Why become a member? ×

Splitting a combo into a head and cab : bad back/weight issues again!!

The Admiral

I posted this earlier today in the 'Pinned' DIY thread, but on reflection, I think it may be better here (mods - please remove from the other thread if desired) :

I wondered if anyone had any experience of the Ashdown five fifteen, and specificallly seperating the combo into a head and stand alone cab? I ask, as its a great amp and suits my needs, but my increasingly trashed back (old Rugby injury, which plays up particularly badly in the winter) is making the shifting of 27kg in one awkward shaped, single handled hit a bit of a challenge. I'm keeen to split it into a head and cab - building a 'sleeve' for the former and a new cab for the latter - suited to the current 15 inch driver. In addition, I 'm wondering about building a seperate 2 x 10, which I can use as an alternative, or, if I can work out the wiring/impedance conundrum, could I run it in addition to the 1x15?

I've had a look at the Harley Benton 2 x 10, which would almost be cheaper than buildng my own, but, depite some good reviews for it (taking into account that for just over £100 it's not going to be an Ampeg), I would like to dip my toes in the cab construction side, as I'm pretty handy and it would make a nice winter project.

All thoughts gratefully received - including the 'why bother' thought process, when I may just be best keeping the five fifteen 'as is' in my office practice space and buying something S/H on BC which is more portable and purpose built as a lightweight outfit for rehearsals and gigs. That's probably far too sensible though, and why just spend money when you can give yourself more work for the same price!

You risk having 2 heavy items to cart about!

I suggest you first remove the amp from the cab and take a look at the locations of the fixing points in the chassis. You will need to keep hold of the fixing bolts and use these to secure the new sleeve. You can keep the weight down if you make the sleeve from thin ply. If the chassis will rack-mount, it might be best to use an ABS 2U or 3U flight case.

Also, where will the mains inlet go? I have looked at some pics of the Five Fifteen online, but couldn't tell. It might help me and other armchair advisers if you post some pics of the semi-deconstructed amp!

Fair point re the layout. The amp section is mounted vertically at the back of the combo, behind the speaker enclosure. The mains kettle lead and on/off switch are half way down the back - on a plate set into the back face of the amp, so in effect, one might have the mains lead and switch on the 'top' of the head when it's removed and used 'flat'. There is a pdf of the manual on the Ashdown site, but I can't find any pictures which show the layout sadly, although interesting to note that whilst this is advertised as a 100w combo, it's actually only 65w, with I presume the 100w kicking in if one uses an alternative cab? Curious?!

Pics required to make sense of this for readers I think, but as has been pointed out - no point doing it if I don't save some weight, altough I'd settle for the same load overall, but in two sections for an easier carry.

The HB 2 x 10 is I notice over 22kg on it's own, so maybe that's not the way to go! I'll put up some pics when I am back at home tonight.

Don`t know if this will be any use to you but here goes. A few years ago I stayed on the 3rd floor of a tenament flat and bought a Ashdown Mag 300. At round about 30kg`s in weight it didn`t take me too long to remove the head, build an MDF sleeve for it and I fitted an additional speaker output onto the headless cab. I still use this head along with a TC 2x10.

Your idea is a good one if, as you state above, it`s possible to separate the components. You mention the HB 2x10 cab but the Hartke 2x10 is 16kg and is cheaper on Thoman. I cannot say how good these cabs are as I have never owned any of their gear but it`s worth a look

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=2x10_bass_cabinets&oa=pra"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=2x10_bass_cabinets&oa=pra[/url]

Sell the combo and do the job properly.

Get a small powerful, lightweight separate cab and amp. For a 112 you’re looking at 30-35lbs for a 210, 40-50lbs. A Barefaced Compact sounds great and weighs 26lbs! A good amp can weigh less than 6 lbs.

I’d get 2 112 cabs.

And a trolley.

Edited by chris_b

MB1.
Seasons Greetings!
Splitting Combos is usually a practice carried out on bigger Combos.
The 5.15 is a usable little combo but its always been an awkward carry
due to the handle positioning and cabinet size.One came up for sale on here just recently with trolley wheels which would make things
easier for you perhaps you could also fit side handles to it too!. I can't really see the point of splitting the 5.15 up to be honest.
not when there's alternatives?Roland perhaps? Line 6? Ibanez?Markbass?
The Ashdown will have little or no resale value should you decide to do so!

Just a thought!.

I agree with the above few posts. Sell it & get something lighter.
Have a look at the Ibanez Promethian (or the Harley Benton version) if you have a limited budget. Or you could look in the 2nd hand section on here. There was a MarkBass LM2 for @ £275 & build your own cab (maybe a BFM).

IIRC the power connector on these is on the back, while the "head" is mounted vertically with the controls on top. In which case, should you remove it and mount it in a home made sleeve, you'd have the controls on the front and the power connector on top! Workable, I guess, but odd.

And once you start chopping it about, it's essentially worth four fifths of bugger all.

I'd keep it as is, or sell it and put the money towards something more suitable.

As a fellow 5-15 user That's an intriguing idea, but I won't be doing it anytime soon, as mine is not gigged. I don't think you can overcome the sheer awkwardness of the box shape other than by putting it on one of those fold-up aluminium trolleys. That's what i did. Over a few stairs and a roughish road surface it's not bad for the odd occasion, but up and down a long flight of stairs it's no regular
solution. However, if you remove the amp you have a usable flat surface on which to mount the 2x10.

Oh, two other things: line the interior walls of the 5-15 with absorbent speaker foam and use the mains socket slot-apeture on the cabinet to fit a jack-plug socket. Minimal exterior damage.

Balcro