Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Cabs????

teaser360

Since getting my Vintage (no longer made, but kind of replaced by the Super Fifteen) I have hardly even thought about speaker cabinets. They are a real GAS cure!

On the rare occasions when I have looked at other cabs, they have all been BFB ones.

I am no sycophantic fanboy - but for me the combination of tone, portability (despite choosing the biggest cab they ever made!!) volume and looks mean that I don't want or need anything else, and am unlikely to in the future.

The range is quite large now, and with the modular capabilities there really should be a combination that will deliver the sound you want. Contact Alex for the best advice!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1356950505' post='1915407']
Since getting my Vintage (no longer made, but kind of replaced by the Super Fifteen) I have hardly even thought about speaker cabinets. They are a real GAS cure!
[/quote]

You'd think so, but since I got a Super 15, I've bought two Copacts (for same tone but bus luggable) and then a Vintage (because more is more) and keep considering a Dubster. Now my rig is two Barefaced 2x15s.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1356955908' post='1915496']
You'd think so, but since I got a Super 15, I've bought two Copacts (for same tone but bus luggable) and then a Vintage (because more is more) and keep considering a Dubster. Now my rig is two Barefaced 2x15s.
[/quote]

I don't actually know Mr F, other than reading his posts on here.

However, I now have a pretty accurate picture in my mind's eye - looks like a Bond villan, lives in a secret lair built into a mountain and is looking to hold the world to ransom with his sonic destructor ray!

[quote name='teaser360' timestamp='1356898037' post='1914950']
my band plays stuff like, the who, weller, jam , kaiser chiefs, pistols, but me and the keyboard player normally have a run of 80s electro music, OMD, new order, depeche mode, for about 15 to mins so our set list is varied, we dont use a lead guitarist but have a pretty loud rhythm, and the drummer is a diamond cos he balances the sound out, [/quote]

Never played a Barefaced, but I want to be in your band !

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1356910402' post='1915151']
Rendered irrelevant by the mid driver in the barefaced cab, which gives it about 4k more, especially so off axis.
[/quote]

Which cab or cabs are you referring to...?

If you look at the spec of the 212, it will say upto 4khz..??? but no horn.
If that is the case, then it uses the cheaper Emimence driver from BFM link..??

The Eminence freq stats could be wrong but that is a difference of nigh on 2k...??? not sure where that will come from..??

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1356976442' post='1915977']
Which cab or cabs are you referring to...?

If you look at the spec of the 212, it will say upto 4khz..??? but no horn.
If that is the case, then it uses the cheaper Emimence driver from BFM link..??

The Eminence freq stats could be wrong but that is a difference of nigh on 2k...??? not sure where that will come from..??
[/quote]

The Ones with the LF drivers have the midranges, aside from the Dubster, the ones without midranges, have drivers that go up to 4k, like the one I linked, or the 12" version. None use the cheap drivers, they just use a different expensive driver.

Edit: typo

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1356886648' post='1914745']
This, or a variation of it, is the most commonly used neo twelve:
[url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIDLIT2512&browsemode=manufacturer"]http://www.bluearan....de=manufacturer[/url]

This, or a variation of it, is what you'll find in BFB twelve loaded cabs:
[url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIKLIT3012LF&browsemode=manufacturer"]http://www.bluearan....de=manufacturer[/url]
[/quote]

I was talking about this link...and they are both 12" and according to Eminence the cheaper 12 in the links is the one that goes to 4khz.
I am sure it is a perfectly good driver.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1356987212' post='1916183']
I was talking about this link...and they are both 12" and according to Eminence the cheaper 12 in the links is the one that goes to 4khz.
I am sure it is a perfectly good driver.
[/quote]

The cheaper one goes to 4k, so if you are cheap, you can make a cab that goes to 4k, but Barefaced use not one, but two premium drivers in their flagship cabs so they can go as high as 8k+, and probably a fair bit lower (lots lower with any power handling) than a cab loaded with a single cheapy driver.

[quote name='teaser360' timestamp='1356909995' post='1915144']

how long have you had to wait for yours?
[/quote]

Put my deposit down about a week before Christmas and was told that I was about 20 cabs down the list but I should have them by the end of January ish, which is faster than I expected.
Definitely worth the wait though.
Matt

Super12T + a GB Streamliner6 for me. Still enjoying mine, though I could possibly have got away without the T as mine is always at least halfway down, and when tested with the GB Shuttle all the way off.

Handles the 5's and low's from the Octave pedal with no bother

Edited by WalMan

JTUK - I am genuinely interested why you always dismiss Barefaced. You are their probably their most vocal critic on Basschat yet as far as I know never give a reason why you don't tlike them - only some mysterious oblique reply. Why don't you like them? For me, and for so many people, they are as near to perfection as can be bought in terms of lightweight gear but if you are aware of an issue then surely you should say what it is?

[quote name='garythebass' timestamp='1356956819' post='1915514']
Mr F - looks like a Bond villan, lives in a secret lair built into a mountain and is looking to hold the world to ransom with his sonic destructor ray!
[/quote]

And is secretly stockpiling Neodymium in order to hold the Chinese to ransom... B) :D

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1356994641' post='1916252']
The cheaper one goes to 4k, so if you are cheap, you can make a cab that goes to 4k, but Barefaced use not one, but two premium drivers in their flagship cabs so they can go as high as 8k+, and probably a fair bit lower (lots lower with any power handling) than a cab loaded with a single cheapy driver.
[/quote]

hmmm where does this 8k magically come from..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1357040636' post='1916573']
hmmm where does this 8k magically come from..??
[/quote]

If it was magic, it wouldn't come from anywhere. It comes from the speaker. The one that does the higher frequencies, because 8k is a quite high frequency, in the scheme of things.

I think this confusion about the frequency range of the BF 12" speakers comes from the fact Bill linked to the LF model, which Alex uses either crossed over to a separate mid range unit, or alone for the cabs which aren't intended for any output in the upper mids (like the Dubster). All the others use the HO model which has much more output in the mids.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1357063764' post='1917035']
If it was magic, it wouldn't come from anywhere. It comes from the speaker. The one that does the higher frequencies, because 8k is a quite high frequency, in the scheme of things.
[/quote]

So, different speakers then...??
So a 212 with different spec chassis...??? not unreasonable.
so which model would that be..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1357067737' post='1917107']
So, different speakers then...??
So a 212 with different spec chassis...??? not unreasonable.
so which model would that be..??
[/quote]

Different to what? The flagship Barefaced cab is the Big Twin, it used a pair of 3012LF and a mid driver I've forgotten, that costs about the same as one of the LF drivers. The Super 12 uses a pair of 3012 and no separate mid. It isn't hard to figure by looking at the website, and some basic logic.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1357069109' post='1917143']
Different to what? The flagship Barefaced cab is the Big Twin, it used a pair of 3012LF and a mid driver I've forgotten, that costs about the same as one of the LF drivers. The Super 12 uses a pair of 3012 and no separate mid. It isn't hard to figure by looking at the website, and some basic logic.
[/quote]

I was talking about the 12's..I quoted the 12's in the link..was only ever referring to 12's.. and said the higher priced 12 was limited to 2k.
Where you get the 8k figure in relation to 12's in the cab config, I don't know.... unless they use a different chassis
..which again, wouldn't be a crime, but then it wouldn't be the top end spec range either according to price...
which also assumes that top end price means best chassis for the job..
I have not got a problem with that, which ever way it lines up.....

But hey, if it suits your argument, fill your boots

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1357069960' post='1917163']
I was talking about the 12's..I quoted the 12's in the link..was only ever referring to 12's.. and said the higher priced 12 was limited to 2k.
Where you get the 8k figure in relation to 12's in the cab config, I don't know.... unless they use a different chassis
..which again, wouldn't be a crime, but then it wouldn't be the top end spec range either according to price...
which also assumes that top end price means best chassis for the job..
I have not got a problem with that, which ever way it lines up.....

But hey, if it suits your argument, fill your boots
[/quote]

The 3012LF is 12" driver. No 12" driver is the best thing for the job over about 2k because they become directional above there. Thus to do the best job, you use the 12s up to the point they are the best and use something else higher.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1357073902' post='1917261']
The 3012LF is 12" driver. No 12" driver is the best thing for the job over about 2k because they become directional above there. Thus to do the best job, you use the 12s up to the point they are the best and use something else higher.
[/quote]Now you know how it feels to be a dog chasing his own tail. :gas:

Back to the OP ...

I use the same head as you (GK MB500) into a compact. I play all sorts of things in my band from Kings of Leon and Killers to Stevie and Luther and it covers everything I need. I play huge gigs with full PA support and small gigs with just vocal PAs and I've never felt the need for anything else cab wise. It's punchy and very loud. One sound engineer I work with loves the sound of my bass and only puts a little through the FOH to beef up the sound.

A lot of people have suggested the super 12 but you may not have the room in your mini? A compact or midget should suit your needs.

Good luck, I hope you find what you want.