Why become a member? ×

Non 4 string social stigma?

mbellishment

Very interesting thread till people start taking things personally.

I've played 5 string basses since 1987, had one of the first Warwick Thumb 5ers and beautiful she was, thing is that I don't play covers or in tribute acts, where I could see the need for a specific look or sound, I play originals or as session in the studio (I'm a recording engineer by trade) and I need an instrument that gives me the sound regardless of the look. I have small hands, so I'm physically limited to the basses I can play comfortably, the Thumb was perfect, but I sold it several years ago when I thought I'd finished with playing. I now play SR5 derivatives, as I have limited funds to put an effective rig together. (see the sig)

The thing is I find the basses I have deliver the sound that I want with playability and comfort, and currently that means 5 string SR5, I'd love to try a good 6er if I could find a neck my hands could cope with, and I've played the Chapman NS Stick 8 string, which was fascinating.

I'd like to comment on another aspect of "authenticity" too, which is amp/fx snobbery. I use a bass pod XT pro as my main tone generator in the rig, I've used them for years in the studio and they are great units, but very difficult to manage if you're used to bass, middle, treble tone controls. I've had many conversations with other players about modelled bass sounds, and most of them wouldn't touch a Pod even before they've actually heard one.

My guitarist uses a Variax guitar, the latest floor unit from Line 6 and their combos, the switching and shaping options are enormous, the detuning and fx options alone are massive, yet I know players who deride the technology because it isn't a Marshall or an Ampeg or whatever.

My business is audio, I'll use whatever I need to in order to get the sound for the song, don't much care what it is, I've had ampeg, GK, Trace kit personally and almost every kind of unit in the studios over the years, and I keep coming back to technology to get the sounds I need. Tools for the job I guess.

Anyway, my current rig and guitars is the most versatile, most powerful and flat out loudest rig I've ever used, it's like taking the studio into the gig and I love it.

I'm sure I wouldn't get the Sex Pistols tribute gig, but give me a few minutes and I'll sound like Sid.

Style over substance? Sure, thats a fair description of elements of the music industry. If you don't like it then don't do it, but don't slag someone off for going ahead and wearing the silly costumes and learning the dances and playing the bass that suits the look, that's entertainment.

[quote name='WinterMute' timestamp='1357049228' post='1916720']
Style over substance? Sure, thats a fair description of elements of the music industry. If you don't like it then don't do it, but don't slag someone off for going ahead and wearing the silly costumes and learning the dances and playing the bass that suits the look, that's entertainment.
[/quote]
There's absolutely no problem in wanting to be an entertainer. The irritating moment begins when the clown not only fools himself but tries to convince others of his artistic integrity.

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1357049613' post='1916729']
There's absolutely no problem in wanting to be an entertainer. The irritating moment begins when the clown not only fools himself but tries to convince others of his artistic integrity.
[/quote]
You appear to have a personal issue with this looking at this thread and your other, as if you have some bits of paper with grades on and everyone else is an imposter or something, I am sure there is more to this?

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1357049613' post='1916729']
[/quote]

Artistic integrity is a great thing for those that can afford it, or those who give a toss about it, the music industry hocked it's integrity for drugs and hookers many years ago however....!

I think there's a lot of bollocks spouted from both sides of this argument, and that the truth, as ever lies somewhere in the middle.

It's the enjoyment of the music that counts above all else, and that means satisfying your audience and yourself.

[quote name='basslondon' timestamp='1356987718' post='1916190']
I dont see anyone telling this man that playing a five string would be a problem.....
Id like to see a precision/jazz 4 with flatwounds sound that harmonically rich....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBWY8oAnnww[/media]
[/quote]...or not to use a pick because real BP's dont ;)
[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1357006693' post='1916378']
You don't see an actor kicking off because they can't us the same accent for each part they play. [/quote]
[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1357025800' post='1916438']
Unless its Colin Farrell who can only do one accent.............[/quote]I see your Colin Farrell & raise you Sean Canary, Michael Caine & Roger Moore :lol:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1357049892' post='1916734']

You appear to have a personal issue with this looking at this thread and your other, as if you have some bits of paper with grades on and everyone else is an imposter or something, I am sure there is more to this?
[/quote]
Are you shure about this or does envy and lack of humbleness come from the other side? I certainly have issues with this but it has to do with a strong sence of justice so stop talking about papers cause nobody cares except those who lack diplomas.
The main point is that putting Anthony Jackson and John entwinstle in the same bag simply isn't fair. But this society makes you believe it is... For money's sake.

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1357052671' post='1916802']

Are you shure about this or does envy and lack of humbleness come from the other side? I certainly have issues with this but it has to do with a strong sence of justice so stop talking about papers cause nobody cares except those who lack diplomas.
The main point is that putting Anthony Jackson and John entwinstle in the same bag simply isn't fair. But this society makes you believe it is... For money's sake.
[/quote]

OMG - if Bilbo is Emperor Palpatine, we've just found his Dath Vader...!

[/quote]
In fairness you know nothing about me or my skill level, trust me I am not envious of you, I dont even know who you are :lol:

[/quote]

Both are great in their own way. On the other hand, a world filled with nothing but AJ clones would be as dull as one peopled only by JE copies.

I think the money argument is spurious. It's more (to me, at least) about enjoyment. I would guess that Entwistle's music has brought more enjoyment to more people than Jackson's has (as a bass player, anyway).

Music is not like sport, when performances and "talent" can be objectively measured with times, distances, scores or other statistics. Anyone who says that Usain Bolt is NOT the fastest man in track and field athletics can be quickly proven to be incorrect. Say that Mark King/Flea/Les Claypool/Lemmy/JJBurnel/Geddy Lee... is NOT the best bass player and proof becomes more subjective and harder to come by. Still, it leads to some interesting discussions!

Variety, spice and all that. There is room for both.

Edited by Conan

If JE has brought more enjoyment to this world it's due to the overwhelming ignorance that dominates us and nothing else. If you think that ignorance is bliss well then I get the point. To me ignorance is the bastard responsible for the horrors in this world. No idea in defending mediocrity to me, can't see the point in it.

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1357056329' post='1916863']
If JE has brought more enjoyment to this world it's due to the overwhelming ignorance that dominates us and nothing else. If you think that ignorance is bliss well then I get the point.[/quote]

OK. Whatever. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but your position clearly isn't bringing you much bliss. :(

I think I'll try ignoring you. :)

Ah.... bliss! :D

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1357056510' post='1916868']
Seriously, man. He's. wind-up. Ignore him.
[/quote]
And who are you to try to censure another point of view? You defend mediocrity in music just because you belong to that gang. There's no way around it, try to get better instead of blaming other people's opinions. Grow up.

Edited by Inti

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1357056802' post='1916874']

OK. Whatever. Maybe ignorance is bliss, but your position clearly isn't bringing you much bliss. :(

I think I'll try ignoring you. :)

Ah.... bliss! :D
[/quote]
And what do you know about my bliss?... Don't be ridiculous!

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1357056979' post='1916880']

And who are you to try to censure another point of view? You defend mediocrity in music just because you belong to that gang. There's no way around it, try to get better instead of blaming other people's opinions. Grow up.
[/quote]

I don't need to get better. I'm awesome.

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1357057130' post='1916885']
And what do you know about my bliss?... Don't be ridiculous!
[/quote]

Well, judging from your comments on here, you don't sound like a very "blissful" person. Or maybe you just hate us all? Either way, you don't come across as being very happy in our company.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1357057972' post='1916907']

Well, judging from your comments on here, you don't sound like a very "blissful" person. Or maybe you just hate us all? Either way, you don't come across as being very happy in our company.
[/quote]
....and since when are you representing this whole community? As said before, the lack of humbleness comes from the other side. Anyway I don't have the time to argue with ignorant, mediocre and arrogant people. Thanks and bye.

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1357058233' post='1916917']
Anyway I don't have the time to argue with ignorant, mediocre and arrogant people.
[/quote]

Sadly, I do. Still - bye. Missing you already! :dash1:

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1357058682' post='1916932']
Can we cut out the internet hardman vibe and get back on topic please.
[/quote]

I wasn't aware of any "hardman" vibe, but yes - this thread has got well out of hand. It's one of the side-effects of being arrogant, mediocre and ignorant I believe.... Sorry :blush: