Why become a member? ×

Chris Horton's bass guitars , amps & cabs

Chris Horton

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1357125188' post='1917668']
Being a certified Fender addict, I must admit as nice as they are, that MTD is doing it for me in ways I really shouldn't share....
[/quote]

Do these pictures help at all ? ;)

[IMG]http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/cmsb_horton/MTD%20535%20Walnut%20Burl/IMG_2782.jpg[/IMG]

This colour reminds me of when i was younger playing conkers :rolleyes:
[IMG]http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/cmsb_horton/MTD%20535%20Walnut%20Burl/IMG_2772.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1357127538' post='1917715']
Thanks for those Chris. I think you've just given my wife grounds for divorce :)

I can see what you mean about reminding you of conkers!
[/quote]

:lol:
what is your custom shop '55 P bass like to play ?
Did you get it from Si ? It looks like a tasty bass :gas:

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1357133729' post='1917858']
:lol:
what is your custom shop '55 P bass like to play ?
Did you get it from Si ? It looks like a tasty bass :gas:
[/quote]

It's gorgeous Chris . The build quality is superb and it sounds wonderful. It was a complete impulse buy so whether it sees much use over my other P bass rains to be seen. It's a wonderful bass though and pretty rare.

[quote name='wayne58' timestamp='1357145937' post='1918139']
That's a fine collection Chris, hope you're enjoying the Sadowsky.
[/quote]

Hi Cameron,
How are you ?

Thanks very much, Im loving the Sadowsky!
It is the lightest 5 string I have owned and the bass just feels right in your hands.
It is an all round lovely bass :)

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1357211262' post='1919043']
Thanks for sharing Chris.

You have a beautiful collection there. They are all utterly gorgeous...but the MTD is the one that really floats my boat. You are lucky to have such a nice group of instruments.

How does the MTD compare to your stunning Sadowsky?
[/quote]

Thanks for your very kind words, i am very fortunate to own these fantastic instruments. I just need to learn how to play them now !!
Here is a picture of them both together just to wet your whistle and i will report back this evening with a comparison report.......
[IMG]http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff464/cmsb_horton/MTD%20and%20Sadowsky/photo_zps0fc034a9.jpg[/IMG]

Well I have been playing both these bass guitars this evening comparing tones.

First off, the sadowsky is much lighter as the body is chambered.
I would say that the core tone of the Sadowsky is throaty and creamy sounding a bit like an active jazz.
The Sadowsky is super easy to play with every single string and every single note on the neck sounding even and equal. The B string is the best sounding that I have heard , tight and focused.
The tone controls do vary the tone a little but the core Sadowsky remains (that's not a bad thing)
You just plug the Sadowsky straight into an amp and your set :)

The MTD is a much more tonally versatile bass. It naturally has a very mid range tone with great clarity.
The MTD can do it all ........super zingey hi-fi treble to low end fat dub to an old skool P bass tone to incredible mid range punch.......anything you want to throw at it really.
The MTD is very responsive to your personal playing style. How you are feeling comes out in your tone. You can dramatically change your bass tone with your fingers , it's a wicked bass :)
The downside is that you can spend a lot of time trying to find"your tone" but when you do it is well worth the fiddling.

I hope that helps a little.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1357253512' post='1920047']

I would say that the core tone of the Sadowsky is throaty and creamy sounding a bit like an active jazz.
The Sadowsky is super easy to play with every single string and every single note on the neck sounding even and equal. The B string is the best sounding that I have heard , tight and focused.
The tone controls do vary the tone a little but the core Sadowsky remains (that's not a bad thing)

The MTD is a much more tonally versatile bass. It naturally has a very mid range tone with great clarity.
The MTD can do it all ........super zingey hi-fi treble to low end fat dub to an old skool P bass tone to incredible mid range punch.......anything you want to throw at it really.
The MTD is very responsive to your personal playing style. How you are feeling comes out in your tone. You can dramatically change your bass tone with your fingers , it's a wicked bass :)
The downside is that you can spend a lot of time trying to find"your tone" but when you do it is well worth the fiddling.

[/quote]
That helps a lot!!

Thanks so much Chris for taking the time out of your day to compare and contrast between these beauties for me. Very much appreciated.

In fact I would say that your description has me now convinced that the Sadowsky is the bass for me after all and not the MTD lol. Great stuff :)

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1357334800' post='1921393']

That helps a lot!!

Thanks so much Chris for taking the time out of your day to compare and contrast between these beauties for me. Very much appreciated.

In fact I would say that your description has me now convinced that the Sadowsky is the bass for me after all and not the MTD lol. Great stuff :)
[/quote]

No worries :)
My pleasure :)
I would defiantly recomend trying before you buy and having a play for your self if the chance arises.
I see that you are in scotland but If your ever down this way you are welcome to try the basses out.

I forgot to add yesterday ..........
Before I bought the Sadowsky ,I was a bit worried because all Sadowsky basses (apart from the Will Lee model) only have a treble & bass controll. No mid range adjust.
But since owning the bass i now feel that this is actually a big part of what creates the sweet Sadowsky tone (apart from the the incredible workmanship) and it is not a weakness at all.
When Playing the bass live It just sits in the mix beautifully.

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1357336260' post='1921420']
So in which order would you part with your basses
[/quote]

Oh , what a question !

First off I would sell the wife ..... Then the kids ...
I hope I never have to sell the basses though :D

I will get back to you on that one , it brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it :(

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1357335999' post='1921416']
No worries :)
My pleasure :)
I would defiantly recomend trying before you buy and having a play for your self if the chance arises.
I see that you are in scotland but If your ever down this way you are welcome to try the basses out.

I forgot to add yesterday ..........
Before I bought the Sadowsky ,I was a bit worried because all Sadowsky basses (apart from the Will Lee model) only have a treble & bass controll. No mid range adjust.
But since owning the bass i now feel that this is actually a big part of what creates the sweet Sadowsky tone (apart from the the incredible workmanship) and it is not a weakness at all.
When Playing the bass live It just sits in the mix beautifully.
[/quote]

Thank you Chris, you are too kind!

I understand exactly what you mean regarding the Sadowsky pre - for years I used the Sadowsky outboard version (exactly the same as those fitted to Rogers basses I am led to believe) when gigging with my Lakland Darryl Jones bass...and it was just so....right! The lack of a mid control was never an issue for me either.

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1357336260' post='1921420']
So in which order would you part with your basses
[/quote]

I am a precision bass lover at heart and Having given it some thought the order of bass removal would go like this----

First to go = pink paisley precision.
Second to go = '77 jazz.
Third to go = MTD
Forth to go = Sadowsky
Last to go = '69 precision , I hope to never sell this bass.

[quote]I've got bad GAS at the moment for a fretless 5 string Wal bass at the moment so I could be tempted to trade her for a wal bass [/quote]

Go on Chris, you know it makes sense, but you do realise I'm within burgling distance of your house

Just to whet your appetite further !

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_-zr5AwQbU[/media]

regards

Harry

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1357489205' post='1923336']
Go on Chris, you know it makes sense, but you do realise I'm within burgling distance of your house

Just to whet your appetite further !

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_-zr5AwQbU[/media]

regards

Harry
[/quote]

Thanks Harry ,
That video is not helping my GAS much :gas:
you have a nice tone going on there :rolleyes:

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1357253512' post='1920047']

[/quote]
Wow! Do you ever go out and leave a key under the doormat and if so can you pm your address and whether I can reverse straight onto your driveway please ?
What a very nice collection and backline Chris thanks for sharing.

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1357565621' post='1924509']
Wow! Do you ever go out and leave a key under the doormat and if so can you pm your address and whether I can reverse straight onto your driveway please ?
What a very nice collection and backline Chris thanks for sharing.
[/quote]

wow , i'm not really sure how to reply to that :lol: