Why become a member? ×

The older I get, the harder it is to listen to new bands.....

The Admiral

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1360528975' post='1971919']
But also if you're honest with yourself there will be a lot of music from your youth that really hasn't withstood the test of time, and new bands producing music that is similar but better.
[/quote]

Almost certainly. It just doesn't "speak to me" in the same way.

As I get older I find that I strive for a little more intelligence in music. Pop/rock very rarely delivers for me anymore. I dont think it's a 'getting old' thing, but rather, a maturity thing. I dont listen to bands that I used to listen to and soon get bored of new stuff that fits within the band formula. Classical music gets more and more appealing to me, along with modern more technical players who are pushing the boundaries of their own musicality. If it has anything to do with current 'trends' I just aint interested.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1360529631' post='1971942']
... Classical music gets more and more appealing to me .... If it has anything to do with current 'trends' I just aint interested.
[/quote]
But surely that appealing classical music had something to do with a current trend sometime in the past?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1360529758' post='1971948']
As I get older I want at least some of my music to be dumber.
I'm no longer bothered about showing off how intellectual my musical tastes are any more.
[/quote]

Me neither. I'm more of a punk now than I was in 1976. Musically, that is.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1360520267' post='1971672']
Crap mastering as well. New stuff just doesn't hit me (sic) like it did before the loudness war. It just makes everything... blander.
[/quote]

This is true.
Dynamics don't exist in today's recordings, everything's compressed to hell and back.

Edited by heminder

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1360529631' post='1971942']
Classical music gets more and more appealing to me...
[/quote]

I went through a period of being heavily into classical when my son was born. When he was old enough to hold a conversation, he said 'Dad, why do you listen to this sad music?' Which I thought was a very good question.

As we get older we get more discriminating, all the time falling a bit more out ogf the pop culture loop. So it;'s natural.

Then again, some eras of music are simply better than others. Look at the Billboard top 100 hits of 1969 and compare them to the top 100 hits of 1955 or 2005. It's pitiful.

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1360514850' post='1971527']
5 years ago I wouldn't have agreed with you, but recently I'm finding almost all new music doesn't grab me. It's mostly all been done before, and the stuff that hasn't been done before wasn't done for a good reason.

Probably not a good state of mind for a musician, maybe it's normal after 30+ years of listening and studying songs.
[/quote]

'Almost all new music'?!

Right don't take this as a dig at anyone here because it really isn't but I went on a rant about music this weekend at a person saying pretty much the same thing as the OP, below is basically what I said to him, in a balanced laid back way, this is my opinion only & like all opinions it's how it come out of my head, not a well balanced perfectly researched argument.

The issue I have with this is that we hear older guys harp on about how the older bands (Like Zeppy-Beatles-Queen-Deep purple etc) are so much better & the style of music is far more superior but then get annoyed at new or younger bands pay homage to these very same bands.
I hear older guys say that new music is crap & they don't like it but them moan when young kids play music from the very same generation that is supposedly better......
I mean is there anything that younger bands/kids can do that is ok by the old gits nowadays ?

I personally love it when you get bands like Wolfmother who unashamedly show their love for Deep Purple & Led Zepplin, let them be true to who they are & bring this music to younger audiences, they are not hurting anyone, they are playing music that they love (Which just happens to be the music that older guys love too) If for instance some 12 year old kid listens to these newer bands & then checks out these bands influences, you are going to get kids being influenced by older bands who broke the mould in a fantastic way, is this a bad thing ? I don't really think that it is. I think to a point it's the "I was there maaaan" attitude that the oldies hold so dear.

Lets face it, through the saturated world of modern music, it's almost impossible to do something different, all you can hope for is something good & taking influences from the 60& 70's is no bad thing in my book.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1360574727' post='1972367']
Lets not forget that a large part of led zeppelin's output was shamelessly "borrowed" from elsewhere in the first place!
[/quote]
'Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different.' (T.S. Eliot)

I'm actually working the other way around.
WhenI was 15 through to 18I only listened to a very select few types of music, and derided all else as crap.
Thus I missed out on a few great Manchester bands.
As I get older, I have relaxed that childish elitism and now listen to a lot more music of all types that I wouldn't have before.
Music repeats, that's a given, all art does.
Doesn't matter.
If you like you like, if you don't, you don't.
I'm astonished at the amount of Cure like vocalists and Smiths like guitarists I keep hearing lately, but that's ok, because I like those tones too.

I also think Queens of the Stone Age are possibly my favourite band of all time, yet couldn't listen to a Black Sabbath CD without getting bored.
So like the Blackkeys, they are re inventing a genre in a fresh and exciting way, and to me, that's what it's all about.
No point moaning about music, there's simply so much out there there has to be loads that you'll love.
Just need to put the effort into finding it.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1360530448' post='1971958']
Me neither. I'm more of a punk now than I was in 1976. Musically, that is.
[/quote]Sorry about this but. . . The sex pistols are so boring :)
I can obviously see how at the time it was new and refreshing but it certainly doesnt hold that freshness for very long.
I do like bands like bad brains as they mixed it up a bit. There's nothing worse than a band who's 'guitarists' can only play a few power chords. Very limited. Yes of course ALL music is affected by fashions but some of it will stay with us forever. Most pop rock will most definately not be. It isn't about intellectuality (word?) at all. Come on, Albeniz, Bach and Mozart can't be lumped in with the rest of any old 'music' ;)
I've listened to all forms of rock music throughout my life and there isn't a band in the world that doesnt become dated and boring after a while. For me anyway. Rock is so young in terms of music history. As is all modern media, tv, radio etc and will soon be forgotten as each new 'fad' comes along.. Instrumentalists will always be here, Bands who write hits with the bare minimum of skills will not.
Sorry if I seem to be a bit of a fascist. But I am :)

you know basschat twenty years ago, there were folk saying the same thing. Everything is derivative of something- but that's not the end of the world.

I also find it odd the amount of people who were into all these cool genre defining bands back in the day - when record sales suggest that the 60's and 70's were full of middle of the road crap as much as any other period.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1360576258' post='1972406']
There's nothing worse than a band who's 'guitarists' can only play a few power chords. Very limited.
[/quote] wasn't that part of point of punk? [quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1360576258' post='1972406']

Sorry if I seem to be a bit of a fascist. But I am :)
[/quote] one for a t shirt there..... :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1360570789' post='1972310']
'Almost all new music'?!
[/quote]

Ok, maybe not all new music. :D I don't seem to be digging around so much finding new acts that inspire me, so it's the music that I do get to hear on the radio and TV. That's probably a big part of the problem I'm having, I need to start looking harder for good music.

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1360572824' post='1972337']

The issue I have with this is that we hear older guys harp on about how the older bands (Like Zeppy-Beatles-Queen-Deep purple etc) are so much better & the style of music is far more superior but then get annoyed at new or younger bands pay homage to these very same bands.
I hear older guys say that new music is crap & they don't like it but them moan when young kids play music from the very same generation that is supposedly better......
I mean is there anything that younger bands/kids can do that is ok by the old gits nowadays ?

[/quote]

I'm not arguing the fact that I come across as a miserable old git :lol: I'm a bit disgusted with myself for it and it's a fairly recent development for me too.

I'm also not saying that newer bands doing the same style of music as the stuff I listened to years ago are any worse, just that I've heard it before and doesn't give me that buzz / chills down the spine sensation of hearing something unexpected.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1360576473' post='1972413']
wasn't that part of point of punk? one for a t shirt there..... :)
[/quote]Good idea. A new one every day, just like modern pop. Rip it up and start again on a daily basis.
Yea, you are definately right. Punk was indeed about less is more and I totally get it. But actaully, bands like the pistols didnt even need any music. Just a snotty angry young Lydon shouting f*** off at a postage stamp would have had the same effect. For me music is about music, not making youths angry. There's a place for that of course but not in the adult mind as far as I'm concerned. There's no point worrying about not connecting with new music when you reach a certain age. you cant and you shouldn't. There are folk who like to feel young all their lives and embrace new stuff and that's fine too. But for me it's not about that. It's actually ok to move on from the music of your youth,see it for what it was and move on to better things as you grow up. You dont have to stay on the cutting edge your whole life and if you do I think you will only miss out on a more rewarding musical life.