Why become a member? ×

Making You Tube Videos

Wan

I'd recommend investing in a decent audio interface/sound card so you get a decent enough signal that you can record in Logic. Other than that, any basic HD video recording suffices for You Tube videos and I assume you have some basic movie editing software where you can smack it altogether for your final product. :)

[quote name='Wan' timestamp='1357232055' post='1919519']
Hi people,

I've got to make a few Bass related Videos and I need you help as to how best do it....

I've got a Mac running Logic, an Ipad and an iphone....

What do ya think ?

Ta Wan
[/quote]

The way i usually do it is- record your track in a DAW then use the camera in the mac to record. You can do this by opening iMovie and clicking the little camera symbol, about half way down the screen. Then you click capture, it starts recording, and also start recording your bass. You might want to kill the volume input for iMovie, because it will also record whatever sound is being picked up (although not to the same quality as your DAW). You can also record on your iPad and send it to iMove on the mac. or even your iPhone, multiple angles is good, makes it a bit more interesting.

Then you simply edit it and line the audio up with it. That can take a little bit of time, but it needs to be right. If you want transitions, make sure you insert them while editing, and not at the end, because that will throw your audio and video out of sync. You can check out a couple of my covers on my YouTube channel if you like, that's how i record them. The link to my channel is the red link in my signature below this post.

Good luck!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1357237626' post='1919647']

Then you simply edit it and line the audio up with it. That can take a little bit of time, but it needs to be right.

[/quote]

For each take, just before you start playing -clap your hands in front of the camera.

This will give you an accurate video/audio sync point that should speed things up...

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1357284038' post='1920254']
For each take, just before you start playing -clap your hands in front of the camera.

This will give you an accurate video/audio sync point that should speed things up...
[/quote]

Good tip. I do something similar. Also if you mess up during the vid and want to start again, just do some other hand signal for the camera so you'll know where the "new" beginiing is, rather than having to set it all up again. You can obviously crop crop out all the duff footage at the beginning. Just saves time.

I just use my digital camera to capture the lot, or my iphone.

I was going to invest in some recording equipment but until I upgrade our iMac to a new model I don't see the point.

To be honest, 90% of the people will listen to it on a smartphone or through normal computer speakers, so having ridiculously high quality sound isn't hugely necessary.

I only did a few, then took them down, but a few people asked how I did it and was suprised that it was just a small digital Sony camera. It actually picks the sound up pretty well, and zero faffing.

I wrote a little instructional piece in the Recordings Forum - it's been pinned at the top of the forum for at least a couple of years - I need to update it actually but the information is still relevant - have a look:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/87414-how-to-make-a-good-looking-and-sounding-youtube-video/

One tip in terms of synching separately recorded audio - from the camera mic and your DAW is to use a 1-2-3-4- count-in - if you're playing along to a backing track - then just edit this off afterwards. I've recently switched over to using Final Cut X and really love it - but the latest version of iMovie is very good too.

Hope that helps

M

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1357284038' post='1920254']

[/quote]

Yeah, it's a good tip, but recording bass through the external sound card, this won't work, because it would just be visual, with no audio. I never need to do that anyway, doing a recording, it will be pretty clear when it is synced up and when it isn't. my other vids, the audio and video are recorded automatically through the same means (the in-built mic and camera in the MBP). These are already aligned, but after a few minutes recording in iMovie, they go out of sync, but i find it is better to save, and restart the recording at that point anyway. It just makes editing easier, and also, if the file got corrupted (unlikely) you wouldn't lose the entire film.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1357238841' post='1919691']
Just made a quick video of how i do it if you are willing to wait a few hours to see it? :D
[/quote]
i'd like to see this - is it posted anywhere?

I can use Logic, no probs, and can record video, but have no idea on how to get the thing together in iMovie - you know, importing audio etc

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1358932910' post='1947129']
i'd like to see this - is it posted anywhere?

I can use Logic, no probs, and can record video, but have no idea on how to get the thing together in iMovie - you know, importing audio etc
[/quote]

Sorry, i completely forgot about this. I'll do a quick tutorial tomorrow, if that's alright?