Why become a member? ×

Who inspired you to learn bass ?

The Hat

I inspired myself to learn bass, when I was just a guitarist I was writing and recording lots of music on my Portastudio and had to learn bass to get my sh*t down. Borrowed my mates, then bought a Squier Silver Series Jazz. The players who I listened to for direction were Geddy Lee, erm, yeah, just Geddy lee :)

Entwistle - specifically the clip of My Generation live at the Marquee.. I was only about 7 when I saw it and didn't actually start playing for another 7 years but that was the point when I knew I wanted to play bass. Cue much (unsuccessful) begging of my Dad to buy me one of those £80 basses they used to advertise in Kerrang in the 80s... :lol:

Came in waves I guess. Mates' older brothers records - Jack Bruce and John Entwhistle; blimey that's a cool name and they've got 3 guitarists! - Joe Bouchard (Blue Oyster Cult); "punk" - Paul Simonen, Bruce Foxton and Norman W-R; and an undercurrent of pop/soul - James Jameson, Macca. I know, don't know when to stop... :rolleyes:

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1355425202' post='1898363']
You know you are getting old when people are talking about their [i][b]parents[/b] [/i]Iron Maiden records . I remember when Maiden records were what you played to [i]annoy [/i]your parents .
[/quote]

:D We've got an apprentice at work who went with us to his first Motorhead gig in November, i've got Motorhead ticket stubs older than him :swoon: (Dec 1980 being my first M'head gig)...he was heard afterwards saying 'FFS all you old dudes are mad as hatters!!' Why thank you sonny :hi:

As for influences Phil Lynott, JJ Burnel, Lemmy, The Ox, Geddy Lee and Floyd Pepper from The Electric Mayhem

Edited by DrDrill

First up was James Jamerson. I was inspired by such melodic lines. Through the years I'd say Chuck Rainey, Carol Kaye, Jaco, Pino Palladino, Mark King, Chris Squire, Tina Weymouth,David Dyson to name a few. Victor Wooten is also in there for the simple reason that he continually pushes the envelope of what you can do with some imagination.

I only ever wanted to play Bass....just liked the sound/feel of it.....I bought a guitar from a catalogue and took the two thin strings off :lol:

I loved Budgie and remember the Eureka moment when I copied Burke's line to baby please don't go....Finally I managed to play a song.
So it's Burke Shelly for me ...

Edited by Raymondo

Paul Gray / Eddie and the Hot Rods
Bruce Thomas / Elvis Costello and the Attractions
William Mysterious / The Rezillos

I actually met Paul Gray a couple of weeks ago and made a prat of myself explaining his influence on my life etc.etc.
I was so excited that a mate had to lead me away for a nice cup of tea and a Kitkat...

I always loved the bass sound of Iron Maiden and Metallica. However, it was hearing the Love album by the Cult that inspired me to pick up a bass. Jamie Stewart an unsung hero of 80's bass playing. Once, I started then I expanded my playing to Metallicas Ride the Lightning/Master of Puppets and Anthrax, Among the Living. Today the influences are pretty much the same, but I've diversified since I picked up the bass again 2 years ago, to include - John Taylor, Geezer Butler and Alex Webster.