Why become a member? ×

So what's a high c string good for anyway?

nobodysprefect

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1359586973' post='1957295']
it saves flying up and down the neck = economy of movement [/quote]
[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1359594039' post='1957413']
It's easier to play the runs across the neck rather than whizzing up and down it like someone's found my Fast Forward button... :)
[/quote]

That's about the only exercise I get these days, so I'm happy to stick with four strings :)

I'll probably get shot down for this, but I'll say it anyway:

There are more players out there who misuse a high C to draw attention to themselves than there are players who use it sensibly and to serve the song.

That's certainly been my experience at least. But I'm a neanderthal. Only 4 strings, and preferably not even any frets.

[quote name='nobody's prefect' timestamp='1359634337' post='1957887']To answer my own question, I don't think I've ever heard a chord played on a, d and g strings sound the same as one using d,g and c. There's a different sonic quality and if you want that nylon string-ish tone, you'll need thinner gauge. Also, where in the scale you play has famously a huge impact on the tone - who of us is free of the carnal sin of playing something up the neck on E or A string? It's got [i]that tone[/i] in a good way.[/quote]

Yeah I'd agree with all that. Variety of tone from the low B to the C gives you options and it's nice to have options. It's also a big responsibility on the player though, to EQ the bass properly so all the strings sound good. I've heard a lot of people who have failed at that.

All in all though I went back to 4s because they're lighter and I can relax a bit more. Also doubling on double bass I'd rather not have strings on one instrument that I haven't got on the other.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1359650887' post='1958267']
I'll probably get shot down for this, but I'll say it anyway:

There are more players out there who misuse a high C to draw attention to themselves than there are players who use it sensibly and to serve the song.

That's certainly been my experience at least. But I'm a neanderthal. Only 4 strings, and preferably not even any frets.
[/quote]

I can see where you're coming from - I do get sceptical when I see a bassist taking a six string onstage, due to memories of all the metalheads I started out gigging with who'd play them either to make themselves look more impressive or so that they could live up to their history as failed guitarists by playing the next closest thing. I know I shouldn't tar other people with the same brush - there are plenty of players out there who do a grand job with them - but it's gut instinct by this point sadly. If they use it sensibly I'll watch them play all night.

A high C is the perfect revenge for a guitarist with a baritone.

That said, and although I found my transition to 5 strings practically painless (to my surprise), I can't help thinking that all of my bass heroes only needed 4 strings to change the landscape forever...

6-string I still handle with care. I don't know what to do with that range and ridicul

[quote name='nobody's prefect' timestamp='1359590937' post='1957374']
Chaka Khan is pretentious metal these days? Andrew Gouche is one of the hardest grooving cats you'll [i]ever [/i]hear and he mostly plays an MTD 635...
[/quote]

He and Anthony Jackson are slight rarities nowadays though mostly because it has become far, far more popular to play 4 strings again, mostly because of Pino I reckon.

I have nothing against good 6 string players but I'm convinced that most people will roll their eyes at the sight of one still.

[quote name='the_skezz' timestamp='1359670103' post='1958706']
I can see where you're coming from - I do get sceptical when I see a bassist taking a six string onstage, due to memories of all the metalheads I started out gigging with who'd play them either to make themselves look more impressive or so that they could live up to their history as failed guitarists by playing the next closest thing. I know I shouldn't tar other people with the same brush - there are plenty of players out there who do a grand job with them - but it's gut instinct by this point sadly. If they use it sensibly I'll watch them play all night.
[/quote]
Yep, I try to keep an open-mind myself, and listen to what is being played before forming any judgement about the appropriate-ness of the instrument. But I can understand why a lot of people have closed their minds, and see 6 strings (or even 5) as beyond the pale. I don't agree with them, but I can understand them.

'So and so only played a four' Well. A lot of our heroes started out when many guitarists didn't sport much low end in their tone: thus, the eb of a bass in stanrdard tuning worked, as there was all the sonic space you could hope for. Another thing is the audience expectations: most audiences will expect fairly strong low end from the band these days, and I prefer to be it. A lot of our heroes wrote their own music, thus, they could use keys and lines that either worked with standard tuning or detune. Don't like that much, but I admit that's me being lazy. I [i]like [/i]having the same notes at the same spatial location all the time. Helps me stop thinking and start feeling. Also, why I swing so much better on the upright.

Still, it's pretty much up to the player to choose... and remember, [i]it don't mean a thing/if it ain't got that swing![/i]

Edited by nobody's prefect

I took the plunge 11yrs ago and bought a Status Energy 6 and had lots of fun playing it. But, I didn't really use the C string in a practical situation that much. Plus, my guitar player got the hump every time I played on the C anywhere beyond the 10th fret! I still had a couple of 5'ers that had more stage time than the Status, so I reluctantly sold it. I haven't owned a 6 string bass ever since or felt the need to extend my higher octave range.

• 7 months later...

[quote name='grahamd' timestamp='1359621471' post='1957553']
Thundercat!

Nice scoring yes, evocative
[/quote]

+1

Have a look at:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBpwKNbcuMA[/media]

Interesting line up in this live performance - unless I am mistaken, there are 2 basses and no guitars. Thundercat plays the 'guitar part' on his 6er, and the other dude plays the 'bass line' on a 5er. Sounds fantastic.

Edited by GrammeFriday

I experimented for a short while with one of my 5-strings tuned E-C. Really couldn't get on with either the tone or the feel of the high C. The string felt stiff and sounded thin (and I tried several different makes of string). The same note 5 frets up on the G string always sounded better to me as it had more weight to the tone.

Nothing I've heard on the clips posted here using high C make me think it was the short-comings of either me as a player or the bass I was using. Personally I think most of the parts would sound far superior if they were played on a guitar instead.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1379798421' post='2216953']
I experimented for a short while with one of my 5-strings tuned E-C. Really couldn't get on with either the tone or the feel of the high C. The string felt stiff and sounded thin (and I tried several different makes of string). The same note 5 frets up on the G string always sounded better to me as it had more weight to the tone.

Nothing I've heard on the clips posted here using high C make me think it was the short-comings of either me as a player or the bass I was using. Personally I think most of the parts would sound far superior if they were played on a guitar instead.
[/quote]

This is exactly how I felt, I'd always prefer the sound of the note played on the G. And the extra neck width and muting the extra string never became comfortable either.

I've got a stunning well balanced 6 stringer that I've tried to like, fast slim neck, perfect string spacing for me and loads of useful sounds. I played it exclusively for several months so that I'd feel at home on it, but the moment I picked up a 5er again it felt so much better. I dig it out and play it from time to time but it's just not for me.

Just re-strung my Warwick Streamer LX6 with a set of (the old-style, nickel) Elixirs.
I made up a set based around their hybrid medium 4-string set, and ended up with;

0.032 C
0.045 G
0.065 D
0.080 A
0.100 E
0.130 Taperwound B

You'd think that'd feel out-of-balance, but it certainly doesn't.
Skinny C? It's thicker than some people's G - assuming they're playing 30,50,70,90!
Sounds great. Feels great. And spaced at about 16.5mm, not too much of a stretch. For the old plucking hand. Shane it's so heavy!