Why become a member? ×

Who's the most unlikely EUB convert on BC?

Low End Bee

Probably me. A plectrum playing pop punkster with no musical theory.
Thanks to the very wonderful Happy Jack and his loan of an Ampeg Baby and a PJB briefcase I've taken the plunge. I guess this is a bit easier than a real DB to play and I'm really enjoying it a lot so far. The big test will be on Thursday at rehearsal. I've managed to adapt the basslines to our songs without too much of a problem. Luckily they're all fairly simple :) I can't wait to hear what they sound like with the guitarist on acoustic and the drummer on his new cajon.
Anyway I've started a blog that will feature my upright journey heavily. [url="http://adjetsonic.wordpress.com/"]http://adjetsonic.wordpress.com/[/url]
The only thing I'm struggling with so far is where to stand? How do you sidle up to a mini wardrobe. Thank **** it's not the full size jobbie. Speaking of which destiny has seen my tiny company car hatchback get swapped for something bigger so hopefully it'll fit!
Any tips are most welcome.

Yes another newbie, welcome to the club mate! I am really enjoying mine even though it is now known as the money pit :lol: Have you had a scam through my total noob thread? there is lots of useful stuff the good folk here have told me and sent links to etc obviously mine is a cheapo stagg but a lot of the info will be the same, the strings thread info might be useful (and costly) to you too and what about a bow? :D

I am more excited about playing now than I have in years, enjoy :)

Thanks Pete I'll have a good read of your newbie thread. I'm vowing to not spend any money though. But we've all said that before........

I'm happy to just get a sound out at the moment Clarky! I'll have a go at that finger thing though. I'm hoping playing half the notes I normally do will help me play the songs at their usual tempo.

You won't need any strings Ad so that will be the biggest cost avoided (it has a nicely worn-in set of Jargar strings on, for the record, which should last for years - these are the same ones used by Lee Rocker, ex-Stray Cats, on his basses although I wouldn't recommend slapping a Baby Bass!) TBH, with the Baby Bass and the DB-friendly Phil Jones combo I can't see you having to spend anything - result!

I did not have anyone to lend one from, my Spiro weichs have still have not come either :(

I have found open string to be my friend, sods law after taking to the five stringers 2 years ago and shifing everything up so doing covers in different keys with different bands would be easier (and it is) I am now trying to convert my fingering to work from the open strings and first few notes (half position Clarky?)

Love it :)

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1358202775' post='1934947']
It's not been as daunting as I expected so far. I'm thinking my agricultural bass guitar style has stood me in good stead.
I read the newbie thread. Interesting. I'm not going to go down the jazz or bow avenues. I'm hoping there's a little 'swing' hidden in our songs.
[/quote]
I have been learning to read for a while now so it made sense to link the two together and the bow is just for practising to make the notes last longer whilst trying to intonate, I can't see me playing and bowed gigs!

Oh, I so long for an Ampeg Baby Bass and a PJB. Probably have to get rid of an old wardrobe first and I'm not quite ready yet ... Just love that Latin sound. I've never held a baby bass so I'm not sure how they snuggle in, but I'm sure they do. My best advice is to have an Alexander technique lesson, take the bass and video the session. Thanks to my teacher, Lynne, I can play more comfortably, for longer and produce a better tone with less buzz. Still working on the intonation though!

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1358203361' post='1934967']
Root - Fifth (below)

Repeat.

Job done

Welcome to the big boys club, Mr Bee!
[/quote]

Occasionally the 5th will be above, as the note you have played is on the bottom E. Do not panic, there is a 5th above, most will not notice the sudden change, and the audience will remain calm. You will have stepped up to the next level.
:)

The Alexander what Sarah? I'm afraid I'm sticking to my no cost plan. I've never even had a bass guitar lesson let alone a how to stand up one! I can't see us playing for more than 20 minutes in this format and I seem to be able to play much longer than that without buzz or discomfort. Rehearsal on Thursday will see if I have to eat my words though!

What's a fifth? There are no frets to count ;)

The advantage I have I guess is that as I'm onlydoing this so we can play our own songs in an acoustic format (even though I will be going through an amp) so I can do them however I want as long as they sound reasonably OK.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1358247495' post='1935359']
The Alexander what ...?
[/quote]

A methodology for breathing and body movement to reduce stresses (and damage). It's not specific to music - I think it originated in the acting world (?) - but can allegedly help in just about any physical activity.

Let me now if you're doing any accoustic gigs south of the river.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1358247495' post='1935359']
I can't see us playing for more than 20 minutes in this format and I seem to be able to play much longer than that without buzz or discomfort.
[/quote]

Just take it steady, the stamina will build up slowly and the more you get comfortable with it the less effort it will take to play it so you won't tire so easily - double win. When I started on DB I couldn't do more than 10 minutes at a time, now it's much like playing bass guitar.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1358256826' post='1935659']
Just take it steady, the stamina will build up slowly and the more you get comfortable with it the less effort it will take to play it so you won't tire so easily - double win. When I started on DB I couldn't do more than 10 minutes at a time, now it's much like playing bass guitar.
[/quote]

I'm guessing the Ampeg is pretty easy to play compared to the real deal. I played about 45 minutes last night without a problem. Picking up the Precision afterwards it felt ridiculously small and easy to play. That's a nice bonus.

It was just the guitarist and me last night. We had a lot of fun but I'm afraid it's not what we're after. It just doesn't sit right with the songs. We could get something gig worthy no doubt but it would mean lots of rehearsals that would be to the detriment of the main focus of the band.
I'll be going down the precision with flats on route. A shame really as visually it's great and it is fun to play.
I need to move around as well. I didn't like not having my little walk around while I was playing. I felt very fidgety.
I do find it a very satisying instrument to play solo so I may buy one for my own pleasure in the future.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1358501989' post='1940230']
Really sorry to hear that Ad ... I thought this could be a real solution.

Ah well, you'd best buy a Kala U-Bass. :D
[/quote]

Yeah. Me to. Thanks so much for the loan HJ. I'm really very grateful. As I said it's lots of fun and I believe you should always try new stuff.

I don't know if I could throw shapes with a U-Bass! Sounds like a challenge :)