Why become a member? ×

Spector or Warwick - design not choice

ead

Pardon me for my ignorance in these matters but I notice the NS bases produced by Spector look very similar to some of the Warwick range. I presume Mr Steinburger had something to do with Warwick at some stage.

Did the Spector come first and what is the story please?

Alain

here's an opinion on the matter (there are several apparently), that sound accurate.

[url="http://www.warwick.de/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1020"]http://www.warwick.de/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1020[/url]

They are completely different basses though, in term of feel and sound (and even shape, the spectors are a bit smaller, I'd say between a Thumb and a Streamer).

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

I pretty sure both Warwickhunt and Cetera would be able to give you the full back story and all the little details in between as well.

But in short Warwick did "Borrow" the design of the Spector for a few years (In the very early days of Warwick) before it became a law suit and Warwick made some little changes to make it their own.

But as BSR said, having owned both a Streamer and a Spector I can happily say they are both different basses but are just as good, just some prefer Warwicks more over Spectors, I'd be happy with both:-)

Did someone say my name :)

When Warwick first started off they licensed the Streamer outline from Spector / Ned Steinberger (NS). I'm not privy to the details that ended that licensing agreement but Warwick ceased to be 'licensed by...' back in the 80's when they angled back their machine-heads and made a few subtle alterations :huh:

There are subtle differences in the body shape between the NS bass and the Streamer but TBH there are differences between the early Streamer and the later models so it's pretty much a matter of 'suck em and see' when deciding which you prefer (not which is best). There are also differences in the hardware etc but again... personal preference!

If you go to the 'W' forum you'll find (unsurprisingly) that most forumites will convince you that Warwick developed and bettered the original design; whereas Spector devotees will swear that the original is the best... they are both right :huh: I have to confess that I just love the Streamer/NS body shape and I've not been disappointed in many Spectors or Streamers that I've tried; some have just suited me better than others. My personal preference being early 'W' Streamers with the 2 piece bridge.

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='205670' date='May 24 2008, 07:21 PM']When Warwick first started off they licensed the Streamer outline from Spector / Ned Steinberger (NS). I'm not privy to the details that ended that licensing agreement but Warwick ceased to be 'licensed by...' back in the 80's when they angled back their machine-heads and made a few subtle alterations :huh:[/quote]

That's pretty much right. Basically, Stuart Spector/Ned Steinberger licensed the design to Warwick for a limited period. Warwick then sneakily stopped paying for the license and tried to get out of it by making a couple of very small changes (e.g. angle of tuners ). :)

Ned/Stuart sued Warwick and it was settled out of court but basically Warwick got away with it to a certain extent.

Funny thing is.... the original Warwick Streamers, which are basically Spector copies (with EMGs etc), are now among the most collectable and highly rated Warwicks.

I've played many Streamers (& obviously numerous Spectors!) and have to agree that the early Streamers ARE excellent and compare favourably to the classic Spectors. I'm not a fan of Warwicks from the last 15 years though..... :huh:

• 3 years later...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1328955599' post='1535196']
What year would an "early" Streamer be? Just out of interest....
[/quote]
No definitive answer I suppose (what is an early Jazz bass) though I'd have said pre 89 and IMHO it'd need to have the predominantly wenge neck (skinny maple stringers) rather than the maple neck (skinny wenge stringers). You do get late 80's basses with the wenge neck that have 2 piece bridges and I'd be fine with calling that early but some might consider that it'd need a 1 piece Schaller bridge to be early. If you wanted to be 'really' pedantic then you could say that [u]early[/u] might be the first Streamers (82/83) that had the spade headstock and straight tuners (as per Spector). Back to the Fender Jazz analogy; does an early Jazz have to have stack-knobs or be from the 60's be Pre-CBS... etc. ;)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1328974106' post='1535495']
I've both and much preferred my Spectors to my '86 Warwick.

Very different basses tonally - certainly the ones I've tried.

My personal favourite is the 5 string American Spector - some of these are fabulous to play :)
[/quote]
Nasty horrible Warwick... I'll do you a favour and take it off your hands! ;)

[quote name='NickSpector' timestamp='1328972971' post='1535476']
Wow, just found this pic, it is actually a Spector in disguise! lol

[url="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/Warwick_Streamer_1983.JPG"]http://upload.wikime...reamer_1983.JPG[/url]
[/quote]

Even if you compare old Spectors and Streamers, they sound 'different', but there is not the gulf between them then like there is now.

This old walnut bodied Spector with Bartolini pickups sounds like a 'hot' Streamer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aK-QFwaRZc