Why become a member? ×

Had a Stingray... suggestions for new bass?

Daniel C-J

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1360442656' post='1970619']

Do you mean to say it can sound like a StingRay, or that it will fulfil the Ray's functionality? Or?

That, and did you really have to say that just two (2) days after I received my expensive Ray 5 fretless? :)

best,
bert
[/quote]

Well...
Close enough.
Yes, and more.
The last time I used it live, I used the headliner's rig (thanks!) He had a 'Ray 5 and had a tone-envy-related sulk.
Sorry.
And.. It still has frets in it, so you're safe. For now...

I'm not overly fond of fretless bass guitar. Next stop? EUB.

[quote name='Daniel C-J' timestamp='1360327590' post='1968643']
....I've always been set on the stingray as I loved the tone for slap and funk ect (infact this time round i'm gonna try and find a 2eq one for growlier sound) and just felt SO right under my fingers, but are there any other basses I should consider looking at before I go for a stingray? Was considering a Jazz bass (have played them quite a bit) but my heart keeps taking me back to the stingray!....
[/quote]

Sorry for your loss.

I moved from Stingray to Lakland. I've never looked back, but if you loved the SR that much get another.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1360601493' post='1973127']
Yes.
Or a Bongo.
Excellent instruments. Well, all the ones I've played were. BIG, BIG sound and plenty of tonal options in both HH and HS models
[/quote]

Indeed they are excellent - but sound not like a Stingray at all. If the OP is sold on the Stingray sound/feel/look, then a Stingray's what's needed.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1360606280' post='1973257']
Indeed they are excellent - but sound not like a Stingray at all.
[/quote]

Some people on the MM forum wrote that the single H Bongo is like a bigger, fatter, rounder single H StingRay, and still in StingRay territory. Would you agree with such a description?

BTW, pics of the Women, Dr T, or it didn't happen. ;)

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1360609600' post='1973355']
Some people on the MM forum wrote that the single H Bongo is like a bigger, fatter, rounder single H StingRay, and still in StingRay territory. Would you agree with such a description?
[/quote]

Bert I've never seen a single H Bongo let alone heard one. However the HH Bongo sounds nothing like my HH Ray - it has that Musicman DNA in the sound but to my ears has more of a P bass timbre to it - a very fat sounding one.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1360609600' post='1973355']

BTW, pics of the Women, Dr T, or it didn't happen. ;)

best,
bert
[/quote]

Lol :D I'm frightened to take the bloody Bongo out after that escapade!!

Nothing worse than having you loved bass robbed. :(
Because of what you said i dont think it matters what you get you will always compare it too
and want that ray sound feel, and you will just end up getting another anyway.
But as Ben jamin says Try the G&L L2000 (i pref the thinner necked one !) it is a fantastic bass.
Also try the Sabre, its the stingray and more..
The pluss for me with the sabre which not many people have thought about is you can add another pickup in the neck position say a nordstrand or a rewound wizard for a more personal tone while still keeping that ray sound in the bridge. Best of both worlds

Edited by funkgod