Why become a member? ×

Unfair end of a deal!

dragan

Well,to say this first - I am not blaming Bass Chat whatsoever, it is great site with lots of good threads,information and great chaps,I am sure,but some people uses this to scam others. I am not robbed too,but this is pretty ugly situation.

I had a bass for sale,there is a link for the thread:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/193315-fsftfeeler-vox-phantom1965-rare/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

some people were interested,however when they heard that I am from Sarajevo,they lost interest in dealing. I can understand,there is a great deal of a distance between UK and my country.
On the other hand,people from Stuart Zender forum dealt with me in the past, had trust and everything ended well for both sides.
Ask Simon,or Kevin Lindsay (he's a registered user here aswell) for Dragan and you'll see.
What happened next is this man "XXXX" sent me a PM and email with interest about buying my bass. I said that delivery could be arranged either via DHL (so we are sure bass is fast and secure with no tax issues etc) or somebody could take bass to London.
Fortunately I have several friends travelling to UK occasionaly.

It happened that my friend was about to go to London in next few days so I arranged hand delivery for that gentleman.
Needless to say,he was very eager about buying bass,he received a bunch of detailed pics and we agreed on the transaction.
I didn't even asked for a deposit to secure myself (how foolish of me) I just trusted him and I gave my friend a bass guitar to be carried into plane and everything.

The day he met with my friend was yesterday, he got into appartment and started "investigating" the bass and very soon started with [i]"this looks like well worn instrument,all those dings and dents"[/i] (even he saw all the photos and agreed that bass had busy life,but that's perfectly OK) than he went and said that he can buy a new bass guitar for that money, and he has 1000 euros (price were set for 3000) so if she wants to take that money.
Lately,he wrote an e mail to me and said that he expected everything would be original (and it is!) and that he "didn't like the bass,sorry." He expected that I'd be into trouble with delivering the bass to UK and back and that I will agree on give anything solution.

His name is XXXX so if you happen to have some kind of a deal with this person,be aware!

BTW Bass is in London now,so if there is someone interested in this rare vintage bass guitar now may easily check it .

Thank you for your time.

Dragan

Edited by Gust0o

Doesn't sound like you've lost ownership of the bass though? €3000 is a lot of cash for a bass & IMHO the guy couldn't commit to that kind of outlay without physically seeing it, no matter how good the pics are.

You may be disappointed, but I don't think you've been ripped off.

Also, for future reference, not accusing XXXX in any way at all, but be very wary of high value sales via a forum with folk with little history there. Which is about the same as an Ebay deal asking those with little feedback to email first.

Edited by Gust0o

If the guy had E1000 on him, sounds like it was the plan all along. If the price is agreed, its done, if there is an unforseen problem, don't complete the deal, don't try and renegotiate with someone who isn't a party to it, and if a third party is doing both parties a favour, putting them in the spot like that is serious bad etiquette.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1361464110' post='1986107']
If the guy had E1000 on him, sounds like it was the plan all along. If the price is agreed, its done, if there is an unforseen problem, don't complete the deal, don't try and renegotiate with someone who isn't a party to it, and if a third party is doing both parties a favour, putting them in the spot like that is serious bad etiquette.
[/quote]

Yes, that doesn't look like cricket to me at all. Although judgement should be reserved until we know more, or are we allowed to make assumptions based on speculation in the absence of any evidence, and after a few pints of snakebite?

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1361464658' post='1986119']
Hi Dragan, sorry to hear about the hassle mate.

For those interested, Dragan's band supported U2 when they played their famous gig in Sarajevo. And, Bono sang on one of their songs too, pretty cool. He's a really great guy, totally honest and trustworthy.
[/quote]
That's quite a claim to fame! Amazing. Adam Clayton joins the Beatles and Lieutenant Pigeon on the Basschat[i] 'Do not slag off as certain members may be offended' [/i]list :D

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1361463620' post='1986095']
Doesn't sound like you've lost ownership of the bass though? €3000 is a lot of cash for a bass & IMHO the guy couldn't commit to that kind of outlay without physically seeing it, no matter how good the pics are.

You may be disappointed, but I don't think you've been ripped off.

Also, for future reference, not accusing XXXX in any way at all, but be very wary of high value sales via a forum with folk with little history there. Which is about the same as an Ebay deal asking those with little feedback to email first.
[/quote]

I should lost ownership on the bass so you would share sympathy,eh?
[b]" €3000 is a lot of cash for a bass & IMHO the guy couldn't commit to that kind of outlay without physically seeing it, no matter how good the pics are." [/b]-that goes in his defense?

as I said, I am not robbed,but like clearly pointed - this guy saw bunch of photos,he presented him self as a Vox admirer,he clearly stated that he is buying the bass if I just arrange delivery. He said he is playing Vox Phantom bass for well over 35 years and he desperately wants to buy the one.
He didnt said[i] "If you deliver, I will check and think,he said - I am buying the bass,do you need a cash deposit first[/i]"etc etc...

Thank You Kevin and others!!!

Edited by Gust0o

[quote name='dragan' timestamp='1361465210' post='1986135']
as I said, I am not robbed,but like clearly pointed - this guy saw bunch of photos,he presented him self as a Vox admirer,he clearly stated that he is buying the bass if I just arrange delivery. He said he is playing Vox Phantom bass for well over 35 years and he desperately wants to buy the one.
He didnt said[i] "If you deliver, I will check and think,he said - I am buying the bass,do you need a cash deposit first[/i]"etc etc...

[/quote]

Exactly. Some people just don't know how to do business. Luckily the unreliable jive-ass dipsticks I have dealt with on BC were few and never got to the point of a near handover. Except for one no show who I cleared a Saturday for.

[quote name='dragan' timestamp='1361465210' post='1986135']I should lost ownership on the bass so you would share sympathy,eh?[/quote]

Not saying that at all, of course it's a shame you've been messed around - I'm saying it could have been a lot worse. Your mate was going anyway, so he carried an extra case, I've done that bit myself for folk.
There are cases on here, one recently where people have been out of pocket - until mods helped out.
You'll be more cautious the next time, personally I would have been wary of only getting a keen buyer with a handful of posts - but you'll watch out for that too - if there's a next time.

Depending on how much the friend carrying it in London will help you, maybe you could have it valued while it's there? Maybe at Vintage & Rare in Denmark St or any other experts that other BCers could suggest?

Edited by Big_Stu

[b]" €3000 is a lot of cash for a bass & IMHO the guy couldn't commit to that kind of outlay without physically seeing it, no matter how good the pics are." [/b]-that goes in his defense?

[/quote]

If I'd arranged a personal courier for an instrument to take it overseas by their very own hand, I'd feel pretty robbed.

[/quote]

Hang fire mate before you start 'picking' friends and alienating others! Folks may well contribute to this thread that have seen a great many similar threads and they MAY know from experience that not everything is always clear cut. Some of us have been around the block a few times and it can pay to offer perspectives to help others.

IF the guy only had £1000 in his pocket and fully intended to bat you down then that is NOT on however if he had some cash and was going to go get the rest from the bank but on seeing the bass decided that it wasn't as described then he is well within his rights to walk away... just saying. ;)

no fire here.I don't want to explain further more. if that seems like right,then I'd love to see you (warwickhunt) in same situation. i.e.,you re selling the bass and I tell you I am [b]buying[/b] it,just arrange personal courier to get it here,and when you complete that, I am showing and saying,ouch,I don=t actually like it now, I may pay it 3 times less,otherwise, get that bass back to England,thanx!

The problem I have here is 3000euros down to 1000euros.

I don't know what arrangemenst thr guy may have had to get the extra 2000euros but I would have thought that would have had to have been in place with the bank..or he had it on him.
If the buyer had ok'd the photos then a 2000euro off the price offer is pretty bad... If he had doubts, he should have talked therm through with you...
I understand 3000eu price is something to be very picky over...but the lowball offer..???
Just as well your courier had the good sense to walk away.

In fact, I think you were lucky ...

I think the suggestion of a valuation is ok.. but then the only one that really matters is your own

[quote name='dragan' timestamp='1361467820' post='1986200']
no fire here.I don't want to explain further more. if that seems like right,then I'd love to see you (warwickhunt) in same situation. i.e.,you re selling the bass and I tell you I am [b]buying[/b] it,just arrange personal courier to get it here,and when you complete that, I am showing and saying,ouch,I don=t actually like it now, I may pay it 3 times less,otherwise, get that bass back to England,thanx!
[/quote]

Take a pill mate.

I've already pointed out that 'IF' what you say is true and he had a full set of images of the bass with everything disclosed, no hidden surprises and he turned up with a grand after you'd gone to that trouble then he is bang out of order. However, I don't know you, the situation OR a Vox bass from Adam so how can I or anyone else wholeheartedly castigate this other guy and pat you on the back? I'm 90% certain that as this other guy is a newbie on here then he may well have dropped you in the shyte but I'm not about to start a witchhunt based upon your view of the situation.

However, had it been me I'd have done things differently. ;)

Dragan, I can empathise with your situation. I would likely feel very aggrieved. However, on the basis that these threads tend to go a bit wobbly, I'm pulling all mention of the other individual. If they want to share their side of the story, they're more than welcome. We have a feedback section for completed deals, and I know this one didn't complete, but if they want to tell us why - fine!

I'm just sharing some of Warwickhunt's concern at the moment.