Why become a member? ×

Is a Musicmaster a good bass for studio use?

Beedster

Playing a lot of guitar these days, and finding the switch back and forth between 6-string and long scale bass (Precision) when recording a challenge. I've been offered a Musicmaster in a trade, what do you folks think?
C

I like Musicmasters, especially the early ones - they got very heavy like most Fenders in the late 70s and 80s.
I played a very nice 1976 one recently and I'd be happy to own it (if I could afford it).
The intonation wasn't perfect and difficult to get right due to the shared saddles, but it's close enough for jazz :)

It could even be the same bass - the owner is from down your way.

apart from the cool factor i cant quite see the point ...the shorter strings just dont sound that great unless your just going for some kind of wump ...the low e especially is quite unmusical... i learnt on one in the 70s which is what they are great for but couldnt wait to get onto a long scale.

Aha!! I know the answer to this one - a girl in Cardiff both records and tours with a vintage musicmaster (I shall find the band name for you), question is, are you talking about the bass or guitar version?

EDIT: Victorian English Gentleman's Club - she works at the Recording Studios where OldGit held the Welsh BC Bash. She has a '77 Musicmaster Bass in Banana Yellow.

Edited by Schnozzalee

Give it a go. You can always move it on if it doesn''t suit, but living with it is the only way you will find out. Over the years on here I notice that you aren't shy to move stuff on... :) I recently got my hands on a '77 one and it is lovely (if a little battle scarred) and it has a gorgeous warm woody tone that is similar to, but lighter than, a P.Bass. Even the intonation is live-with-able.

Having owned one I would say that a Mustang offers more sound flexibility and the RI's are quieter.

Musicmasters really do have an individual sound; heavy on the bass, quite aggressive sounding. Certainly not hi-fi and I found the tone knob did little. Perhaps liken it to an Orange Bass Terror?

Great for rock, punk and other noisy styles. Handles fuzz and distortion well too.

I can't really see what benefits a Musicmaster would have over a bog standard P or Mustang.

Truckstop