Why become a member? ×

Songs to learn??

geddyfender

Hi Jerry, don't ever feel like you need to keep a tally or score of how good you are. It's just not something you need to do, we all progress at different speeds and whilst you might feel like a 6/10 today, you might feel like 2/10 tomorrow once you hear a bass player that really blows your brains out and 8/10 the day after once you're feeling more confident with the kind of player you are. Just my opinion, not having a pop or anything.

Concentrate on something you know you're not good at. Can you read and get along with scales, arpeggios, knowing the notes on your fretboard? If not then that's something to look at, character building and IMO essential stuff you should be learning if you're describing yourself as an intermediate bass player.

I think Jerry was just trying to give us an indication skill level so we could suggest approprate songs.
Talking of Led Zep, I' ve been trying to learn I Cant Quit You off of Led Zep 1. Really struggling to wirk out what's going on in the second half of the guitar solo. Just can't seen to get the timing right.

Anyway, moving away from Led Zep, how about some Free?

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1356802177' post='1913791']
How do I find out my bass skill level?
[/quote]

I'm sure there is a page on Facebook which could tell you, all you have to do is fill out 15 surveys. (then wait for the phone to ring... and no, it won't be a call you want).

As for learning new songs, i have no idea. What you call a 6, i might call a 4, or an 8. I wouldn't call myself a 6, so i couldn't possibly try and help you progress (mainly because you are likely to be miles better than me).

you could try this its a pretty rhythmic groove with some added widdly bits and i think it might just be about 6.2 out of 10 on the technical difficulty scale mainly i guess due to needing to keep a really tight groove with the drums so not outside your grasp but just enough to give you a bit of a challenge ;)

[media]http://youtu.be/7Le-mYN3dl0[/media]

or if you prefer a nice slow 'three minutes past midnight' type of groove try this one

[url="http://youtu.be/p9QxFWnUMCI"]http://youtu.be/p9QxFWnUMCI[/url]

Edited by steve-bbb

iv thought i was an average player,then u play with bands and there bass players great,and they come over and tell ur a great player and ur like Really!! or another was a band bigged em selves up,telling me 3 chord rock was dead...yea ok....telling me their bassest,wich was a chick,was a vertuoso and clasically trained playing a 7 stringer....i stood and watched them and thought...ok love u got another 6 strings to play with.....u play to ur abilaty then that becomes ur style....i had an interveiw with an online mag thing,they asked the other two in my band what their influences were,they rattled off loads....they asked me...i said hawkwind....they asked me my bass influences....i said harvey bainbridge,alan davey and lemmy...all hawkwind bassests...so iv taught my self to play by only listening to hawkwind!!! but now i try to play to middle of the road stuff pop pap,to see how "commercial"bass lines are built i play along to anything now,u dont have to like it,its the exercise,im in a techno rock band,but im looking for a singy bird type of band so i have some thing different to play.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1356860870' post='1914299']
Just out of curiosity could you let me know how exactly this number was arrived at?
[/quote]
Rocksmith surely ;-P
I'm level 7, been playing the bass about 6 months and Rocksmith 1 week. It's a very accurate reflection on skill ;)

My view echoes some of the others.... Try a new type of music.

Some of the fast paced Motown basslines are beyond my skills, I look forward to achieving them.

Maybe try another aspect of bass playing... How is your slap bass or your double tapping for example?

I also agree that scoring yourself is a tricky thing to do..... I have a required level of competence to play in a classic rock band, however, my skills aren't good enough for a ska band or a 80s slap pop band.

Do you have lessons? Maybe get a few from a local reputable teacher that can give you ideas on how to develop further?

Edited by SpaceChick

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1356959363' post='1915574']
My view echoes some of the others.... Try a new type of music.
[/quote]

I'm going to fly in the face of popular opinion here and say that making yourself learn other types of music can end up having a negative effect on you if you don't like that particular genre.
I found learning Mowtown, reggae, ska & blues stuff to be an incredibly miserable & unrewarding experience because I really can't stand these genres. I hated it so much it put me off playing covers for life.
If it's a type of music you have no intention of ever playing then why waste your time learning how to play it?