Why become a member? ×

Non 4 string social stigma?

mbellishment

[quote name='basslondon' timestamp='1356989573' post='1916208']
heaven help us.... if ever a band were all about attitude and image it were the 'pistols........ i thought we were talking music here.
[/quote]

Perfect example of not giving a stuff about anything and being absolutely certain that your image said exactly that.

Can't help but love some of it. Wonder what bass Sid would have played if he had the choice that's here now.....? Or who would have told him that he had to change.....?

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1356990457' post='1916217']
not giving a stuff about anything
[/quote]
[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1356990457' post='1916217']
being absolutely certain that your image said exactly that.
[/quote]

No offence, and forgive me if I've misread your statement... but isn't that just a complete contradiction of itself?

You haven't misread it. It's an oxymoron and was meant that way.

The pistols achieved notoriety by playing the game long before the public knew there was a game to play and the public were duped. They made money, fame and all the stuff that came with it and musically were.......... mmmmmm I will stop here for fear of bearing the wrath of those who either loath or hate them. I have my own opinion and I am comfortable with it.

I still wouldn't have told Sid his bass had to go.

Edited by bassman344

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1356984867' post='1916158']
If you have your own insecurities I am sorry if you feel bothered by my suggestion but please dont put words in that weren't there.
[/quote]

No insecurities here, I play 4, 5 & 6's, whatever the gig needs

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1356984867' post='1916158']
If you read the post you will actually notice that I didnt say it made you better; I just asked that you dont give others grief if they choose to be different.
[/quote]

you just implied it,

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1356980970' post='1916098']
Why dont the 4 string army wise up and embrace the future. Just because you cant play a five string dont give other folk grief about it..
[/quote]

that's hardly just asking not to give grief is it? who says they can't play a 5 string?

[quote name='MrTaff' timestamp='1356993236' post='1916240']

No insecurities here, I play 4, 5 & 6's, whatever the gig needs
Im glad ur happy. Again, dont replace words please.

you just implied it,

You will read what you want from it.

that's hardly just asking not to give grief is it? who says they can't play a 5 string?
If they cant play it because they have been told not to, walk away and be comfortable.

[/quote]

Regardless of anything there will always be stigma.

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1356979784' post='1916075']
You obviously played here during the 90's. That's not the way it looks here now. It doesn't sound as you've lived in Stockholm either. Who cares anyway, music is lost to the "entertainers" a long time ago.
[/quote]

I've toured Sweden from east to west, Gothenburg to Stockholm, from 2007 till next week when I'm back over for a week or so. Funnily enough I borrowed a 5'er from a friend of mine to play Scandinavium Arena to, I should imagine you've come across this venue in your travels ;)

In short, you're talking absolute nonsense! I suspect you know it as well.

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1356948857' post='1915375']

One of you is a musician while the other is an entertainer. Simple.
Entertainers don't like the idea though so they think they are musicians...hence the confusion.

A true musician doesn't approach music from an economical or an image-fixated standpoint. A musician cares about sound and creation, not how many chicks he'll have because he looked cool or the check he may get for moving his ass behind a fender.

f*** the music industry.
[/quote]
Firstly, I do not mean to be offensive in anything I say, but I'm not going to sugar coat it. I respect your opinion, but as someone who pays the bills (as a student, so not fully professional yet) here are my two cents worth.

Talk to Janek Gwizdala about this and try and tell him that he's not a "true musician" for saying that he "wouldn't turn up to a gospel or pop gig with his signature Fodera".

Just because someone values the image part of music AS WELL as the aural side doesn't make them any less of a musician, just more aware of their target audience. I'll give a comparable example, you're playing a Jazz gig on NYE at an upmarket establishment, what do you wear? Do you wear your ripped jeans and t short because you're a classic rock guy (hypothetically of course!) or do you adapt to the gig and suit up? I know which of person would be sent home and which person would be invited back to play again (if the music is at the same high standard with both people of course!)

If you're going to take the approach "f*** the music industry", gett ready for it to f*** you, because you're going to struggle to make a penny when you're not adapted to play the game by someone else's rules.

You don't see an actor kicking off because they can't us the same accent for each part they play. The predjudice exists, so either adapt and learn what the public/your employer/your audience sees as "appropriate" to your gig, or disappear with it.

Imagine if Pino played all his stuff with John Mayer on a Fodera, all the notes would still be right, but the whole image of a 60s Blues Rock outfit would be wrong, and he would be told to play something else, or leave (Janek had a similar experience recently with a pop act telling him that he had a gig but needed a precision to play)

Like it or not (I personally don't like getting called for my markbass gear etc by the way!), you have to learn that this is how the industry works now, and has for years.

Sorry for the long rant.

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1357006693' post='1916378']

You don't see an actor kicking off because they can't us the same accent for each part they play.
[/quote]

Unless its Colin Farrell who can only do one accent.............

Seriously though, you've raised an interesting point,
What if bassist X auditioned for a gig with band Y who are highly regarded within a certain genre, say Brit Pop. After the auditioning process the band realises that bassist X is the most suitable in terms of technique and attitude and offer him the slot.

However bassist X is endorsed by company Z and is obliged contractually to play their basses. The basses company Z produce are not what would normally be used by a Brit Pop band and Band Y tell Bassist X that he must use another company's product. Obviously Bassist X would have to explain to Band Y that he cannot use another bass.

Does band Y allow bassist X to use the bass from company Z therefore employing the most suitable person for the job (musically at least) or do they move on to another bassist who is willing to play whatever is required aesthetically but is a weaker musician technically?

Getting a bit off topic;
IMO the only reason why image has such a strong influence on musical genres is because people are too willing to go along with the trends and therefore become just another indie bassist with a stingray or a punk bassist with a precision or a prog bassist with boutique 6 string or whatever cliche you may care to add.

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1357025800' post='1916438']
What if bassist X auditioned for a gig with band Y who are highly regarded within a certain genre, say Brit Pop. After the auditioning process the band realises that bassist X is the most suitable in terms of technique and attitude and offer him the slot.

However bassist X is endorsed by company Z and is obliged contractually to play their basses. The basses company Z produce are not what would normally be used by a Brit Pop band and Band Y tell Bassist X that he must use another company's product. Obviously Bassist X would have to explain to Band Y that he cannot use another bass.

Does band Y allow bassist X to use the bass from company Z therefore employing the most suitable person for the job (musically at least) or do they move on to another bassist who is willing to play whatever is required aesthetically but is a weaker musician technically?
[/quote]

Maybe if Bassist X was well enough regarded to have an exclusive endorsement and Band Y are well enough regarded to draw his/her interest, then Company Z would be happy to produce another 'Company Z Artist Series Bassist X' model with both the necessary technical aspects in place and the desirable aesthetic aspects considered?

Just for the record, in answer to the original question, I used to only play 5s (didn't own any 4s at all) and for heavy metal originals, classic rock covers, acoustic singer-songwriter stuff and a few jam nights here and there, I never got any grief (or even that many comments) because of my extra string.

Getting a bit off topic;
IMO the only reason why image has such a strong influence on musical genres is because people are too willing to go along with the trends and therefore become just another indie bassist with a stingray or a punk bassist with a precision or a prog bassist with boutique 6 string or whatever cliche you may care to add.
[/quote]

Hard to disagree with this.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1357003767' post='1916354']

I've toured Sweden from east to west, Gothenburg to Stockholm, from 2007 till next week when I'm back over for a week or so. Funnily enough I borrowed a 5'er from a friend of mine to play Scandinavium Arena to, I should imagine you've come across this venue in your travels ;)

In short, you're talking absolute nonsense! I suspect you know it as well.
[/quote]
I dont really know what you are talking about anymore? My point is that there's a disgusting fender and vintage fetish going on here and that showing up to an audition with a sixer would be a suicide unless its your own band.
I never said fivers didn't exist. Or that people already in the business never used them.

Edited by Inti

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1357006693' post='1916378']

Firstly, I do not mean to be offensive in anything I say, but I'm not going to sugar coat it. I respect your opinion, but as someone who pays the bills (as a student, so not fully professional yet) here are my two cents worth.

Talk to Janek Gwizdala about this and try and tell him that he's not a "true musician" for saying that he "wouldn't turn up to a gospel or pop gig with his signature Fodera".

Just because someone values the image part of music AS WELL as the aural side doesn't make them any less of a musician, just more aware of their target audience. I'll give a comparable example, you're playing a Jazz gig on NYE at an upmarket establishment, what do you wear? Do you wear your ripped jeans and t short because you're a classic rock guy (hypothetically of course!) or do you adapt to the gig and suit up? I know which of person would be sent home and which person would be invited back to play again (if the music is at the same high standard with both people of course!)

If you're going to take the approach "f*** the music industry", gett ready for it to f*** you, because you're going to struggle to make a penny when you're not adapted to play the game by someone else's rules.

You don't see an actor kicking off because they can't us the same accent for each part they play. The predjudice exists, so either adapt and learn what the public/your employer/your audience sees as "appropriate" to your gig, or disappear with it.

Imagine if Pino played all his stuff with John Mayer on a Fodera, all the notes would still be right, but the whole image of a 60s Blues Rock outfit would be wrong, and he would be told to play something else, or leave (Janek had a similar experience recently with a pop act telling him that he had a gig but needed a precision to play)

Like it or not (I personally don't like getting called for my markbass gear etc by the way!), you have to learn that this is how the industry works now, and has for years.

Sorry for the long rant.
[/quote]
Janek Gwizdala?....*giggles*

I played for a living more than ten years of my life so I know what Iam talking about. I left that stinky world voluntary, as a student you're getting into it now so it's hard for me to make my point clear due to the differences in experience but thanks anyway.

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1357033255' post='1916470']

I played for a living more than ten years of my life so I know what Iam talking about. I left that stinky world voluntary, as a student you're getting into it now so it's hard for me to make my point clear due to the differences in experience but thanks anyway.
[/quote]

Lets hear who you are then bigshot? *giggles*

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1357031963' post='1916463']
Hard to disagree with this.
[/quote]

Its easy to disagree with, you do the gig but with duck tape over the logo or even scratch the Fender logo off, anyone ever heard of Stuart Zender? ;)
That has been around for many years before he did it afaik, amps with the badges removed is common too.

Guys lol,

it seems this thread is getting out of "control". In the end who cares. Where has the basschat love gone?? :D... maybe first time i bump into "stfu" on a thread...

I strongly believe that sadly the image is hugely important, and also even if personnally I don't like every thing that Janek does. He surely understood modern days and I wish I could make the same kinda money lol.

I challenge any one to show up for pop gig with a 9 string bass...

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1357033255' post='1916470']

[/quote]
Yeah, please do enlighten us to the ways that you must be incredible to laugh at Janek's name.

Even if in you're opinion you're ten times the bassist he is, he still deserves your respect.

I'll refer you to the "how to behave on a Internet forum" thread in off topic for further instructions.

Or maybe your too busy being a much better bassist than all of us put together to read it?

Unless its Colin Farrell who can only do one accent.............

Getting a bit off topic;
[/quote]
Agreed with Colin, I think he tries to put on a new one, but can't... :( poor thing

Interesting point, I honestly think that I would go to the bassist with the more suitable bass, as pop music is so intertwined with fashion and image.

But as it has been said before, even if it was a company like Zon or BC Rich, you'd think that, to keep an endorsee, especially one in a pop band with lots of exposure they'd produce something for them, even a one off...

[quote name='basslondon' timestamp='1356989657' post='1916210']
Because then i would be able to sell my 5 string status knowing i could get a sound like that from a Precision. with flatwounds.
[/quote]

But then what about the people that want to get the P with flatwounds sound?

Surely in this age there's enough choice of bass that you can get what you want from looks, playability and sound.