Why become a member? ×

Bass Centre 'Bill Wyman' Bass

BetaFunk

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1362070091' post='1995336']
I remember an interview with him where he mentioned that he couldn't handle the weight of a big bass, so he had this one made.
[/quote]
The Bass Centre 'Wyman' Bass is loosely based around his Short Scale Dallas Tuxedo Bass that was made in 1959 that now sits in a case in his restaurant.
It was originally a single cutaway (LP Type) but it was modified to make a double cutaway and had a bit shaved off the body. The Bass Centre versions have been on sale since 2011 and (apart from the price of £595) i like 'em.

You can see it here:

[url="http://www.basscentre.com/user/uploads/wymanreview.pdf"]http://www.basscentr...wymanreview.pdf[/url]

Edited by BetaFunk

Yeah I have to laugh - I think its a first too.

Well IMHO BW never had a decent sound anyway, so why would you want to buy one ? In todays market there are some fantastic basses in that price range so I wouldnt be looking to buy just because its got BW's name on it thats for sure.

All best

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1362051332' post='1994942']
I remember reading somewhere that Bill found it uncomfortable playing full size basses.
Not sure if that's really true or not?
[/quote]

Don't know, but he also played a Mustang bass.

I'm currently reading, on & off, Keith's "Life" auto-biog. So far I'm up to where Brian's started to big himself up & had to be covered in the studio & some gigs. I've noticed already there's been very little mention of Bill, apart from his first joining.

Is this a deliberate snub, or did BW really play a small part in the band history?

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1362700214' post='2003738']
I'm currently reading, on & off, Keith's "Life" auto-biog. So far I'm up to where Brian's started to big himself up & had to be covered in the studio & some gigs. I've noticed already there's been very little mention of Bill, apart from his first joining.

Is this a deliberate snub, or did BW really play a small part in the band history?
[/quote]

According to BW in his autobiography, [i]Stone Alone[/i], he was never really 'in' with the Stones, especially after Mick & Keith tightened up control and Brian was out. Wyman and Watts were apparently pretty good friends, being somewhat alike in temperament. But another factor was that Wyman was about eight years older than the others, and at the beginning (and as a married man), this made a difference. As bass player, he seems to have been just a secondary Stone in most ways. And as another poster noted here, he never did much that anyone especially remembers. One of the Stones' most memorable bass lines, at the beginning of 'Live with Me,' was written by Keith.

[quote name='Wylie' timestamp='1362700638' post='2003751']
According to BW in his autobiography, [i]Stone Alone[/i], he was never really 'in' with the Stones, especially after Mick & Keith tightened up control and Brian was out. Wyman and Watts were apparently pretty good friends, being somewhat alike in temperament. But another factor was that Wyman was about eight years older than the others, and at the beginning (and as a married man), this made a difference. As bass player, he seems to have been just a secondary Stone in most ways. And as another poster noted here, he never did much that anyone especially remembers. One of the Stones' most memorable bass lines, at the beginning of 'Live with Me,' was written by Keith.
[/quote]

That kinda tidied up the story then, thanks! The age gap was mentioned & the story about him having the gear that they wanted to use. Keith was using an acoustic with a bodged in pickup at one time.