Why become a member? ×

one finger (or thumb) vs two finger alternate plucking?

tedmanzie

I play with a pick but I'm trying to learn fingerstyle. I am finding the classic 'alternate' first and second finger plucking technique very difficult to get fluent. However I can play pretty well, (as far as I can tell), just using one finger. It's similar to playing only upstrokes using a pick, so while it might not get you [i]super fast[/i] picking, it seems covers most things.

What do you think? Am I making a terrible mistake here if I don't learn two-finger style?! Am I missing something by only using one finger?

Cheers
Ted

James Jamerson used one finger. He called it 'the hook'. So it can be done. It's just a lot easier if you persist at using both fingers. You'll get it eventually.

This guy is showing Jamersons technique .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsWlkamlqH4

Edited by gjones

Just work at the two finger picking slowly on a regular basis and it will come eventually. Your hand muscles are having to get used to working in a way they haven't done before. Don't rush it. Think back to when you started playing bass and how your left hand felt trying to fret notes.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1362927302' post='2006263']
gjones - when you say two fingers is easier, what do you mean? more fluent? less stress on one finger?
i don't mind working on two finger as long as i can understand the long term benefits :)
[/quote]

It's easier to play fast fluent basslines with two fingers. I play a lot of fast octaves which is difficult if you're only using one finger. A lot of the time I'll just use one finger for simpler stuff but it's good to have the option.

Learning two fingers alternating is good but there something to be said for being able to use one finger as well. Particularly on straight four or eight parts you'll often get a much greater evenness of tone using just one finger. I find that my index and ring fingers never sound quite the same, although probably no one except me is going to notice.

I tend to use two fingers, but think that you shouldn't worry to much if you're getting along fine with one stick with it. One finger is perfectly adequate for 8th notes it may start getting tricky when trying to get to 16th note stuff though. There is a good video here from Adam Neely about the merrits of the one finger technique and he echos your thoughts about the similarities of playing with a pick.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7I3LTRCF7Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7I3LTRCF7Y[/url]

Here is a clip of Chuck Rainey Explaining the technique to Tetsuo Sakurai,
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZC_jSyUmjQ"]https://www.youtube....h?v=gZC_jSyUmjQ[/url]

and a more extended piece using the one finger technique
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TAFWwqeHko
Jazzyvee

Edited by jazzyvee

I'd say keep practicing strict alternation up and down the strings. But when you're just jamming or having fun on the instrument go back to what you're comfortable with. When you play fast lines using two fingers WILL sound better and reduce the risk of tendonitis from using one finger too franticly.

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1363471466' post='2013232']
As another trying to move to two fingers, are there any specific exercises that anyone can suggest?

Thanks

Steve
[/quote]

this is good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNAYIfITgpw

right im new to this and also trying to see if i can learn the two finger technique and have found three (hopefully) useful ways which may help

1, using a clock with a pendulum i face it and when its on the left i use my index and when it goes to the right use my middle finger also good practice to help keep intime as long as you can ignore the tick tock but mine is quiet on my clock. Perhaps a metronome could also be used like this.

2, bobbing my head from left to right again left for index and right for middle

3, this one probably isnt applicable to most people but i was just staring at my turtles and they paddle left, right, left right when swimming so i just copied them and made a swiiming tune for them and when they paddled left it was index and right i used middle. You dont need to buy turtles though they take a lot of looking after and grow big

[quote name='andy159' timestamp='1363516801' post='2013473']
3, this one probably isnt applicable to most people but i was just staring at my turtles and they paddle left, right, left right when swimming so i just copied them and made a swiiming tune for them and when they paddled left it was index and right i used middle. You dont need to buy turtles though they take a lot of looking after and grow big
[/quote]

Easily the best exercise I've heard of, EVER. I think this could also be used as a cure for depression in bass players lol.

[quote name='andy159' timestamp='1363516801' post='2013473']
right im new to this and also trying to see if i can learn the two finger technique and have found three (hopefully) useful ways which may help

1, using a clock with a pendulum i face it and when its on the left i use my index and when it goes to the right use my middle finger also good practice to help keep intime as long as you can ignore the tick tock but mine is quiet on my clock. Perhaps a metronome could also be used like this.
[/quote]

this doesn't work coming down the scale if you use the raking technique when going from string to string, demonstrated in the scottbass video in my previous post. i.e. when you change strings (downwards) you will use the same finger for two consecutive notes. (difficult to explain, easy to see!)
you [i]can[/i] choose to alternate but in my efforts to learn with two fingers i think the raking technique is more economical and easier to play.

Edited by tedmanzie

i hadnt even tried raking yet and so after watching the vid back again yep dont work but great vid (and his others), I was suggesting the clock/pendulum/turtles in replacement for saying "I , M, I , M" for each finger stroke. im still learning too, and yeah turltes are cool, all pets are good for distressing even fish

Err you do what makes the music sound right, some people rake (I do) som epeople dont, some people use 1 finger ( I do on crotchets sometimes), some people use 2 fingers all the time (really helps alternating octaves), some of us use three fingers mainly: I do, ring-middle-index, its great for fluidly going up strings, I rake too so descending runs can easily be blisteringly fast if I want them to be, but ironing the triplet feel out of your playing can take years!

I also use just my thuumb for mellower sounding fat grooves, with palm muting for a realy nice deadened vibe, or chicken picking derivatives. Or anything else that works.

Of all the people on this forum as far as I am aware URB has taken different picking techniques further than anyone else I've heard, having mastered the Garrison technique (thumb and 3 fingers) a well as all that double thumping stuff. Its like a fluid groove machine set on "blow yer damn head off" :D

For me it just turned out that 3 fingers worked best, but I did have to sit down and work through some (a lot) of inconsistencies with the metronome to get it to work right without having to think about it at all. And going from 1 to 2 fingers you will have to do the same, remember whatever you do starting with your index finger you need to be equally adept at starting on your middle finger though!

• 2 weeks later...

I came to bass via rhythm guitar - and being self taught I never learnt to hold a plectrum properly - I use two fingers and thumb so the angle of attack is the same for up strokes and down strokes. The consequence of this is that there is nothing that I can do finger style that I can't do better with a plectrum and self taught damping with left and right hand. It's not just the notes - when I use a plectrum the bass 'sings' where with finger style the bass is being forced into submission!

If one finger sounds good - go with it!

• 1 month later...

I used to play with just one finger exclusively, I thought I would never be able to play with two, but it does come.

Problem is that the first finger I used to use has a heavier callous than the second finger, so they do sound different.

I now use that difference as part of my technique while the second fingertip toughens up!