Why become a member? ×

Steeleye Span/Rick Kemp

bobpalt

I've just got back from seeing Steeleye play at the Roses in Tewkesbury, having been a fan of theirs since the 70s, and whilst they have slowed down appreciably (they are getting on, to be fair!), and the gig didnt really get going like their gigs used to in the olden days, Rick Kemp on bass was still absolutely superb. He has, for ages championed Overwater basses, but why he hasnt got an Overwater Signature bass is beyond me, as I would have thought he deserves it (and perhaps sadly, I would buy one......).
He can do all the new fangled slappy stuff if the song calls for it, is incredibly melodic and a total rock type genius. A real "unsung" super star!

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1363164209' post='2009326']
saw him many years ago when maddy prior was touring her solo album - good gig!
[/quote]

Saw that tour as well - fantastic.

RK was an early influence of mine - top notch player.

Ed

• 2 months later...

Chris May had mentioned his friend Rick who had briefly been in Crimson to me a number of times, but I've only just got round to finding out who we was talking about. What a monster player! Interesting Overwater, too, with the recess near the neck, presumably for slapping.

Sorry Mr Foxen, I thought you said Ross Kemp, I was thinking of a bald bloke running away when the music got heavy

Back on topic, Rick is a great player and a gent, met him years ago before a Steeleye Span gig in Glasgow and was a top bloke. Great bassist.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1369440383' post='2089419']
Sorry Mr Foxen, I thought you said Ross Kemp, I was thinking of a bald bloke running away when the music got heavy

Back on topic, Rick is a great player and a gent, met him years ago before a Steeleye Span gig in Glasgow and was a top bloke. Great bassist.
[/quote]