Why become a member? ×

The classic all-round bass guitar?

Fionn

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1357121534' post='1917604']
I have a Celinder Jazz bass. Both pickups on full is the classic jazz bass sound that is heard on countless records. If someone isn't going for that then I don't see the point of staying with a jazz bass. Many other instruments out there are more versatile and look nicer. The Fender Roscoe Beck signature for example is definitely more versatile. Those coil split humbuckers really come into their own.

But if someone is playing mostly fingerstyle and doesn't need lots of attack, then p-bass with flats for sure.
[/quote]

Yes I was rather over-generalising, I thought my comment would stir the pot a little. However,I don't agree that the "both pickups on full" is THE classic jazz sound. It is one of the sounds, for sure, and yes, many folks do very successfully use it in situations where they are given ample space in a mix. But surely the J bridge pickup soloed is also another "classic" J tone. The great thing about the J is that it does so many, all with subtle variations of those two little volume pots. Luv 'em.

For me, if I want a tone similar to the "both pickups on full" sound but also want to be heard in a band context, all it takes is a tiny smidgeon of one pickup's volume reduced and voila, there are those mids again.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1357139687' post='1917972']
I think the most versatile bass I've used is the G&L L2000. And it doesn't really have any downright useless sounds in there either, so it manages to be versatile and easy to use at the same time, quite a nifty feat.

I wish they weren't so plain looking though.
[/quote]

Now for me, a BIG negative for the G & L system is the lack of a blending facility. The choice of pickups soloed or a 50:50 mix is too limiting for many.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1357139901' post='1917978']
Now for me, a BIG negative for the G & L system is the lack of a blending facility. The choice of pickups soloed or a 50:50 mix is too limiting for many.
[/quote]

Fair enough. I've never owned one and I don't even like the look of them but each time I pick one up I think it would be a very useful bass to have.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1357139687' post='1917972']
I think the most versatile bass I've used is the G&L L2000. And it doesn't really have any downright useless sounds in there either, so it manages to be versatile and easy to use at the same time, quite a nifty feat.

I wish they weren't so plain looking though.
[/quote]

With you on that.... fugly, and how they manage to do that from such a clasic startpoint, I'll never know. :lol:

Not a fan of humbuckers on basses.... but as long as you can switch them out.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1357140515' post='1917986']
All basses sound pretty much the same, don't they?
[/quote]

Funnily enough , a well known and highly respected record producer once told me with great authority that in the end all basses end up sounding approximately the same in the final track , and that the only real difference in sound was whether they have new strings on or not .

Yes for me, the magic's in the fingers, not in the instrument itself. A Precision is capable of many tones if you play it right. Don't get me wrong, I love many [i]many[/i] different models of basses, but if it came down to one, it'd be a nice and simple Precision, and a bit of imagination from the player.

David Bailey once said, that if you can't take a decent picture with a Kodak Instamatic, then you can't take a decent picture with a Leica either.

I find that a Jazz Bass with both pickups on full can sound fine in a band setting with the right eq , and every band I have played in has been LOUD . Some Jazz basses have more of a percieved drop in volume than others with both pickups on full , so its worth experimenting with different basses and also different pickup heights to minimise the effect . I find the mid -scoop on a Jazz with the pickps up full is no more problematic than the inherent dip in the midrange and wierd frequency spread on a Stingray , which can also be a bass that is difficult to hear in a live situation .

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1357140515' post='1917986']
All basses sound pretty much the same, don't they?
[/quote]

To most non bassists...yes!

Dont forget there are also still many out there who consider bassists to be second class musicians.

This is not quite as prevelant as it used to be. When I started playing there was almost a stigma about taking up the bass..."Your only a bass player because you couldnt cut it on guitar!"

This is still the case with many of the uneducated and ignorant. Surely others on the forum can relate???

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1357141469' post='1918006']
[b]Yes for me, the magic's in the fingers, not in the instrument itself. A Precision is capable of many tones if you play it right[/b]. Don't get me wrong, I love many [i]many[/i] different models of basses, but if it came down to one, it'd be a nice and simple Precision, and a bit of imagination from the player.

David Bailey once said, that if you can't take a decent picture with a Kodak Instamatic, then you can't take a decent picture with a Leica either.
[/quote]

We have a winner.

My main bass is an active PJ Fender. Bass and treble are set flat, mids are slightly boosted and the blend is more towards the P than the J. That is how it stays, I never touch the controls.

When I want a different sound I can play softer, harder, move my hand towards the neck or towards the bridge, pluck the strings towards the body or towards the top of the bass,slap at the end of the neck or between P & J Pickups, pluck with my thumb or use my thumb as a pick. I also occasionally whack the strings with my hand for certain effects. I have just changed the pickups to a DiMarzio Will Power and an Ultrajazz as they are more responsive to changes in playing style and I have my bass setup so that if I play it hard enough I can get a nice amount of fret buzz but not when I am playing normally

This comes from years of playing in function bands where I didn't have the time to change basses for certain sounds so I learnt to adapt my style to what I was playing. I think too many people try to find basses that can sound they way they want for different songs without actually trying to find out if there's a way that they can make their current bass do what they want.

This is something that I have done, not because I wanted to copy someone else's technique but which has happened out of necessity.

BTW I am not dissing anyone who has multiple basses, I just like to keep things simple and would rather have one well set up bass than several that I have to spend a lot of time setting each one up and having to switch between songs, spend more on strings, batteries etc.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1357145014' post='1918105']
To most non bassists...yes!

Dont forget there are also still many out there who consider bassists to be second class musicians.

This is not quite as prevelant as it used to be. When I started playing there was almost a stigma about taking up the bass..."Your only a bass player because you couldnt cut it on guitar!"

This is still the case with many of the uneducated and ignorant. Surely others on the forum can relate???
[/quote]

Yup, one of my mates always stuck to the party line of "But it only has 4 strings, and guitar has 6, therefore it is 2 easier". Trying to explain the difference in trying to create a good groove and good chord progression went completely over him, but he was an industrial metal and speed metal fan, so what do we expect?