Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day!

GazWills

OK, so I don't want to get into the Fender good / Fender bad QA discussions - I'm far too happy with my new bass to care ;)

I popped into a guitar shop this weekend as I wanted to try a 2012 Precision, as they seem to be getting a lot of good press on here and over on Talkbass (and I wanted to compare them to my JV Squier P's)... they didn't have a 2012 in stock, but had a 2011 - which was an absolute beaut...

So after 40 minutes playing, and almost as long haggling, I managed to get a really good deal on this (as it's an older model). Anybody on the fence about getting a fender, there seem to be a few bargains out there on 2008 spec basses if you are happy to haggle :)

It's really light, has a fantastic neck, lovely sunburst finish and really well set up. Very punchy sound too...

Hey Well done! :D I picked up a 2011 P Bass in Olympic White back in October last year. It was the first new USA Fender I bought since 1995. The newer Fenders are a vast improvement over the last 5 years or so. Can I ask how much you haggled??

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1358800655' post='1945365']
Can I ask how much you haggled??
[/quote]

I am particularly bad at haggling normally, but I basically did a google shopping search for '2011 US P bass' on my iphone. Digital Village had a few 2011 basses left at £899 so I asked them to match that :) There are a handful of 2011's on the 'net for the same price (and some stated as being '2008' for £799 too) so bargains out there...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1358800671' post='1945366']
nice! (and how does it compare to the JV's?)
[/quote]

well, weight-wise it sits between the 2 JV's I have. I don't have the ability to weight any of them, but the US is pretty light. Obviously the two JV's have had 30 years of playing, but the neck on the US is really nice, a very similar profile. The US has a v. similar tone to the JV's, but is maybe slightly beefier... I may actually sell one of the JV's but not going to rush into that decision!

It had to be better than my JV's for me to buy it, and I think it is - I'm really really happy with it :)

Congrats, lovely bass. I bought one of these in Olympic White/Tort/Rosewood last year, and they are amazingly good basses, great players, and sound very nice too. Mine weighs in at about 8.4lbs which is a lovely weight - especially at 3hr rehearsals. Mine cost £786 from PMT in Northampton, and this was the advertised price, no haggling required.

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1358851411' post='1945905']
Wow - was it a 2011 year bass??
[/quote]

Yes, with the 60 year anniversary neck plate. Couldn`t believe my luck when I saw it advertised. chatting to the guy at PMT he said he couldn`t believe it when the instruction came round to price them up at that amount. They also had Black/White/Maple ones for the same amount.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1358856984' post='1946010']
Yes, with the 60 year anniversary neck plate. Couldn`t believe my luck when I saw it advertised. chatting to the guy at PMT he said he couldn`t believe it when the instruction came round to price them up at that amount. They also had Black/White/Maple ones for the same amount.
[/quote]

amazing - there are still one or two white and black P's on their website at £799... had to haggle with mine as it was falsely marked up as a 2012 (by mistake)... not sure a sunburst is worth an extra £100, but I'm still very happy with £900 for a brand new US precision :)