Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

School me on the Ampeg solid state combo amps

umcoo

Hi all,

With 1 gig played in the last 3 years, I'm thinking of downscaling my amp and I'm hoping someone could tell me about the Ampeg combo's - particularly the BA115HP and BA115 (Yes, I've searched). Reviews seem fairly mixed with them, and I can't say I'd never play a gig again so will still need something suitable for the job. Just seems a waste having a GK 800RB and Matamp cab sat here without being used in anger.

Thanks in advance!

Can't comment on the Ampegs (though I've heard that whilst their valve amps are great, the SS are not so great. But don't take that as gospel) but if you like your GK sound, why not get a smaller GK rig or combo?

My amp is a markbass combo but I use our rehearsal studio's BA115 when rehearsing. I really like the tone with my Jazz or p basses.
I play in a covers band and we're not particularly loud, I normally have it running at about half on gain and master volume.
I dont know if it'd be loud enough for gigging in a rock band without proper pa support but I like it.

Edited by lonestar

I`ve used a couple of the BA112s at gigs when they were provided backline, and whilst I love the sound, they`re not sufficient for a full band without going through the PA. But then, they are only 50 watts, so I wasn`t expecting anything otherwise.

The only thing that SS Ampegs have going for them is the Ampeg badge...IMO.. assuming that Ampegs actually
do it for you.

I'd put GK in front of them, tbh... as the Ampeg is a one trick pony and you can forget about EQ... altho the valve amps do that trick really well, IMO..

I've had an SVT-70T combo for about 25 years (and I bought it secondhand) and it has served me well. I still use it for practice at home but I have also used it for small gigs and sometimes connected to a PA (it has a DI output). I've only ever had one problem when a power resistor came loose (probably through vibration), but that was a very easy fix. Not too bad for something that's probably at least 30 years old.

More info in this old marketplace topic (which is nothing to do with me):
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/159103-ampeg-svt-70t-combo/

I've got an old SVT140TC combo, it's a 410 and 'only' 140 watts. But, it's a sealed stereo configuration and has great 'traditional Ampeg' tone. Nice eq, and plenty loud enough for average pub gigs but with balanced DI output for PA if needed. Gigged it constantly back in the day, lent it to mates (who all wanted to buy it), left it in the garage and it's never missed a beat, not even blown a fuse.

A real workhorse, and weighs about the same as one too!

The combos are rare but the heads come up occasionaly on the bay and are usually pretty cheap.

Thanks everyone for the help so far! I'll check out the GK combo's if I can and see what I think. I know Ampeg's quality has supposedly dropped in the last few years, but can't get away from that 'classic' bass tone. Thanks again!

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1363210750' post='2009983']
I know Ampeg's quality has supposedly dropped in the last few years, but can't get away from that 'classic' bass tone. Thanks again!
[/quote]

Whilst I agree about the quality, the classic tone only comes from the valve amps IMO. I was tempted by the SVT7 class D, but they don't sound like a proper SVT either.

There is two distinct "Ampeg" tone varieties. The B15 tones and the SVT tones. The solid state combos will either do B15 (like the Rocketbass series) or do a clean SVT. But not really both (at least the ones I've played / owned).

The one exception I've found is the BA500 which sounds more valve SVT (there's some crunch at least). I'm not really a fan of the other BAs, though I've not tried the HP.

I do like the B3 series. They're a lot cleaner sounding than the BAs but somehow manage to sound less bland. Not quite so common though and older. Then there's those older SVT SS combos that I know nothing about at all. :lol:

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1363286521' post='2011131']
Have to admit, if the Ampeg tone is the tone being looked for, Fender bass amps are worth checking out.
[/quote]

Ridiculous isn't it? But yeah, I've found the best "Ampeg tone" I've found is my Alembic F1X (Fender Showman circuit) with my Ampeg SVP through the effects loop. It growls, but it's rock solid. I find the SVP on it's own a little thin in comparison.

I was lucky enough to try out an old 70's B15 a few years ago, and fell in love with the tone. Ever since, it's the sound I've been chasing, and was quite interested when Ampeg brought the new portaflex combo series out. At first I was a bit disappointed by the decision to make them class D, as I hadn't really got on with other class D amps, but after trying one... well, I now own a PF350 and PF115; it absolutely nails the fliptop tone, is heaven with a P Bass, is great value for money, and is nice and light too. :)

This [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/ampeg-b-15-pf350-pf115he-recordings-802868/"]page[/url] on talkbass has some comparison recordings that highlight what I'm talking about really well.