Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

After playing for 25 years I have just been playing E# for the first time!

stingrayPete1977

As a fairly novice reader I have just been using my new found skill to read Chaka Khan Aint Nobody for our function band and as its in F# major the E is sharp, ten years ago I would of doubted its existence even though I had probably been playing them, This was the first time I have ever conciously played E# :) Doddy will be proud next time I see him :D

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1361131459' post='1981625']
I prefer to read in Gb when it comes to the loadsa accidentals key sigs- I find Cbs easier to read
[/quote]

Really? I kept reading it as C as it's on the line but tbh, I'm only getting started with the reading thing so that doesn't surprise me :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1361131460' post='1981626']
Oh, that Cb can be a right B******.
[/quote]

:lol:

Trumpets shouldn't be so bad surely? Just bend the note with less 'blow'? On a flute it's possible to bend a note by up to a quarter tone with mouth (embouchure) and breath support alone. Is trumpet the same? Mind you, Miles Davis seemed gloriously flat most of the time anyway, so who would know...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1361125017' post='1981440']
Still no idea where the double sharp (E##) comes in but I will look for the next 25 years ;)
[/quote]

Aint Nobody is in the relative minor of F#, which is D# minor.

Since you already have an F# and a D#. and according to some arcane rule of musical theory you're only allowed to use each letter once, you end up with E## rather than F .

If you want to call it F, you'll have to play it in Eb minor instead.

Given the above, you can understand the modern fashion which is to write everything in the 'home' key of C and label each and every accidental.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1361133116' post='1981674']
If you want to call it F, you'll have to play it in Eb minor instead.

Given the above, you can understand the modern fashion which is to write everything in the 'home' key of C and label each and every accidental.
[/quote]

No point in 'calling it F' it *isn't F - you can't just swap D# minor for Eb minor, they aint the same thing... :(

the 'C and label each and every accidental' is just a hopeless modern monstrosity - Beethoven wrote The Eroica in Eb maj because he knew the orchestra would play it with the 'feel' of Eb maj - it's an important thing to give a 'feel' and not leave the musicians in a modern 'do what you think is right' musically moral vacuum.

p.s. I've had a glass or two of falling down juice, I'm not usually this uptight about keys! :gas:

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1361133116' post='1981674']

Since you already have an F# and a D#. and according to some arcane rule of musical theory you're only allowed to use each letter once, you end up with E## rather than F .

[/quote]

Nope E## is F#. Typo?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1361142714' post='1981930']
Life can sometimes get a bit short to be pedantic. Arguing with a guitarist that the run is E F# G# A and not E F# Ab A is not always a productive use of practice time. Shrug play the notes and move on :D
[/quote]

I'm an uneducated player, but I find arguing about chords annoying and a complete waste of time, at least for covers, everyone should do thier homework before a run through, regardless if you can read or not. So unless you decide to change key during a session there should be no conversation in an ideal world.

Edited by lojo

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1361124650' post='1981428']
As a fairly novice reader I have just been using my new found skill to read Chaka Khan Aint Nobody for our function band and as its in F# major the E is sharp, ten years ago I would of doubted its existence even though I had probably been playing them, This was the first time I have ever conciously played E# :) Doddy will be proud next time I see him :D
[/quote]

E sharp! PAH! You'l be teling us you saw Elvis working in a fish n chip shop next then ?

Edited by daz