Why become a member? ×

Everything Everything's new album- a provisional review by Milton.

MiltyG565

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1358417964' post='1938656']
Never heard of them before.

If it's true, as the OP has said, that there are ads for them all over the internet then it would seem to me that their record company are pushing them hard on the tails of the succes Alt-J have enjoyed recently. "If you liked these guys then try these for size!!!"

EE don't do an awful lot for me. It's like they're trying to hard, a bit fussy.
[/quote]

Rich, EE were formed at the same time as Alt J but their releases pre-date Alt J by 4 years. They achieved notoriety before alt J, they were getting industry and broadcaster plaudits long before Alt J. They sound nothing like Alt J.

What does 'trying too hard' sound like? And why is being fussy about the music one makes a negative thing?

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1358417964' post='1938656']
EE don't do an awful lot for me. It's like they're trying to hard, a bit fussy.[/quote]

I have to agree. Each to his own and YMMV and so on, but their material does sound a little too contrived for my taste. Which wouldn't matter too much if I liked what they do, but I don't. The singing in particular I find irritating, but of course that's just my opinion, folks!

I don't want to get caught up in an EE love/hate thread, so I'm off before 'Fear Of God' gets here and gives me a tongue lashing! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358418584' post='1938667']
...I'm off before 'Fear Of God' gets here and gives me a tongue lashing! :D
[size=4][/quote][/size][quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358418384' post='1938663']
What does 'trying too hard' sound like? And why is being fussy about the music one makes a negative thing?[/quote]

Agghh, too late! Run away! Run away! :o[size=4] [/size] ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358418584' post='1938667']
I have to agree. Each to his own and YMMV and so on, but their material does sound a little too contrived for my taste. Which wouldn't matter too much if I liked what they do, but I don't. The singing in particular I find irritating, but of course that's just my opinion, folks!

I don't want to get caught up in an EE love/hate thread, so I'm off before 'Fear Of God' gets here and gives me a tongue lashing! :D
[/quote]

All music is 'contrived'. What does TOO contrived sound like?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358418882' post='1938676']
All music is 'contrived'. What does TOO contrived sound like?[/quote]

OK, my 2p: TOO contrived in the case of EE means that they sound (to me) like they deliberately decided to be a pop band that produces 'serious music' (as opposed to the formulaic pop of their peers), so that they appear to be [i]credible[/i] as well. That is what comes over (to me) in their music. Nothing wrong with that of course - it's an angle which is obviously working well for them and their investors.

[size=4]Bottom line is, I don't like what they do. It's just a little over-produced for my liking. I prefer music that [i]seems [/i]to be more spontaneous and organic. That is my humble opinion. If we all liked the same music, yadda yadda. :)[/size]

[size=4]But then I don't like Rush either, so there you go. *puts on Geddy Lee false nose, wig and glasses and hides in washing machine*[/size]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358420656' post='1938711']
OK, my 2p: TOO contrived in the case of EE means that they sound (to me) like they deliberately decided to be a pop band that produces 'serious music' (as opposed to the formulaic pop of their peers), so that they appear to be [i]credible[/i] as well. That is what comes over (to me) in their music. Nothing wrong with that of course - it's an angle which is obviously working well for them and their investors.

[size=4]Bottom line is, I don't like what they do. It's just a little over-produced for my liking. I prefer music that [i]seems [/i]to be more spontaneous and organic. That is my humble opinion. If we all liked the same music, yadda yadda. :)[/size]

[size=4]But then I don't like Rush either, so there you go. *puts on Geddy Lee false nose, wig and glasses and hides in washing machine*[/size]
[/quote]

Fair enough mate. I had no idea you liked jazz though, interesting.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358418384' post='1938663']
Rich, EE were formed at the same time as Alt J but their releases pre-date Alt J by 4 years. They achieved notoriety before alt J, they were getting industry and broadcaster plaudits long before Alt J. They sound nothing like Alt J.

What does 'trying too hard' sound like? And why is being fussy about the music one makes a negative thing?
[/quote]

Both formed in 2007. EE have been picking up plaudits and nominations for various awards over the past few years, but still not quite broken through etc etc. If I were an A&R bod at their record company I would have been looking at the success of Alt-J, seeing this as a prime time to really push EE and trying to tap into it. They may sound different, however, they're occupying a similar space musically and I'd definitely be trying to hook some of Alt-J's audience. They're both 'Indie Pop/Rock' bands.

For my taste, fussy, because each element seems to be trying to battle for attention and distracting from the whole, i.e the song itself. And yes all music is contrived. As soon as you have an idea and start to develop it it becomes contrived. However, I agree with discreet, this [b]feels[/b] like they have purposely gone out of their way to create something 'credible'.

I don't hate their material, it just doesn't do anything for me either.

I'm off to sharpen my knives and clean my shotgun whilst listening to some experimental jazz :D :ph34r: :gas:

I would disagree with your point about EE not breaking through, maybe it's the Mercury that got Alt J onto yours and others' radars.

Your taste and perception is of course your own affair, but FEELING like the band have " .. purposely gone out of their way to create something 'credible.' " is purely conjecture.

My feeling is that I am very encouraged that music like this is being brought into the 'mainstream' and that they have a diverse audience.

Enjoy the jazz :D

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1358415362' post='1938609']

I was a teenager in the late '80s / early '90s so no, indie to me is what it says it is and there was a ton of good stuff that carried that tag in those days.

Got to the office this morning and my co-worker is playing this new EE album. Very nice. :)
[/quote]
I totally agree the ee thing is quite listenable I just cringe (like many others too I guess) at the modern usage of indie (and RnB too for that matter)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1358415362' post='1938609']
I was a teenager in the late '80s / early '90s so no, indie to me is what it says it is and there was a ton of good stuff that carried that tag in those days.
[/quote]

Even by then the term "indie" had already become devalued.

When it first appeared with regards to music it meant bands whose records had independent distribution rather than being handled by one of the major label distributors. It was more of a musical and business philosophy than an actual style of music since it covered bands as diverse as Throbbing Gristle at one end of the spectrum to Lori & The Chameleons at the other.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358388462' post='1938454']
Ah-ha..! That explains a lot... ;)
[/quote]

Yeah, it does, doesn't it?
But I didn't wanna go there, and rather show you Brit lot some consideration. I'm sorry you delved into it. Remember the site and its owners are legally responsible. ;)

best,
bert

• 7 months later...

Like, bump.

I've had Man Alive and Arc on a lot at work lately. In between heavy stints of early '90s rap like Snoop and Cypress Hill. But anyway: It took me a while to get into Arc (where Man Alive grabbed me pretty quickly) because I think it's been watered down a bit to try to appeal to a broader audience, but I think they've struggled to dilute it successfully because they actually really meant what they were doing on Man Alive, so Arc sounds a little bit too soft, too considered.

One thing they are is very clever, struggling a little to find an audience but show me a band worth an audience that isn't. And there is no better bass player in modern pop music and I will fight anyone who disagrees with rubber imitation knives and nuchucks.

Actually I am disappointed that so much bandwidth here is given over to Victor Wooten who has the worst bass sound I've ever heard and no audible soul whatsoever but just so happens to slap faster (and unfortunately less tunefully) than anyone else every in history, when you've got this geezer who is a living breathing example of how to be an awesome bassist and he's totally ignored because he's making actual music instead of making solo bass guitar albums.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1377216115' post='2185025']
Actually I am disappointed that so much bandwidth here is given over to Victor Wooten who has the worst bass sound I've ever heard and no audible soul whatsoever but just so happens to slap faster (and unfortunately less tunefully) than anyone else every in history, when you've got this geezer who is a living breathing example of how to be an awesome bassist and he's totally ignored because he's making actual music instead of making solo bass guitar albums.
[/quote]

I don't like Victor Wooten much myself, or solo bass albums. I know one of Wooten's songs is called "You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket", and I don't know how to put this, but I think music shouldn't acknowledge itself in music.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1358432306' post='1939007']

Even by then the term "indie" had already become devalued.

When it first appeared with regards to music it meant bands whose records had independent distribution rather than being handled by one of the major label distributors. It was more of a musical and business philosophy than an actual style of music since it covered bands as diverse as Throbbing Gristle at one end of the spectrum to Lori & The Chameleons at the other.
[/quote]

ISTR that Stock! Aitken & Waterman's acts were technically Indie because they were released on Pete Waterman's own PWL label, so they regularly used to top the NME's Indie chart.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1377215448' post='2185019']
Like, bump.

I've had Man Alive and Arc on a lot at work lately. In between heavy stints of early '90s rap like Snoop and Cypress Hill. But anyway: It took me a while to get into Arc (where Man Alive grabbed me pretty quickly) because I think it's been watered down a bit to try to appeal to a broader audience, but I think they've struggled to dilute it successfully because they actually really meant what they were doing on Man Alive, so Arc sounds a little bit too soft, too considered.

One thing they are is very clever, struggling a little to find an audience but show me a band worth an audience that isn't. And there is no better bass player in modern pop music and I will fight anyone who disagrees with rubber imitation knives and nuchucks.
[/quote]
[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1377216115' post='2185025']
[/quote]

Yep, agree on both counts.

Jeremy Pritchard is a wonderful bassist and musician, but he'll be ignored or not noticed by most bass heads. Context innit.