Why become a member? ×

LED side Fret Markers for dark stages .....??

Mark_ii

After my last gig, this could be a good idea, more so on the side fret markers. I had some foot lighting that was hell bent on burning my retinas out, which meant neither me or the guitarist could really see what were doing! I though I'd take a break and turn around and have a jam with the drummer, and the back truss lighting then came on a blinded me again!!! All part of the fun I suppose!!

I can only remember one time when I felt a bit lost on the neck due to a dark stage. I was playing a fretless that I'd de-fretted myself and I was the first guy in on the intro. It wasn't so much that I couldn't see the dots, I sort-of could, but they were in the wrong place anyway. It would've been handy to have been able to see the fret lines but I used rosewood veneers on a rosewood board and they were nearly invisible in daylight.

But yeah, that one gig in 1995 aside, I can't remember another time I would've benefitted from LED markers. And even then if the dots were in the right places I would've been confident.

+1 for fretfx. Fitted them to my wife's bravewood bass. Clay dots don't show up so well, so I ordered blue fretfx. easy to fit and haven't changed the battery after about 30 gigs. One led died (5th fret) so I emailed them and sent the whole thing back and have just received a replacement and it's now fitted. A good inexpensive solution.

I have had those FretFX thingies on my bass since about 2006/2007 and they have been a great asset when playing dark stages. Mine is the earlier version that has AAA batteries and has two brightness levels. They fit fine and although it makes the neck slightly wider if you use your thumb over the neck, I got used to it and I have recommended them to a few bass players. No idea if they went ahead with the purchase though.

Recently I had to solder one of the connections as it came apart just where the join is by the side of the nut, other than that it still has the original batteries.

When I was touring as a guitarist I used this kind of thing, glow dots and they worked perfectly.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WO-UK-100PCS-Home-Wall-Glow-In-The-Dark-Stars-Stickers-Decal-Kids-Nursery-Room-/181462655032?pt=UK_Children_s_Decor&hash=item2a40046038

Jazzyvee

I've got side (and front) LEDs on my Status S1 fretted and I've got Luminlay markers on the Sei fretless. I find the side LEDs are useful even at reasonable light levels as it takes just a quick glance down to see where the frets are. The Luminlays are good when I remember my LED UV torch. If I'd had the LEDs fitted myself, I don't think I'd have gone for the front LEDs, but they are a fun posey thing...

Edited by tauzero

[quote name='Mark_ii' timestamp='1359155164' post='1951042']
....I have found dark stages can be a problem on the odd occasion and these LED's seem to offer a solution for the bassist or guitarist....
[/quote]

Dark stages are a problem. If you can't see your frets then you have a bigger problem, the audience can't see you.

Your band should carry lights. You don't need a full lighting rig. A small 4 bulb box either side of the stage area will solve 99% of your problems.

Back in 1976 I got a fretless gig playing in virtual darkness for six weeks. I wish these gizmos had been available then. I actually filed marks into the side of the binding. Ruined the resale but I still have it. Never was a nice sounding bass, ended up sounding and looking bad!

I think that installing leds on an utility road bass or buying a bass with factory installed leds for live shows purpose is something normal and could help a lot.
But ruining a high end bass' sales/collecting value with aftermatket leds is not what I call a happy idea.
Best

Edited by TheSiberian