Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Tone Hammer - anyone use one?

Lozz196

As above really

Currently use a Precision into a Markbass CMD121P combo/NY121 ext cab. Great sound, but looking to add a bit of warmth/grit, like a valve=amp just breaking up (no horrid fuzzy distortion) plus have the ability to use the (whatever I end up with) as a DI.

Have checked out overdrive pedals, and didn`t like any. Have Had Sansamp BDI, MXR M80, and Behringer BDI21, but they all colour the sound too much, whereas what I`ve seen and heard on -line suggests the TH doesn`t do this.

But of course, would value some opinions.

The only other DI I`ve seen that looks like it doesn`t colour the sound is the DHA VT1-EQ/DI.

I use a Tonehammer on every gig. I tend to use passive Fenders and use the TH as a pre leaving the EQ flat unless I'm wanting more of particular frequencies. Even set flat the TH makes the natural character of the bass stand out; P's sound more P-like, J's more J-like.
The AGS function when heard on its own is OK, but playing live with a band it sounds like proper tube saturation. You have to get the balance right with the Gain control otherwise you do get a distinct boost.

it gets a thumbs up from me!

Edited by NoirBass

I just purchased a Tone Hammer today.

I play a passive Jazz standard and I needed to boost the lows when slapping without that scooped sound of an active bass and still retain the warmth. The Tone Hammer is perfect for what I was looking for, thought I have only tried the Sadowsky. Although I haven't played with all the setting it does one thing right, and that is all i need, then its perfect.

I recommend you try it and agree with what NoirBass said in regards to letting the bass retain its inherent tone/character but just hiked up a little.

• 2 weeks later...

The Tone Hammer has a permanent place on my pedal board; you're right it doesnt colour the sound anywhere near as much as a Sansamp, you can get some really nice grit from it and it's nice having mid-sweep eq controls. I find it sounds particularly good when used with the Sansamp BDI, I blend the two overdrives in together and it sounds way better than either of them on their own to my ears.

I use one for DI and thought it would be ok as s distortion pedal..when it was suggested I use one..FFS..!!

It is an overdrive pedal at best and drives quite well. You have to want to get that sound to fully appreciate it..and I don't really want it anyway..but I thought it was nice bit of kit..well thought out and put together.
The demos on the AG site show what it can do..

It should tighten up a flabby jazz sound, for sure