Why become a member? ×

March Composition Competition

charic

Loving your tune Paul - perfect for the pic - I've got a bunch of ideas which I didn't have at the start of the week but I've literally got maybe Saturday afternoon or Sunday to record anything - so leaving it really late this time - if I don't make it so be it - hopefully do the next one....

FINALLY got mine written and the VST's all programmed, now I just need to mix it. Yours is great Skol, almost entirely opposite to mine, which should be interesting. Mine's not even remotely "video game" themed, but it IS angry. Definitely the most conventional song I've written for a while, it's mostly having fun in 6/8, except the first bit which is 3/8, and the breakdown bit which is 5/8, and a riff towards the end in 11/8, and there's a couple of random bars of 7/8 because that's the sort of thing I'm into. Hmm, maybe "conventional" is the wrong word, should be interesting to see how people react to it. I might slip a video game reference into the title, I just need to pick a good'un.....

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1363944732' post='2019795']Loving your tune Paul - perfect for the pic - I've got a bunch of ideas which I didn't have at the start of the week but I've literally got maybe Saturday afternoon or Sunday to record anything - so leaving it really late this time - if I don't make it so be it - hopefully do the next one....[/quote]
Cheers Mike! Glad you dig it mate :)

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1363967716' post='2020316']FINALLY got mine written and the VST's all programmed, now I just need to mix it. Yours is great Skol, almost entirely opposite to mine, which should be interesting. Mine's not even remotely "video game" themed, but it IS angry. Definitely the most conventional song I've written for a while, it's mostly having fun in 6/8, except the first bit which is 3/8, and the breakdown bit which is 5/8, and a riff towards the end in 11/8, and there's a couple of random bars of 7/8 because that's the sort of thing I'm into. Hmm, maybe "conventional" is the wrong word, should be interesting to see how people react to it. I might slip a video game reference into the title, I just need to pick a good'un.....[/quote]
Thanks Bob. Those time signatures you mention sound [i]very [/i]interesting...looking forward to hearing what you've come up with!

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1363913120' post='2019620']I have fallen into a bad trap that I have made for myself , I have written and mostly recorded................ a song , the daughters vocal doesn't really fit , and mine is totally sh1te , so I am trying some last ditch salvage solutions. I am really struck by how much is involved in doing this sort of stuff , it has given me a whole new appreciation of composition, recording and musical presentation .[/quote]
Stick with it Lurks...! I'd personally make a decision as to which is strongest - the vocal or the instrumentation, then re-write/re-work the other to fit. These monthly challenges have certainly helped me to keep things simple and avoid doing too much at once - which I used to be very guilty of in the past, resulting in music that was often too 'busy' with everything fighting for space. The 'mute' button is always your friend in such instances! Trying muting a few tracks and see if helps breathe some life into it.

Great track once again Skol, haven't done anything this month as I have been busy and I found it hard to get inspired by the pic. Was going to have a go at something about angry birds with a Viz (fat slags) type of slant on it, even had two friends who were going to sing it, but got side tracked with another project. May do it anyway for a laugh at some point. :)

Here's mine: [url="https://soundcloud.com/bobbass4k/war-has-changed"]https://soundcloud.com/bobbass4k/war-has-changed[/url]

It probably still needs stuff doing to it but I wanted to get it up while I was happy with it. I realize it's probably well outside most people's wheelhouses, but it's nice to have a finished song, although annoyingly it's one of the few ones I've ever written that I think is hurt by lack of vocal, but oh well.

I really wanted to enter this month & had a tune in my head, but I just haven't had any time. Come Monday, I have quite a bit of spare time for the whole week.
Well I'll use that time to listen to everyone's entries. :)

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1364000325' post='2020903']Great track once again Skol, haven't done anything this month as I have been busy and I found it hard to get inspired by the pic.[/quote]
Cheers Steve and thanks for the comments on SoundCloud. Appreciated!

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1364022957' post='2020947']Here's mine: [url="https://soundcloud.com/bobbass4k/war-has-changed"]https://soundcloud.c...war-has-changed[/url][/quote]
WOW! I really like this Bob. Sounds great thru my headphones. Nicely mixed (some clever panning going on) and everything sounds tight and well EQ'd. I didn't try counting the time signature(s), but I didn't notice anything sounding 'out of place' either (if that makes any sense??), which is as it should be. Good work mate!

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1364026385' post='2020973']
I went for the comical kids approach for the picture.[url="http://soundcloud.com/garrycribb/good-grief-theres-cossacks-in"] http://soundcloud.co...res-cossacks-in[/url][/quote]
Nice one Garry! You've totally nailed the Angry Birds vibe with this one. It would drop right into the game itself no problem! Sounds frickin' superb too. You somehow manage to get an enviably amount of stereo width and 'fullness' in your tracks... you'll have to spill the beans and tell me how it's done ;) Again, great work - and in one minute flat.

OK some crazy last minute gubbins from me... just went with minimal playing and maximum looping this time - Live 9's lovely Warp function came in handy too :)

[url="https://soundcloud.com/munkio/slapattakka-of-the-byrdz"]https://soundcloud.c...ka-of-the-byrdz[/url]

PS - it goes on a bit this one... kind of ended up like a Big Beat take on 'Come on My Selecta'... or something

Edited by urb

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1364054246' post='2021445']
WOW! I really like this Bob. Sounds great thru my headphones. Nicely mixed (some clever panning going on) and everything sounds tight and well EQ'd. I didn't try counting the time signature(s), but I didn't notice anything sounding 'out of place' either (if that makes any sense??), which is as it should be. Good work mate!
[/quote]

Thanks man, I wasn't sure about the mix, I finally got my ears syringed so I should be able to hear properly again but everything still sounds a bit muddier in my right ear so I wasn't sure about the balance, I was mostly working off just looking at the waveforms, good to know it worked. The original idea was to not have a single clean guitar, but I couldn't resist for one section, although I should have mixed the piano that doubles it higher.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1363973414' post='2020423']

Stick with it Lurks...! I'd personally make a decision as to which is strongest - the vocal or the instrumentation, then re-write/re-work the other to fit. These monthly challenges have certainly helped me to keep things simple and avoid doing too much at once - which I used to be very guilty of in the past, resulting in music that was often too 'busy' with everything fighting for space. The 'mute' button is always your friend in such instances! Trying muting a few tracks and see if helps breathe some life into it.
[/quote]

Cheers Skol
I WILL have something up by the end of the day , I have recored some strings and aahs to guide the melody and I will print the lyrics , so it may end up a self build song in your own heads , with a deconstructed presentation :D
I will alter the melody a touch to see if it helps Emmas vocal fit in and give it another go this afternoon , but I have had a listen to the other entries and they are top again , It kind of determined that my vocal wasn't up to it , anyway, onwards and upwards .

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1364065798' post='2021596']OK some crazy last minute gubbins from me... just went with minimal playing and maximum looping this time - Live 9's lovely Warp function came in handy too :)
[url="https://soundcloud.com/munkio/slapattakka-of-the-byrdz"]https://soundcloud.c...ka-of-the-byrdz[/url][/quote]

Nice one Mike! Lovely bass work mate. Good production too. I like all the phazey breaks and FX that you've added. Very nice indeed and really in tune with this month's theme. I'd be damn chuffed with this, even more so if it's a "last minute" attempt as you say :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1364154487' post='2022645']

Nice one Mike! Lovely bass work mate. Good production too. I like all the phazey breaks and FX that you've added. Very nice indeed and really in tune with this month's theme. I'd be damn chuffed with this, even more so if it's a "last minute" attempt as you say :)
[/quote]

Cheers Paul - I had one objective which was to create a mad synth/slap bass line - and looping takes the pressure off too - then it's all about going a bit nuts... that's why I love this comp each month - I can cut loose and try stuff out :) thanks for listening

Man, I always tinker around with my synths and think up little noodles on these monthly themes, and just as I'm about to sort of be ready, in a way, to lay something proper down, ish, the month comes to an end. I'm still playing a piano riff I came up with for February's landscape one, which I'm sure I could develop into something nice, maybe for around July.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1364054246' post='2021445']
Nice one Garry! You've totally nailed the Angry Birds vibe with this one. It would drop right into the game itself no problem! Sounds frickin' superb too. You somehow manage to get an enviably amount of stereo width and 'fullness' in your tracks... you'll have to spill the beans and tell me how it's done ;) Again, great work - and in one minute flat.
[/quote]

Cheers Paul - No tricks really, Just two Busses with Reverb and Delay. Buss one a short verb/Delay and Buss two a long verb or ambience/delay.
Prominent Instruments into Buss one, auxilary/supporting Instruments into Buss two.

Going to listen to all the tracks once the voting starts, I like to have a couple of listens to each.

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1364065798' post='2021596']
Live 9's lovely Warp function came in handy too :)
[/quote]

Been looking at Live 9 for rewire into my main DAW now it has gone 64 bit.
It seems to have a huge sound library.
The videos look great - Although it is a bit pricey.
You might have to give us a review Mike. :D

Garry