Why become a member? ×

1977`SHERGOLD MODULATOR 2 BASS( WITHDRAWN TO EBAY)

axl33

Hello all.For sale is a SHERGOLD MODULATOR 2 BASS.Bass plays & sounds great.Maple fretboard,2 Humbuckers,special SHERGOLD Bridge design. The bass itself is very good for a bass that is over 30 years old. Please send PM for price.Thank you all bass players & collectors. `BASS HAS BEEN MOVED TO EBAY`

Edited by axl33

Jon,

Indeed, but sadly they've ended up being worth Jack sh1t.....!

My guitarist was `GASing for one real bad..... (a 6 string) ended up bying an original with history in mintish knick for £275..... :)

it was a pig to set up for him but does sound quite nice...!

Yes very sorry everybody about price but i wanted to see what kind of offers i am going to get.This is my first post so please have some patience. Does anybody know how much its worth. It is in good working order.Sounds & plays great eveything working & original no problems at all. The paint is cracking on the body & it has belt rash. The neck is perfect & straight as,frets are good too. Original Schaller tuners working perfectly.Bridge is Shergold special with perspex.Its made in 77 . Give me some offers cause i really dont know how nuch they are worth but i know its over 30 years old & working fine. You can gig with this bass the way it is theres nothing wrong. Neck p/u has 1 screw missing & phasing in/out selector casing has little crack in it but none of these things effect the sound or feel of the bass. The electronics are all working good eveything original. So make some offers people cause i may post it on Ebay if nothing happens here, i am in Australia but should not have problems shipping it . Thank you Bass players & collectors.

[quote name='axl33' post='202577' date='May 20 2008, 03:39 AM']Yes very sorry everybody about price but i wanted to see what kind of offers i am going to get.This is my first post so please have some patience. Does anybody know how much its worth. It is in good working order.Sounds & plays great eveything working & original no problems at all. The paint is cracking on the body & it has belt rash. The neck is perfect & straight as,frets are good too. Original Schaller tuners working perfectly.Bridge is Shergold special with perspex.Its made in 77 . Give me some offers cause i really dont know how nuch they are worth but i know its over 30 years old & working fine. You can gig with this bass the way it is theres nothing wrong. Neck p/u has 1 screw missing & phasing in/out selector casing has little crack in it but none of these things effect the sound or feel of the bass. The electronics are all working good eveything original. So make some offers people cause i may post it on Ebay if nothing happens here, i am in Australia but should not have problems shipping it . Thank you Bass players & collectors.[/quote]
I think you should edit this into your first post. And make it doubly clear that you're in Aus.

gl with the sale.

[quote name='paul, the' post='202578' date='May 20 2008, 03:56 AM']I think you should edit this into your first post. And make it doubly clear that you're in Aus.

gl with the sale.[/quote]
+1

Having said that, it's a good example of a quirky British bass from the 70s and as such, it's good to see! I would have thought it's worth between £250 and £350 on a UK Ebay auction but the shipping costs are probably going to be prohibitive for anyone here who's based in the UK.

Pretty much all Shergolds will have the infamous cracked finish look by now, it comes with the territory. The neck is probably the best part of any Shergold bass, it would have to have taken some serious abuse and/or neglect for this to be warped or misaligned.

The [url="http://www.shergold.co.uk/models.html#modulator"]Modulator[/url] is not one that I'm familiar with in any massive detail, but the idea was that the [url="http://www.shergold.co.uk/modules.html"]electronic modules[/url] could be changed according to function. A neat idea in principle but how useful it is in reality is debateable.

The twin pup arrangement should be very flexible tonally especially with the switching available on the module. Andy at Wizard rewound my Marathon pup with no problems for anyone wanting some extra ooomph from them. I'd reckon that a sale value of around £250 to maybe £300 is at the top end of expectations unfortunately. A pristine example might go for getting on for £400. The general condition isn't too bad, but my Marathon of a similar age has weathered a lot better.

The Aussie angle will pretty much exclude interest from this hemisphere though, which is a real shame. With a little tlc on the appearance side and a little bit of overhauling, there is a potentially stunning bass there, unique in looks and sound.

Thanks everybody for your help & direction. I am going to put it on Ebay by next week it should be up & running if anybody wants to check it out.I will put it under Shergold Modulator 2 so if you like get it there. I will withdraw the Shergold from Basschat in a day or so incase somebody does want it. The bass plays & sounds great, i jammed on it all morning to see if it has balls & it does. Thanks again for the help.

[quote name='axl33' post='202892' date='May 20 2008, 02:42 PM']Thanks everybody for your help & direction. I am going to put it on Ebay by next week it should be up & running if anybody wants to check it out.I will put it under Shergold Modulator 2 so if you like get it there. I will withdraw the Shergold from Basschat in a day or so incase somebody does want it. The bass plays & sounds great, i jammed on it all morning to see if it has balls & it does. Thanks again for the help.[/quote]

A bit more help. I have a similar one, and I think the bridge you have is mostly original ,but not entirely - the piece of metal on the top looks to be added aftewards. This is simply a Shergold Modulator Bass - the No2 refers only to the module which is interchangeable - Its a more powerful bass but its a bit neck heavy as the top horn doesnt quite reach far enough - depends on the neck weight. Shergoldsnickers is right about the finish and the flexibility. With the odd bridge I guess £250 to £350 on Ebay if the shipping costs dont put people off. Theres a lot more on Andrew Mannerings excellent website www.shergold.com.

Welcome to Basschat , hope this helps and good luck with the sale !
Colin

Yeah thanks heaps brother. I didnt expect some of the attitude i got about the shipping from downunder i dont think its going to be an arm & legs worth.Its saturday now so i will get shipping & insurance info on Monday 100%. If there is Shergold Modulator collectors i would get it if i was them the bass sounds awesome plays just great & action could be a just a tad better but its very playable . Its heavy & very solid , got a neck like a P-bass i`d say & sounds you can get basically any sound Jazz or P-Bass sounds are there. The bass is made to last forever its like a rock. Thanks for the help my brother, im Downunder but not on the moon or Saturn, its not that far . Insurance would pretty much make sure it arrives safely so i dont know why people freak out so much. I have bought from the States recently it took the bass exactly 6 days to get to my doorstep Downunder in packaging you wouldnt believe just unreal service(Ebay). I think the more expensive the item the more care is taken in its arrival. Anyway its going on Ebay straight after i find out shipping & insurance so keep an eye out bro if your interested plus i will put some new high resolution photos to see it even better.Thanks again for the help, Catchya later brother.

[quote name='axl33' post='205390' date='May 23 2008, 06:54 PM']Yeah thanks heaps brother. I didnt expect some of the attitude i got about the shipping from downunder i dont think its going to be an arm & legs worth.Its saturday now so i will get shipping & insurance info on Monday 100%. If there is Shergold Modulator collectors i would get it if i was them the bass sounds awesome plays just great & action could be a just a tad better but its very playable . Its heavy & very solid , got a neck like a P-bass i`d say & sounds you can get basically any sound Jazz or P-Bass sounds are there. The bass is made to last forever its like a rock. Thanks for the help my brother, im Downunder but not on the moon or Saturn, its not that far . Insurance would pretty much make sure it arrives safely so i dont know why people freak out so much. I have bought from the States recently it took the bass exactly 6 days to get to my doorstep Downunder in packaging you wouldnt believe just unreal service(Ebay). I think the more expensive the item the more care is taken in its arrival. Anyway its going on Ebay straight after i find out shipping & insurance so keep an eye out bro if your interested plus i will put some new high resolution photos to see it even better.Thanks again for the help, Catchya later brother.[/quote]

I've tried out similar Shergolds, being a lover of UK made basses, and it was very heavy with quite a round neck -- not the profile for me. I am in the USA and have shipped and received from Australia before and it was a monstrous $300. per package. You will have to use shipping companies (FedEx and such) as guitar boxes are over the size limit. This seller is a novice to international shipping details. According to the generous appraised estimates from forum members, the shipping could/will be half the value of the bass. These are realistic issues and transportation figures. Sorry...."brother"

What are YOU sorry for i`ve had some interest in this bass its going to be worth money in the future.Half the value now but later on its going to over take what you paid for the shipping.You will be able to ask for more in the future not less & your not my brother.

axl33,

Of course shipping from Aus is not the end of the world, but it is important enough to make clear to prospective buyers. To be honest, you're a new seller, from a different country, and it hasn't helped to be defensive and unforthcoming with information (location and full description not in first post). Someone in the UK may well be interested in your bass, but it's important to research all the costs [u]first[/u] to put a buyer's mind at ease. Especially when we're so distrustful of our own courier companies, and it costing about £40 to send anything insured within the UK. Just imagine the potential ensuing chaos if someone just said "I'll have it" to your initial post.

Anyway, play nice, everyone.

Best of luck with the sale, axl33.

Thanks man, see a person with a brain. Just dont like people from a country that has distrupted the world to call me brother i think he should mind his own buisiness , i was` nt calling him bro anyway, i dont want or need his advice from that part of the world `Sorry Brother` . Whats he sorry for anyway its not his bass . Theres 1 idiot in every pub. Thanks for the info paul,the. I`m definitly taking the bass off this site. IT IS NOW ON EBAY FOR SALE FROM THE 25TH.THANK YOU EVERYBODY & GOODBYE.

Edited by axl33

THIS SHERGOLD MODULATOR 2 IS NOW ON EBAY IF THERE IS PEOPLE THAT ARE INTERESTED. AGAIN MODULATOR 2 BASS IS NOT ON BASSCHAT ANYMORE. IT HAS BEEN WITHDRAWN TO EBAY. THANK YOU TO THE PEOPLE THAT HELPED WITHOUT ATTITUDE.

Thanks heaps C.K but dont bother its probably a waste of time. I`m not pissed off its nothing let `em go say what they want karma will get them` What you give you shall Recieve` . They dont care what we think they know it all but thank you C.K. I will stay intouch with ya.

Hi. Came to this a bit late. Used to have a couple of Marathons as my first good basses and used them for years.

I was about to add to try the Shergold forum, but then thought to have a looksee and see that you have already.

Good luck with the sale anyway. Suggested prices should be about right. If I remember correctly my last Marathon sold went for around £300 including its flightcase