Why become a member? ×

Which stomp box for tone?

LITTLEWING

Maybe I didn't put the right words in my other post. What I'm after is a good sounding box to help a passive bass sound sweeter before hitting the amp. I can't afford an active Stingray at the minute so I'm looking at getting a sound I like without messing with the EQ on my amp too much and colouring things too much. I'd rather have a pleasing tone going in the amp and then using it to simply amplify and maybe fine tune things from there. What's good on the market?

From your other thread and this one, I've picked up "smooth", "punch" and "sweeter" and not wanting to colour the sound too much with tone controls.

Perhaps a compressor? It's a subtle effect, but you said in the other thread you're close to your tone, so a suitable comp may just give you that last bit.

Be warned though, not all comps are created equal, good ones tend to be expensive and they can be a b1tch to learn to set up if you don't understand compression.

If you want to try a limiter, which will do a lot of what the compressor does, permitting a higher basic volume because it prevents volume spikes while retaining volume dynamics below the threshold - I've got one I'm selling cheap.

However your comment about a passive bass sounding sweeter makes me think you DO want to colour the sound. In that case it might be work looking at a Joyo/Harley Benton American Sound pedal. It's a guitar pedal to simulate a Fender Bassman, and it really does some very nice things to a bass's tone used in front of an amp. However, and it IS a big however, what ever you do, if you want to add a pedal to fatten or sweeten the tone, you're going to have to twiddle some knobs to make it sound right - it's almost unheard of to set all controls to max or 12 o'clock and have a great sound, and that would be true of an active bass (even more so) too.

If it's a Stingray-type tone you are trying to get ( depending of course on what bass you are using ) try a PM to Tommo on these pages. He's done some excellent pre-amps based on early Sabre and Stingrays and did put one in a stomp box

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1357158017' post='1918434']
If it's a Stingray-type tone you are trying to get ( depending of course on what bass you are using ) try a PM to Tommo on these pages. He's done some excellent pre-amps based on early Sabre and Stingrays and did put one in a stomp box
[/quote]

+1 Either a standalone preamp or of course you could modify your current bass to be active. Alternatively, if you're not happy with the tone of the bass you could change the pups. Wizard pickups have a good name and do versions of the musicman pickups.

Specifically to stomp boxes, I would be looking at EQ pedals and compressors.

Finally, you could look at a multifx pedal like the Zoom B3 and use the amp modelling settings to change your tone, i.e. swtiching between an SVT model to a Bassman etc depending on your needs. Some FX pedals may model pickups as well (I think the B9.1ut does this), it which case you may be able to find something that is a facsimile of what you're after.

Long story short though, as far as I'm aware if you want a stingray tone, you have to just buy a stingray...

Edited by Commando Jack

What does your bass sound like now, and what would you like it to sound like?

It's really difficult to help you when the only description of the sound you want is 'sweeter'. 'Sweet' on its own is a rather vague word that is open to interpretation, but 'sweeter' complicates things further, requiring a knowledge of the existing sweetness levels you're achieving.

Then you go and suggest that a Stingray would fix your problem, and I don't think any of us would describe a Stingray as 'sweet-sounding'.

Difficult thread. More information needed.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[size=4]I would suggest trying a Zeibek / Electronix submarine or a [/size][size=4]SFX [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Big Beautiful Bass (B[sup]3[/sup]).Both are based on Kruezer bass preamp circuit.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I use a Submarine clone. It's not a drastic effect, really just brings in some low mid & warms the tone up a bit - makes my bass sound 'sweeter' to my ears :) [/font][/size]

Hi! :hi:

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1357146156' post='1918146']
Maybe I didn't put the right words in my other post. What I'm after is a good sounding box to help a passive bass sound sweeter before hitting the amp. I can't afford an active Stingray at the minute so I'm looking at getting a sound I like without messing with the EQ on my amp too much and colouring things too much. I'd rather have a pleasing tone going in the amp and then using it to simply amplify and maybe fine tune things from there. What's good on the market?
[/quote]

[size=4]This is probably a slightly controversial (?) suggestion, but how about the BBE 'Sonic Stomp Maximizer'.. a signal processor (not an effect). I got this one 2nd hand last year - again! - for 40 odd quid, and it's an acquired taste for sure.. BBE claim "[color=#414141][font=Arial, Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif]The BBE Sonic Stomp Pedal will make bassists rejoice! More fullness, more presence, more clarity, and more control right at your feet". Hmm.[/font][/color][/size]

Probably best used AFTER the pre-amp stage as the last processor in an effects loop.. BEFORE the amplifier stage.. If you can try one all the better..

Edited by SimonEdward

I'd say get yourself to the nearest good bass shop & try some stuff out.
What you're looking for could be any of those above, it could be a Sansamp or a DAH VT, it could be your rig, it could be your bass or even your playing style or how your EQ is set on your amp.

If you're sure it's a pedal, I'd maybe suggest buying things off here 2nd hand. That way if it's not the pedal you're after, you can sell it at little to no loss & move on to the next pedal.

Surprised no-one's mentioned the Behringer BDI-21 yet!

It's based on a Sansamp (which in itself is an Ampeg SVT clone) and will surely 'sweeten' your tone up. It'll add a touch of tube grind and you can tweak the treble to get a nice 'click'. Got a blend control too so you can mix it with your clean signal to taste.

Recommended as it's so cheap; brand new delivered you'll be looking at +/- £30 and even cheaper on eBay. The only reason they're so cheap is because the housing's not incredibly strong/wellbuilt.

Do you have any bassists/songs you want to emulate? That'd help us massively with providing suggestions for you. Also, what is your current rig?

Truckstop