Why become a member? ×

Belt and braces for blues playing?

Paul S

I play with a pick. I would like to be able to play fingerstyle as well as I can with a pick so I have both skills at my disposal but, try as I might, don't have sufficient control, consistency or speed. I practice and improve, but not quickly.

At the moment I am learning songs for a new blues band and, for some tracks, could really do with less attack - something nearer to a fingerstyle sound but still allow the greater speed and control that a pick gives me. Rolling off the treble/playing nearer the neck/using the fat end of a regular pick etc didn't cut it.

After trying a few soft plastic/rubber things that went wrong I wondered if leather might work. I tried an old strap but it was too floppy. Then I found an old leather belt I wore when gardening that has gone a bit hard - I cut the end off that, shaped it a bit - perfect! Weird kind of sound, not quite fingerstyle but a reassuringly soft plunk. Yet easily controlled like a pick.

I'll still plug away at fingerstyle as it would be nice to be able to nail it. But for now I have a whole belt's worth of soft picks.

Anyone else discovered a Blue Peter approach to playing?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1357673831' post='1926547']
I haven't, but I think Shep has. :D
[/quote]

.................. using a bit of old Fairy Liquid bottle?

................. well what do you expect, at least I didn't suggest a pair of Val's old knickers...
...... he sleeps in them............... over his head!

keep at it,
I played for years with only a pick, had a break for a few years, got back into playing ....using fingers, don't know exactly why, just did.
That was five years ago, now some songs we play require a pick and I find it hard to play with a pick but I am sticking with it.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1357684189' post='1926854']
I sympathise, but the other way. I've never been able to get the hang of a pick. No matter what I do, after a few notes it just slips out from between my fingers onto the floor. Mystery!
[/quote]
+1. I can only get through a song on a pick if it is repetitive root notes or similar !

Thanks for your input :) Felt ukelele picks - might well try one of those. Also foam under the strings, which I hadn't thought of either. All the other stuff - adjusting the angle of pick, distance from bridge etc I have tried. Well, apart from washing up liquid bottles and sticky tape, anyway. But, yes, the best thing is to keep practicing playing with fingers until I can do it properly. Strange how we vary - I find pick playing completely intuitive but finger playing totally alien.

Having started on guitar I thought using a pick on a bass would be quite natural for me. For some strange reason it feels completely alien and I just can't do it at all. If I ever want that tone I have to put thumb and first finger together and use the fingenail. I now find that when I go back to guitar I don't use a pick which I couldn't really do before I started mainly playing bass. Sorry, doesn't help, but I do like your fix!

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1357684468' post='1926866']
Another option might be a ukulele plectrum, which is made of compressed felt and might work for you...[/quote]

Or possibly one of these? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/193547-pick-boy-felt-picks/page__hl__pickboy"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/193547-pick-boy-felt-picks/page__hl__pickboy[/url] :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1357673695' post='1926536']
I practice and improve, but not quickly.
[/quote]

Be patient. Any new skill/technique takes a bit of time, practice and patience to master.
You are obviously on the right track, so keep at it.