Why become a member? ×

Help me choose my next bass!

ChickenKiev

Hey folks, I've recently become the bassist for a local band, and I'm taking the opportunity to grab a new bass. The reason being is that I want a fresh start with an awesome-sauce new gigging and recording machine!

The band I'm joining is hardcore/metalcore, so I've been eyeing up a thunderbird-type bass, as from what I've seen they are perfect for rock an metal (and they look drop dead gorgeous too!). However, I don't want to fork out for a proper gibson as they are a bit out of my price range, but also I would be terrified to take a £1000+ bass on the road!

After searching around, I've found three nice alternatives in the £300-£450 mark.

The first is an Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV
[IMG]http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p611/jamesyjamesyjamesy/15E34121-D8AD-448D-B4E7-47DDA8DEBCD0-1803-0000031564DB54BE_zpsfb811225.jpg[/IMG]

Second is an ltd Phoenix 204
[IMG]http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p611/jamesyjamesyjamesy/7406F86B-0ED0-450C-BB99-4EDFA56AB937-1803-000003156AD23692_zpse17c66d6.jpg[/IMG]

Lastly a Schecter Ultra Bass.
[IMG]http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p611/jamesyjamesyjamesy/C186806D-7B36-4043-B861-F42B558C7FA8-1803-000003155D690520_zpsd0d74f6f.jpg[/IMG]

My question is really, which should I get? Has anyone had any experiences with these basses? I'm wondering more about the ltd and the Schecter than the Epiphone because I've already read plenty about the Pro IV 'birds.

I`d look into what wood the body is made of. Gibsons are made of mahogany, whereas some of the old Epis were made of alder, so have a fairly different sound, being "toppier". That said, you can`t go wrong with an Epi, but to throw in a curveball, there`s a Tokai Thunderbird for sale on here, and these get very good write-ups.

Edited by Lozz196

Personally you can't go wrong with either a Fender Jazz or Fender P bass, typical I know but they are the bread and butter and have tons of pick ups to allow for you to find the right sound, honestly the best way to find a new bass is to just go and have a play.

But on the basses you list, I don't mind the Epiphone TBird, it's fairly heavy and not balanced how I like but, you can get some great tones from them! Personally I'm not a great fan of the LTDs never liked their tone. Schecters are great if you find the right one for you. Which brings us back to the whole try for yourself :)

[quote name='ChickenKiev' timestamp='1361915877' post='1993148']
The band I'm joining is hardcore/metalcore, so I've been eyeing up a thunderbird-type bass, as from what I've seen they are perfect for rock an metal (and they look drop dead gorgeous too!).

[/quote]

Some sincere and friendly advice from someone who has played a Gibson T-Bird. I think you have summed up T-Birds in that sentence of yours "from what I have SEEN they are perfect for rock and metal" Exactly, you need to close your eyes and use your ears and you may change your mind. T-Birds have always looked very "rock" and they truly appeal to the eyes and look very tough on stage slung all low and black. However you will find that very few rock or metal bassists record with Thunderbirds (they are often reserved for the live show), and although there are many exceptions I would say they are not a foundational instrument in either rock or metal. I.E. both genres could get along fine without them. Their sound sits very far down in the mix and the T-Bird is really the bread and butter of bands where they hope the bassist will not be heard. If you think of really killer aggressive or melodic metal or rock bassists, the ones that played a T-Bird are few (I know I know there are several that made great stuff with them, but seriously). Many T-Bird players are more like stage accessories. Think Nikki Sixx (inaudible T-Bird rumble) vs Steve Harris (hard hitting P-Bass Fury)...not that you have to be lightning fast and noodly like Steve, but I think if you decide on a T-Bird style bass, choose the one that sound most like a Fender, or change your mind. I bought one and it looked really cool. Sounded like mud and I sold it with a tear in my eye because is was beautiful, but hey that's just me. In my opinion, for real metal attitude get a black precision-style bass, or anything else that has attack and presence, and put a pentagram on the scratchplate or something to make it look the part. Skip the T-Bird and spend that money on a better amp.

A lot of rock bassists go through a T-Bird phase, but very few are devoted to this instrument. I think it frustrates most people to the point where they get rid of it. You may be the exception, but take time to think this through carefully if you are on a budget like me, and cant afford to have a bass collection. Look and listen to what the people you really like play, and maybe take that as a starting point. Maybe the T-Bird knock-offs and versions solve the tone issues I had with my genuine T-Bird? I don't know.

Edited by kidcongo

Wow, so many replies :o, I'll try and address a few.

Okay, I like the Corvette $$, those two giant pickups look like sex, but I'm quite a big guy, and I honestly look ridiculous with small bodied instruments. I generally prefer larger bodies, strung low to hide my crotch and belly :D. I have a jazz bass (he wants a different bass when he has a jazz??) and that's the perfect size for me, and I figured t'birds' body size + shape would offer the same 'protection'.

Is there anything I could do to counterbalance the muddiness of t'birds? I'll most probably be playing with a pick, so that would help add some punch and definition, but how much exactly? Also, are there any third-party thunderbird pickups that could help? Lastly, what would happen if I added a brass nut?

The bassist from a band called Attack Attack uses a Phoenix live, and the tone of his bass is amazing, although I'm 90% sure he recorded using a p-bass and possibly used something like a Tech21 sans amp pedal:

[IMG]http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p611/jamesyjamesyjamesy/BE2AE517-46B1-43E9-BA7A-4A07EBD700C0-1803-000003D676E381A0_zpsb3c77554.jpg[/IMG]

Just a quick note - be careful with the Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV vs Epiphone Thunderbird Classic-IV Pro.

Tiny difference in name, completely different instruments. The Pro IV is active, and doesn't really sound much like the classic TBird. So from what people have said, it might be quite a good option. The Classic-IV Pro is fully passive with actual Gibby humbuckers. The one I tried some time ago sounded bloody gorgeous, but the QC was horrible.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' timestamp='1361961907' post='1993577']
A brass nut would only affect the sound of the open string. As soon as you fret a note the nut is out of the equation! :)

I'd go for a good old P bass! It's Simple and fits almost any style :)
[/quote]

+1 on this . I have always found the Thunderbird pretty unusable due to the poor ergonomics , whereas a Fender sounds great with fingers or a pick and is very comfortable to play . Xilddx suggestion of a used Warwick is a good one too . Warwick basses have got a great sound for agressive rock music and will help you get heard in the mix . A good Thunderbird has got a nice earthy tone that suits rock music , but there are plenty of other basses that might be more suitable for what you want . Remember to consider weight and overall comfort as well as the actual sound of the bass .

[quote name='Dr M' timestamp='1361962572' post='1993584']
The Pro IV is active, and doesn't really sound much like the classic TBird. So from what people have said, it might be quite a good option.
[/quote]

This. I had one for a while and it really only resembles a Gibson T-Bird in the shape. As said, it is active - completely different tones available to the thud of a Gibson. It also has a skinny Jazz profile neck and *doesn't* neck dive. Good range of sounds, fairly lightweight to wear. Worth checking out. I didn't keep it because I am over 50 and overweight and it just felt wrong to be wearing it somehow. This is more for slim-hipped youngsters wearing their basses by their knees.

But, as everyone else has said, you can't go wrong with a P Bass.

The only way you are going to find the ideal bass for you is by trying them all out, get together a short list and find a shop local to you that does all those basses and get down there and spend a good few hours trying the all out, play the stuff you are going to be playing on it and find out if it suits you, it might not look the most rocky of basses but if you get the right sound out of it and it feels great then its a no brainer!

Do let us all know what you decide on, I'm sure we are all curious to see what suits you!

[quote name='ChickenKiev' timestamp='1361953768' post='1993421']
Wow, so many replies :o, I'll try and address a few.

Okay, I like the Corvette $$, those two giant pickups look like sex, but I'm quite a big guy, and I honestly look ridiculous with small bodied instruments. I generally prefer larger bodies, strung low to hide my crotch and belly :D. I have a jazz bass (he wants a different bass when he has a jazz??) and that's the perfect size for me, and I figured t'birds' body size + shape would offer the same 'protection'.

Is there anything I could do to counterbalance the muddiness of t'birds? I'll most probably be playing with a pick, so that would help add some punch and definition, but how much exactly? Also, are there any third-party thunderbird pickups that could help? Lastly, what would happen if I added a brass nut?

The bassist from a band called Attack Attack uses a Phoenix live, and the tone of his bass is amazing, although I'm 90% sure he recorded using a p-bass and possibly used something like a Tech21 sans amp pedal:

[/quote]

In all seriousness, in order of importance :

Playability
Sound
Look

I'm willing to put pretty good money on the warwick beating any of your thunderbird shaped basses on playability and sound.

If you "must" go thunderbird then I recommend modifying. Maybe some EMG's in there would wake it up a bit :D

It's not essential for me to choose a thunderbird, but I just love the look of them too much for me not to be hugely swayed :D.

I was thinking the ltd with some EMGs and possibly a brass nut might be my decision, but I'll definitely try and find somewhere to try the bass out; easier said than done as I can imagine it's not the easiest to find. At first I was tempted to get the ultra bass and get some active EMGs, but it doesn't have a battery box, so I would have to mess around finding a luthier or buying the tools to do it myself, which would NOT end well. The ltd already has one so it'd be a simple rewire job.

I'll keep you all posted as to my decision. Thanks for the input guys.

T-Birds can fit in the mix nicely, they`re not all about mush. Frankie The Pirate, of The Darkness uses one, and he gets a great sound. All it takes is a careful bit of eq-ing.

Having had a couple of Epi T-Birds, my thoughts are they`re great fun for a while, but I got a bit tired of needing a case bigger than most cars, and the constant neck-dive. That said, what gets on my nerves may not get on everyones, so I`d recommend trying one.

Yes, there are better basses out there, but for the fun-factor, and the looks, T-Birds are great. Plus, having quite slim necks they`re fairly easy to play, once you get past the putting your hand where you would normally find an F is and realising you`re on a G, due to the size of the things.

Oh yeah..that's another point. I drive a mini! That's going to be a riot.

I hope the muddiness isn't going to be that much of an issue (fingers crossed). Careful EQing and all that. I have a Hartke 3500 bass head which has 10 band graphic EQ, so I just need to find what works the best in the bands' mix. Being the inaudible presence that rattles the audiences' ribcage is all well and good, but I would like to be heard too :D.

Okay, I think I've settled on the ltd, but I'd really want to try it out in the flesh first. I'm used to jazz bass necks, so if it has a slim neck I'm sold. I still reckon a precision bass is on the cards too if I want to record. I like the look of the American Precision Deluxes.