Why become a member? ×

Have you ever seen a P bass like this?

parker_muse

In a local music shop called 'Vintage Strings' in cheltenham, i found one of these.

1972, perfect condition, natural finish.

£850.

Is it me, or is that rediculously low?

Also, they have a fender double p bass, from 77'. Its got a wierd mirrored pickguard, maple neck, and a second p pup at the bridge. Theres a cutaway for slapping, never seen anything like it,

Also

£850

Are these good deals?

Thanks,

Parker

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='The Burpster' post='21608' date='Jun 21 2007, 09:42 PM']I knew I'd read some other stuff about this see below thread put on by Beedster P bass 2 P pups...

Its like a precision Elite II made between 83 +85..... about as popular as a KKK grand master in a Black Panther meeting.......

:)[/quote]

Different bass mate, the one I was talking about was somewhat better and somewhat cheaper - the one above's a [mary hinge]r. 2 x P PUPs is fine, but the scoop is silly. If you can't play slap, hacking your bass won't make it any better. Over and above this, I'm a great fan of PBs, but they ain't the best slap bass, so that mod is a bit foolish to say the least. I would pay more then £250 for it, even if it sounds great
Chris

[quote name='The Burpster' post='21608' date='Jun 21 2007, 09:42 PM']I knew I'd read some other stuff about this see below thread put on by Beedster P bass 2 P pups...

Its like a precision Elite II made between 83 +85..... about as popular as a KKK grand master in a Black Panther meeting.......

With the pickguard from hell..not an Elite pickguard that..

[quote name='The Burpster' post='21608' date='Jun 21 2007, 09:42 PM']Its like a precision Elite II made between 83 +85..... about as popular as a KKK grand master in a Black Panther meeting.......

As I said in the other thread, the fact that it wasn't a huge market success doesn't mean it wasn't a great bass. A lot of guys who've owned/played Elites really rate them. I don't think their 80's styling - especially the white PUPs and the boutique wood finish - fits the current retro zeitgeist that favours beaten up relics, and this in part explains their current unpopularity (oh, and the fact that they weighed in at around 12lbs). I once owned a Fender 40th Anniversary Precision which was a great bass but which also suffered from a similar image problem - I certainly could never have turned up to an audition with it! However, if I found an Elite 2 at a prce I could afford now I'd jump on it as it's essentially a real punchy Precision bass with the bonus of wider sound variability. Over and above this, in 10 years time they'll be gold dust!
Chris

Ugh...

I´d like to see what the routing looks like underneath the pickguard. Then again, maybe not... :)

In any case, like WoT said, that´s not a custom job by Fender, and the price should reflect that.

I´d love to try one of the original Elite IIs, though - I`m beginning to like the look.

[quote name='Beedster' post='21716' date='Jun 22 2007, 08:23 AM']I once owned a Fender 40th Anniversary Precision which was a great bass but which also suffered from a similar image problem - I certainly could never have turned up to an audition with it!
Chris[/quote]

Chris...... OMG does that mean My 40th Anni P has a poo image? Its beautiful...... I Certainly wouldnt turn up at an audition with it as I wouldnt want to damge it.......

Oh and to be pedantic..... I didnt once mention that the Elite II isnt any good, it WAS unpopular hence it didnt sell in large numbers........

Sigourney Weaver is not a popular actress at the moment (but I wouldnt crawl over her to get to you! :huh: ) b ut that does not mean shes no good.... I was hoping that some of the above would read your thread and get better educated about the P bass history....

:)