Why become a member? ×

Potential new bass...

Ramirez

[url]http://www.rowlandsmusic.com/store/Bass-Guitars/Fender/American-Special/Fender-FSR-American-Special-Precision-Bass-Maple-Neck-Hand-Stained-Honey-Burst-Bass-Guitar/prod_1637.html[/url]

Isn't it lovely? It's just the standard American Special in a limited edition finish.

Would need pickup and bridge covers of course, and I'm undecided between black/anodised gold/red scratchplate or keep the white. Whaddyathink?

Could possibly be mine. We'll see.

Aled

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1359221571' post='1951856']
Think gold would make it look a lot more vintagey.
[/quote]

Yes, I think so too. Trouble is those plates are quite expensive things to just try out! Could be amazing...

One of my favourite looks for a P is natural ash/maple board and black guard, and I'm thinking the same could work on this combo.

On the other hand I can't get the red out of my mind either.

Maybe I should concentrate on getting the damn thing first!

I haven't tried one, I just like the look!

I think the nut width is the same as an US Standard, but shallower front to back.

I hope it's not too J like as that's the main reason I want a P - I much prefer the necks, even on the cheapest copies.

I see some Ps have a 1.75" nut - is this standard these days, or just on a few reissues (I know I tried the Mex 50s P which had a 1.75 nut and it felt huge - I liked it, but if the slightly smaller nuts are the standard on most P style ones then I'd be happy with that too)

Will be ordered tomorrow hopefully, alongsied a set of LaBella 760M - the 'Jamerson' super heavy gauge set - I'm I justified in my confidence that they will be fine seeing as the bass has one of those graphite truss rods? I'm no good at tweaking truss rods.

It's awesome. Absolutely fantastic. I'm even liking the stock rounds (having played the same set of flats for 3 years!)
The Zoom B3 that arrived this morning seems to be the best use of £150 ever as well.
Stock (sorry about the large photos!):

New scratchplate: