Why become a member? ×

Pedalboard Newbie, easy question, with pics...

Rick's Fine '52

OK, here's i think, an easy one to answer, and i think I'm having a blonde moment with this!!

Having used little or no effects forever (Never needed them), I've decided, now i have more time to play at home, to get a pedalboard, and start seeing what stuff does.

Here's a pic of what i've just bought, boss pedalboard and 5 old 80's pedals, what they are is irrelevant.

Here's the question.

The power link chains send the power in and out, i get that. But the last pedal on the board (in this case missing, but you get the idea), has a cable in, and a cable out. Where do i plug the cable out?

If the tuner is in the board, where it fits, top right, then i guess it would go in there, but then the tuner would need an out loop wouldn't it, but to where??

I've taken the other cables out of the way for clarity of picture.

This sounds obvious, but I'm missing something bleeding obvious here?? :unsure: It's just the power link i have the problem with, the guitar/board/amp bits i'm ok with.....i think! :D

Can anyone put me out of my misery.......PLEASE?

Thanks in advance, for any help at all.

Rick

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

Do you mean the extra plug on your daisy-chain cable? You should be able to leave that unconnected - I would just roll it up and tape it down to the board. The plugs on a daisy-chain cable are in parallel with one another rather than in series, so having one fewer device to power won't cause any problems. It's not like removing one bulb from a string of fairy lights.

Do you mean your power supply has one cable coming out that fits each pedal? Like a dasiy chain? If thats the case, I'd just gaffa tape the spare ends up and tidy it up. Dont think they need to go anywhere really. Just gaffa them up and they'll be fine. Make sure they dont touch other metal things whilst there out like that!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1359149093' post='1950909']
Do you mean the extra plug on your daisy-chain cable? You should be able to leave that unconnected - I would just roll it up and tape it down to the board. The plugs on a daisy-chain cable are in parallel with one another rather than in series, so having one fewer device to power won't cause any problems. It's not like removing one bulb from a string of fairy lights.
[/quote]

Thats great, I'll just leave it unplugged then. Thank you.

If i add a tuner, and use the last plug for that, presumably i don't need to take power out of the tuner then, to complete a loop? The tuner will just act as the last powered piece?

I'm getting there, tahnks.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1359149297' post='1950912']
Do you mean your power supply has one cable coming out that fits each pedal? Like a dasiy chain? If thats the case, I'd just gaffa tape the spare ends up and tidy it up. Dont think they need to go anywhere really. Just gaffa them up and they'll be fine. Make sure they dont touch other metal things whilst there out like that!
[/quote]

Yes, as the picture.

Thanks for the time to reply, taping them up until i get a tuner in there will do the job then. Nice one, appreciate the info. I thought they had to be looped.

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1359149446' post='1950915']
tape them up if you dont need them, simple as.

edit: ohhh vintage boss bass pedals...
[/quote]

Many thanks, appreciate the info, I should have worked it out. Something didnt ring true, i thought it should return somewhere to complete the loop, but it would appear the wiring is parallel not series, which makes sense.

They look nice together the Boss Bass stuff, trying to work out what to use as the 6th (They only made 5 in this series). A Super Octave might fit in, similar colour, albeit a bit bronzier than the brown of these ones.

Thanks again for the time replying, Rick.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1359150400' post='1950947']
An OC-2 would be a great choice for the empty spot IMO, visually and sonically. OK, it's not the Bass series, but it's 80s Boss and a bit of a classic. I must pick another one myself some time!
[/quote]

The OC-2 is a better visual match for sure, but can it be used with a bass? I assumed not which is why they did the OC-3??

The OC-2 works nicely with bass, but as it's monophonic, it needs clean playing to track well. It's quite limited, but cops the slightly synthy sounding Tony Levin/Pino Palladino thing perfectly, as I think that's what they both used. I haven't used the OC-3 - it looks more versatile but the OC-2 is the archetype.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1359151237' post='1950980']
The OC-2 works nicely with bass, but as it's monophonic, it needs clean playing to track well. It's quite limited, but cops the slightly synthy sounding Tony Levin/Pino Palladino thing perfectly, as I think that's what they both used. I haven't used the OC-3 - it looks more versatile but the OC-2 is the archetype.
[/quote]

Thanks. I quite like the traditional, vintage thang, so i may have to do some more research on these two.

Appreciate the info.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1359150796' post='1950962']
The OC-2 is a better visual match for sure, but can it be used with a bass? I assumed not which is why they did the OC-3??
[/quote]

The OC2 is [i]the[/i] baddest pedal on bass.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1359154416' post='1951037']
Really?, please tell more? ;)
[/quote]
It's more 'synthy' than some other octave pedals (like the EBS) but it's just a great sound,especially
with the direct signal turned all the way down. It's got a few glitches,but you can work with them.
If I only take one effect to a gig,it's the OC2.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1359155214' post='1951045']
It's more 'synthy' than some other octave pedals (like the EBS) but it's just a great sound,especially
with the direct signal turned all the way down. It's got a few glitches,but you can work with them.
If I only take one effect to a gig,it's the OC2.
[/quote]

Useful info, thanks Doddy, I think I'm gonna youtube the oc2 and oc3, and see what's what.

Thanks.

Another +1 for the OC-2, Rick. The OC-3 can't hold a candle to the OC-2 even though it claims to have the original OC-2 mode .I had an OC-2 years ago and was looking for a new octaver so I A/B'd the OC-3 nad the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe (couldn't find an OC-2 and the MXR was getting rave reviews) and the difference was night and day. Tracking issues asside, the OC-2 is so much warmer and way more organic than it's newer counterpart. OC-2 all the way but if you're having trouble locating one then the MXR does a pretty good job too. Have also heard good things about the Aguilar Octamizer if it's specifically an octave pedal you're looking for, but have never used one.

Edited by johnDeereJack

[quote name='johnDeereJack' timestamp='1359199368' post='1951396']
Another +1 for the OC-2, Rick. The OC-3 can't hold a candle to the OC-2 even though it claims to have the original OC-2 mode .I had an OC-2 years ago and was looking for a new octaver so I A/B'd the OC-3 nad the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe (couldn't find an OC-2 and the MXR was getting rave reviews) and the difference was night and day. Tracking issues asside, the OC-2 is so much warmer and way more organic than it's newer counterpart. OC-2 all the way but if you're having trouble locating one then the MXR does a pretty good job too. Have also heard good things about the Aguilar Octamizer if it's specifically an octave pedal you're looking for, but have never used one.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, and recommendation. Looks like the OC2 is in pole at the minute.

I'm going to have to stick with Boss, I'm afraid my OCD couldn't cope with something different in that board!!! :unsure: It even has to be brown, so the Octave gets it, i think sound wise we've covered enough bases there too, so all good.

Now on the hunt, there's a few about, although not cheap, we'll see......

It depends on what you're going to use an octaver for. I've only used an OC2 once & thought it was a great pedal. I bought an OC3 & also think it's a great pedal. The tracking is better than the OC2, but it's not quite as warm sounding. Not an issue for me as I put it through a couple of other pedals that soon completely change the sound to how I want it to.

If you get an octaver, I'd have a shoogle around with your pedals & see what order is gonna give you the best use.
I like the OC at the start so I can affect the sound that it makes. If it was at the end & used on -1 oct only, then I think there's little point having the other effects on at the same time. But play about, getting your layout is 1/2 the fun of having a board. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1359295243' post='1952570']
If you get an octaver, I'd have a shoogle around with your pedals & see what order is gonna give you the best use.
I like the OC at the start so I can affect the sound that it makes. If it was at the end & used on -1 oct only, then I think there's little point having the other effects on at the same time. But play about, getting your layout is 1/2 the fun of having a board. :)
[/quote]

This makes sense, its all new to me (I'm used to max 2 effects, normally none to be honest), so there'll be lots of shuffling around, and playing going on.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Rick