Why become a member? ×

Magnets

Greggo

Good afternoon,

Tried to do a search on this but not seen anything similiar..

Has anyone tried changing the magnets in their pickups in their basses before (rather than replace pickup comletey)

I've discovered that magnet swapping can be pretty easy and thanks to a thread on jemsite. Im going to be doing this on an ibanez guitar ive got where im swapping the magnet in neck pickup to the one in the bridge and vice versa.

I thought I would also try this on my bass, but buying a repalcement magnet (the website [url="http://www.cermag.co.uk/buy_guitar_pickup_magnet.html"]http://www.cermag.co.uk/buy_guitar_pickup_magnet.html[/url] sells guitar/bass magnets and they seem reasonable)

I've got a MM style bass which has a wilkinson ceramic pickup. It sounds pretty decent, but has quite an aggresive tone as stock and wouldnt mind taming it.

I've heard good things about the alnico 5 seymour duncans, so thought this would be a cheap mod that would put it in same ball park (hopefully) as one of theirs.

Does anyone know if MM humbuckers use rod magnets or bar magnets?

Thanks

MM buckers have big magnetic poles, pretty sure. Not sure how much benefit there will be to swapping magnets, new different pickups is often cheaper (because you still have the old pickup), more predicatble/known quantity, less effort, and you haven't destroyed your old pickup if you don't prefer.

Just realised after reading more into it the mm pickup is magnetic pole pieces rather than a singular bar magnetic bar like in the guitar humbucker I'm planning on modding so will shelve this idea!

It's an interesting mod though if someone has an Ibanez rg series with v7 and v8 pickups - the bridge as stock has alnico whereas neck has ceramic and when swapping bar magnets over from one to other is meant to improve tone of each pickup respectively, as the pickups are known for being muddy in stock configuration.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1361836284' post='1991873']
I'm sorry I don't have anything to help here, but I was just attracted by the thread title...
[/quote]

Don't find that funny at all. Obviously we're poles apart. ;)

Anyway, I thought old magnets sounded better? Or is that just with guitars?

• 2 weeks later...

This is the underside of the alnico pickup on my MM Stingray 5 Classic, taken today during a string change because I'm also confused by the ceramic/alnico debate! I suspect it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to introduce pole pieces into a ceramic pickup unless the 'framework' is the same. A straight swap with a SD Basslines or similar would be infinitely easier, and as an earlier posted suggested, much easier to swap back if you don't care for the results! Ernie Ball famously don't sell replacement pickups, so your options are a little limited.

I'll post some pictures if anyone's interested. The Wilkinson musicman humbuckers uses steel pole pieces and ceramic bar magnets so a different set up to eb mm pickups. I did this mod on an Ibanez guitar and it was very easy and results noticeable. In that situation the neck had ceramic and bridge had alnico bar magnets so switching them over led to a hotter bridge and warmer neck.

I'm hoping alnico magnets in this wilkinson will give a warmer tone and take away some of the aggressiveness.

Edited by Greggo

• 6 months later...

Back in the late '60's, before there was such a thing as an after-market pickup, the first experiments were those who sold ceramic magnet bars to replace the alnico magnet bars in Gibson humbuckers. This was easy, as all a person had to do was unsolder the cover, loosen the bottom plate screws, and switch out the magnets. Well, the ceramic magnets, not having any electrical conduction properties, had the effect of lowering the inductance of the pickup. This made the pickup brighter, but could also cause magnetic coil saturation and harshness. Later, companies like Larry DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan (who was working in Fender's London shop, learning how to fix pickups and other aspects of guitar repair) took those same magnets, but wound the coils differently, whether with more of the same wire, or a different wire, or even developing different magnets, and started the after-market pickup market. (Mighty-Mite was there, also, but went into necks instead). Others, like Dan and Kent Armstrong, first started as a repair shop, then expanded: Dan with the plexiglas guitars, and later Kent with the pickups. And so it goes with the rest of the famous after-market pickup names. Alnico II: darker, smoother tone. Alnico III: good presence. Alnico V: top end and clarity; Alnico VIII: Ballsy, can be difficult to control, depending on the windings; Ceramic: no conductive interaction, so the same gauss will lower the inductance, increase brightness and clarity, but taken over the edge with gauss or the wrong coil can sound harsh.

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1380552785' post='2226960']
Back in the late '60's, before there was such a thing as an after-market pickup, the first experiments were those who sold ceramic magnet bars to replace the alnico magnet bars in Gibson humbuckers. This was easy, as all a person had to do was unsolder the cover, loosen the bottom plate screws, and switch out the magnets. Well, the ceramic magnets, not having any electrical conduction properties, had the effect of lowering the inductance of the pickup. This made the pickup brighter, but could also cause magnetic coil saturation and harshness. Later, companies like Larry DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan (who was working in Fender's London shop, learning how to fix pickups and other aspects of guitar repair) took those same magnets, but wound the coils differently, whether with more of the same wire, or a different wire, or even developing different magnets, and started the after-market pickup market. (Mighty-Mite was there, also, but went into necks instead). Others, like Dan and Kent Armstrong, first started as a repair shop, then expanded: Dan with the plexiglas guitars, and later Kent with the pickups. And so it goes with the rest of the famous after-market pickup names. Alnico II: darker, smoother tone. Alnico III: good presence. Alnico V: top end and clarity; Alnico VIII: Ballsy, can be difficult to control, depending on the windings; Ceramic: no conductive interaction, so the same gauss will lower the inductance, increase brightness and clarity, but taken over the edge with gauss or the wrong coil can sound harsh.
[/quote]

Fascinating stuff! When it comes to Stingrays specifically, I've personally always preferred the sound of pickups with alnico magnets to ceramics, but there are so many variables, I find it all a bit bewildering. Best of luck to the OP with the changeover, and I look forward to hearing about the results.

[quote name='d-basser' timestamp='1380620237' post='2227833']
Out of interest what size where the magnets in your pickup and where are you getting the replacement Alnicos? I am currently sourcing parts for a build and finding the right size of Alnico bar magnets is proving to be pain
[/quote]

The magnets in my MM type pickup are 80 x 15mm, but the ones Ive ordered are a bit smaller (62 x 12mm) but will still cover all the steel pole pieces as I measured. The tech guy from AxesRus gave some good advice - he said to dip the new magnets in melted wax thats still warm then place in pickup - the wax will seal them in better with them being a bit smaller size and will pot them as well, which is a bonus.

I got magnets from this site in the end as bit cheaper than axesrus for the alnico set :-

[url="http://www.cermag.co.uk/buy_guitar_pickup_magnet.html"]http://www.cermag.co...kup_magnet.html[/url]

Edited by Greggo

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1380622526' post='2227875']
The magnets in my MM type pickup are 80 x 15mm, but the ones Ive ordered are a bit smaller (62 x 12mm) but will still cover all the steel pole pieces as I measured. The tech guy from AxesRus gave some good advice - he said to dip the new magnets in melted wax thats still warm then place in pickup - the wax will seal them in better with them being a bit smaller size and will pot them as well, which is a bonus.

I got magnets from this site in the end as bit cheaper than axesrus for the alnico set :-

[url="http://www.cermag.co.uk/buy_guitar_pickup_magnet.html"]http://www.cermag.co...kup_magnet.html[/url]
[/quote]

The coil needs potting, rather than the magnet, magnet isn't made of various loose bits that can move.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1380628044' post='2228003']
The coil needs potting, rather than the magnet, magnet isn't made of various loose bits that can move.
[/quote]

Coils are not exposed when I took the magnets out, just the metal slugs that the magnet will sit on.

Edited by Greggo

[quote name='d-basser' timestamp='1380635813' post='2228204']
I think what Foxen meant was that the magnets do not really need potted. I personally would test fit the magnets dry and if you like the sound then more securely fit them using epoxy.
[/quote]

Ah ok - yeah sounds like a plan.