Why become a member? ×

Guide to selling!

[font="Arial Black"]Well, seen as almost every other sale thread i go in with people complaining about the same things or getting asked the same things i though this might help some new people??[/font]

[[font="Arial"]b]1. [/b]Not mandatory but very helpful if you go introduce your self in the introduction section if this is your first post/sale.
[b]2.[/b] Give a clear description of what your selling.
[b]3.[/b] Give a location in your first post, as people need to know where you are before they can consider buying.
[b]4.[/b] Pictures are lot more helpful, one mans good condition is anthers great condition.
[b]5. [/b]If SELLING, put a price in the first post, not PM for price?
[b]6.[/b] If shipping do-able? if not, say so.[/font]

I think i've got most there?? :)

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]-Jake[/font]

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='206397' date='May 26 2008, 10:26 AM'][font="Arial Black"]Well, seen as almost every other sale thread i go in with people complaining about the same things or getting asked the same things i though this might help some new people??[/font]

[[font="Arial"]b]1. [/b]Not mandatory but very helpful if you go introduce your self in the introduction section if this is your first post/sale.
[b]2.[/b] Give a clear description of what your selling.
[b]3.[/b] Give a location in your first post, as people need to know where you are before they can consider buying.
[b]4.[/b] Pictures are lot more helpful, one mans good condition is anthers great condition.
[b]5. [/b]If SELLING, put a price in the first post, not PM for price?
[b]6.[/b] If shipping do-able? if not, say so.[/font]

I think i've got most there?? :)

[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]-Jake[/font][/quote]

+1!

another idea: Why not eliminate the threaded discussion format for classified ads? What's the point of giving the community the opportunity to comment publicly on what's being up for sale? Wouldn't it be better if the discussion is directly between the seller and buyers via private messages? Are there any technical limitation with forum platform? Maybe one of the moderators could comment on this please?

Edited by carlosfandango

they wont do it, it has been suggested before, and declined

how about this:

a general stickied discussion thread in each of the for sale forums for discussion of things that are for sale, including prices and other contraversial discussion that may cause problems in the actual thread. this way, it can still be discussed in public, but wont ruin the sellers thread. personally i think this is a very good idea, who's with me?

If people respect the current format then there shouldn’t be a problem with it. A pinned set of guidelines similar to Jake’s could be of a great benefit to new members/sellers but ultimately I think it’s the mod’s who need to first identify where the perceived problems with sales threads lie, and then decide if/what guidelines need to be set to tackle them. In my opinion (I’ve gone off using abbreviations such as ‘IMO’ :)), any published guidelines should also include some reference to etiquette – such as publically slating someone’s sale thread for a number of reasons – “your price is ridiculous” or “that is a complete piece of sh*t and I cant see why anyone would want to buy it” sort of statements (not that I think there have been many of these but I know it’s an issue which has risen in the past).

Generally I think guidelines would be for new members, the older ones should know better than to post a rubbish sale thread or try and sabotage someone else’s. I am surprised that no general guidelines have been published though.

[quote name='ped' post='206462' date='May 26 2008, 11:56 AM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SR&f=20"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SR&f=20[/url] :0)[/quote]

I completely missed that, doh!

Maybe others have missed it too then.

[quote name='ped' post='206462' date='May 26 2008, 11:56 AM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SR&f=20"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SR&f=20[/url] :0)[/quote]

Hi Ped, and thanks for reminding us. However, the reason for this post is because it doesn't seem the be working and...well, if it ain't working it needs to be fixed. So - again, are there any specific reasons why you want to keep the classified ads threaded?

thanks
carl

Hi Carl,

99% of the for sale threads attract a lot of discussion and 99% of this discussion is positive and to the benefit of the seller in terms of information, help, advice and so forth. As most people have pointed out, if people can just be polite there is not a problem. As stated in the rules, if you do have a problem with a listing, report it to us. I personally have never received a PM warning me about an item/listing. It should be the first port of call.

Technically the idea of not having discussion on the forum would be very possible, but I think on the whole it is a positive thing. Check 20 random for sale items and you will see that most, if not all, are filled with questions from buyers about the item, requests for more pics, general comments, testimonials about sellers, that sort of thing. Whilst this acts as a help to the seller it also provides interesting reading and a catalyst for discussion elsewhere on the forum.

So, in summary - we very very rarely have a problem with the current system. It may not 'seem to be working' because the one or two that do become argumentative (usually stemmed from the fact someone is not following simple rules) then they raise attention. If you look at the numbers, you will see that the system in fact works extremely well..

Cheers for the ideas and thoughts guys,

ped

[quote][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SR&f=20"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SR&f=20[/url] :0)[/quote]

Sorry mate, never even saw that, maybe if it was in the [i]Important topics[/i] section it would get some more views that where it is now. Just a thought!

Cheers Ped.

Jake

The problem with the guidelines is that most people dont bother to read it. Like the pinned stuff about impedence and strings and all the other questions that get asked over and over again, nobody looks at that either, or even reads posts properly that they are replying too.

Can the guidelines bit be made bigger, much much bigger, so you cannot but see it.

Even better, when someone starts a new topic in for sale, instead of an empty page they get the guidelines and have to delete them before they can create their advert. I dont know if this is possible with the board technology mind.

That would be a good idea. I thought they were quite visible in the big red box at the top but as you say people just bypass it and then wonder why things go downhill when they haven't read them.

I will see if it is possible to make them appear in full when listing.

I don't see there's much of a problem. People seem to talk about the problems on this board more than actually use it for what its here for. Just ignore the prats, be sensible and you can't really go wrong. Or is that just me?

Edited by TimmyC

maybe it's just me, but I think that many posts under that classified section lately seems to have been hijacked by people who's agenda seems to be to just cause a lot of trouble instead of support the forum members. I just thought that it could be good to separate the discussion form the ads, just to make it easier for people to advertise their gear. if clearer guideline can sort the better. It was just an idea, that's all.