Why become a member? ×

NBD Fender Blacktop Jazz bass

Mudpup

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1357240716' post='1919740']
I tried it out next to a Geddy Lee and an active Mex Jazz and it was way hotter, a bit thicker sounding and much more growly. It has a more piano'ey character too imho.
[/quote]

Good review - looks the business- it's black alright!!!

It's a lovely looking bass... but I just can't get used to those pickups! :huh: Does it sound more like a J or a P? Does it combine the best of both or the worst of both?

The bridge pickup in particular seems to be oddly positioned - it's [i]very [/i]close to the bridge. How does that sound compared to a J in that position?

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1357551692' post='1924190']
It's a lovely looking bass... but I just can't get used to those pickups! :huh: Does it sound more like a J or a P? Does it combine the best of both or the worst of both?

The bridge pickup in particular seems to be oddly positioned - it's [i]very [/i]close to the bridge. How does that sound compared to a J in that position?
[/quote]

I know what you mean about the looks but as soon as i fired it up it was job done!

It sounds like a very resonant growly jazz with both pups on but if you back off the bridge it turns into a pbass and the bridge pickup on its own sounds like a thicker hotter jazz. I tried it out right next to a few other jazzes, precisions and a Lakland including actives and it was much stronger sounding. Its pretty in your face but has a lovely depth to it and seems incredibly versatile. You can make tiny changes to blend and tone and it really changes the character. Its a floorshaker with real definition and cut. Bloody love it!

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1357601389' post='1925358']
It sounds like a very resonant growly jazz with both pups on but if you back off the bridge it turns into a pbass and the bridge pickup on its own sounds like a thicker hotter jazz. I tried it out right next to a few other jazzes, precisions and a Lakland including actives and it was much stronger sounding. Its pretty in your face but has a lovely depth to it and seems incredibly versatile. You can make tiny changes to blend and tone and it really changes the character. Its a floorshaker with real definition and cut. Bloody love it!
[/quote]

Hmmmmm..... Sounds good! B) :gas:

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1358977498' post='1948115']
Nothings dropped off yet buddy!
[/quote]

Nice one dude! I think the build on mine is pretty decent but not quite as good as my old MIM Roger Waters which was immaculate or my new US P. For the coin, they are pretty hard to beat I reckon.