last tour of the uk but I would be fuming if I missed it and they never toured again.

On a side note and taking all things in to consideration I thought the time machine tour was a brilliant show and loved every minute of it.

I saw them on the Time Machine tour at the O2 from the second row in front of Geddy. I think that's unlikely to be topped (esp as Moving Pictures = 10/10, Clockwork Angels = 3/10 but growing) but if I find a decent ticket at face value then I'll probably go along.

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1363680727' post='2015556']
Ditto.

I agree that Clockwork Angels is crap, and they're probably going to do ALL of it. :( But they're also going to do the whole of 2112 and lots of other old stuff. And this may be the last time they tour like this. Neil Peart's apparently finding it hard to do 3-hour sets these days.
[/quote]

Slight spoiler (white font, highlight to read): [color=#FFFFFF]According to www.setlist.fm, they don't do all of Clockwork, nor do they do all of 2112. And there are setlist changes every night. [/color]Spoiler ends.

Edited by toneknob

I'm going to the O2.

It'll be my first Rush gig, although I've been a fan since the 80's!

Always swore I'd never pay high prices or go to an arena....but I have to admit it's that or nothing.

I personally love CW, and having seen the setlists from the tour, it looks awesome.

A night of Rush. I can't wait!

I won't be going and have missed the last 2 tours, The sound at the MEN is the worst I've heard and add the ticket prices and the constant stand up-Sit down-Sit at a funny angle. Last time I walked out at half time. I really only go to sub 1000 seaters these days they are the best concert experience and you can stand up mostly.

Edited by Geddys nose

I wasn't going to go to the last tour mainly for most of the reasons WoT pointed out in his first post. Then when it became common knowledge they would do all of MP as a 'suite' I finally caved in and bit the financial bullet. Not this time, far too expensive and I just don't get the buzz from seeing them anymore. Looks like the DVD will be out BEFORE the UK shows so people can see what will be pretty much the same show in advance. A mate of mine is a lifelong fan but as soon as the ticket prices came it out he said he'd just buy the DVD and that would be it.

I've seen them on every tour since Signals in '83. They are superb live. I do agree that the ticket prices are high but they've said in the past that they barely break even on European tours. However, for your money you do get to see three incredible musicians in the flesh playing for the best part of three hours. I do feel that as they are now 59-60 years old that they may start to slow things down a tad. I didn't know about Lerxst miming backing vocals though.

The backing vocals for many years have been samples (mainly of Geddy) triggered by Alex or Geddy on the bass pedals.

The tickets are expensive, but they are around the same price for most acts of that size these days I'm afraid (and it's how everyone makes money from music now recordings are freely available for nothing).

I've already seen this tour in Tampa last year and Rush did not disappoint. I'm hoping to get the alternate set to the one I saw, but we'll see. I had mixed feelings about the string section beforehand, but it actually worked really well and added an extra dimension to the music (old & new). I do think CA is a partial return to form and I'd rather hear a large slice of that than the large slice of S&A I had to endure a couple of tours ago (the rest of the set on that tour was good though, so I survived). Having said that, nothing will compare to the first couple of times I saw Rush - on the ESL and Signals tours. What fantastic sets they were!

EDIT: Yes, I'm going!

Edited by jonsmith

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1363695904' post='2015918']
There's a band in there somewhere... the rest is just fluff.
[/quote]

It's never going to happen, but wouldn't it be fantastic if they decided to do a stripped-down "rock three piece" tour of medium-sized venues such as they used to play thirty odd years ago.... Newcastle City Hall or maybe The Sage.... Around 2000 people and great acoustics...

Dream on. :rolleyes:

Edited by Conan

Whilst it isn't unknown for bands to start small, get big and play bigger venues then toward their autumn years end up playing small clubs again I can't see it happening with Rush. Lifeson and Lee might be up for it but I don't see Peart going with it for any length of time.