Why become a member? ×

A lefty lament...

leftyhook

What an outrage! Some poor bugger has paid [b]£370.25p [/b]in a bidding war on ebay for a bass that costs only [b]£369 new [/b]as a right hander.

Did they research???? or just desperate for a model that is probably like hens teeth to get hold of in a south paw model?

The pain of being a lefty

Hope it was worth it

No it wasn't me! [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBANEZ-Artcore-AGB200-Semi-Hollow-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Trans-Brown-Left-Hand-/160975929372?ssPageName=ADME%3AB%3AWNA%3AGB%3A1123&nma=true&si=GdBI4HiRE43JAU5sGFGD1UmbOhY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2557[/url]

My Wal custom didnt cost any more as a lefty. in fact they put together a makeshift lefty for me to try when i visited the factory in 1983.
Now that's the difference between Custom-made and mass production ;)

Edited by leftyhook

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1361710020' post='1989515']
I would have thought that if you're used to a custom-built Wal that you've played for ages then the Artcore probably wouldn't quite cut it, nice as it looks.
myspace.com/wordsofhopefulconsolation :rolleyes:
[/quote]

G-A-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-ssssssssss leak!

I help out now and then in a bass shop and I have to admit that we hardly ever get any lefty players in or even enquires for them.

Could be a bit 'chicken and egg' though as we rarely get any lefties in stock to begin with. I think we've sold about 3 in the past year out of 4 we've had in stock.

We've had a Wood & Tronics one in for a while but I can't remember the last time we had a left handed player in to even try it :(

Very true. As I was saying to you on FB, one of the problems with us "true lefties" is that the market is even smaller and less dynamic due to a number of left-handed people learning to play right-handed.
I've heard all the reasons - "playing a guitar is difficult in any case, so I may as well learn to play the kind that offers more options"; "I'm actually using my strong hand, the left, to fret as opposed to plucking" and so on and so forth. Quite apart from actually finding a lefty bass easier to play than a righty - cos I'm a lefty, duh - I make a point of trying to remind manufacturers that we exist, and would they mind at least making stuff ambidextrous, if possible. It's an uphill struggle.

Edited by bluejay

Best bet is to have one custom made by a luthier to ones own spec.

But..... on the other hand.....

I played an upside down Ibanez Blazer for a few years and having to hold onto the neck to stop it stage-diving became second nature. It's not such a big deal once you adapt.
I learned to play strings wrong way around ( Lee Pomeroy and Bob Geldof to name 2) but changed eventually. I can now play a guitar( not brilliantly but can get arounf chords np) and bass strung both ways. It's all about adapting.
Look at Hendrix. he chose to play upside down even thought he could use any guitar he looked at.

That must have been painful for the buyer, I'm on the lookout for one of those Artcore's but although I am left handed I play bass right handed so wouldn't be looking to pay that much second hand, shame, they seem to go for £180-250 in the right handed version.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1361740385' post='1990189']
I have a fascination with trying to find a right handed bass player that has accidentally learnt on a lefty bass upside down, the reverse of the Doves guy who plays a right hooker left handed for example, there must be one?
[/quote]

very much doubt that would be!
as for playing a righty left handed....... did it for years.
not much reach on a Fender style but there are many bassists playing right handed basses upside down.

At the risk of enraging the lefty community, I have to admit that I've never understood why left handed guitars/basses exist. You don't get left handed pianos, clarinets, flutes, violins, cellos, etc so why do you get left handed guitars? When you start learning, both hands need to learn a new skill, and I've never understood why it matters which way round you do it. If cellists and violinists can manage, so can guitarists/bassists, surely?

NB: For the pedants, yes left handed orchestral instruments exist, but they are so rare as to not count :P