Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Amp / Cab Shootout! - Spur-of-the-moment Geordie Bass Bash!

wateroftyne

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='198692' date='May 14 2008, 01:10 PM']I know where what you're saying here Alex (mid humps et al) but it was 'noticeably' different from both the 5.3 ohm Epi and the 5.3 ohm Tech and at various levels with a variety of amps! I would concede that the natural tone of the cab might account for some of the perceived volume increase (and nobody was more surprised than I) but it wasn't a subtle difference :)[/quote]

I realise that but the difference between 4 ohms and 5.3 ohms is tiny in terms of dB output. Furthermore the ohm figure is just a nominal one which is very different to the reality.

How many ohms is that speaker? That is a typical ported cab plot btw.

The small Schroeders don't just have a mid hump - almost their whole bandwidth output is boosted by virtue of having very little bottom - make the cab smaller and tune the cab high and this is the result. This is the same reason an OmniTop 12 is louder than an Omni 10.

Alex

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='199129' date='May 14 2008, 10:29 PM']I'd love to know what accounted for the difference. The contrast with the other cabs was immediately apparent, and striking, like the volume had been given a good crank...[/quote]

Sensitivity is what made the difference. 4 ohms vs 5.3 ohms is less than a 1dB difference, nothing like a striking difference, in fact barely audible.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='199276' date='May 15 2008, 08:26 AM']Sensitivity is what made the difference. 4 ohms vs 5.3 ohms is less than a 1dB difference, nothing like a striking difference, in fact barely audible.

Alex[/quote]

Ta for that.

Is the sensititivity something that comes from the spec of the drivers, or is it the construction of the cab?

[quote name='alexclaber' post='199276' date='May 15 2008, 08:26 AM']Sensitivity is what made the difference. 4 ohms vs 5.3 ohms is less than a 1dB difference, nothing like a striking difference, in fact barely audible.

Alex[/quote]

This does genuinely interest me Alex and I know that you have as much knowledge as any one in this respect (and more than most) so I'd genuinely like to know is this difference in 'perceived' volume (heard by all three of us) dependent upon the output? That sounds like daft question but what I'm getting at is that at a low/moderate volume the Schroeder was very much louder than either the Tech or the Epi 310, however if the wick is turned up and the same test done again the volume differential is diminished. Is this simply because our ears and able to differentiate at higher volumes or is it that the other cabs designs are coming into their own.

For referrence the Tech 610 cab is 5.3 ohms and 105db, the Schroeder is 4 ohms and 104db and the Epi 5.3 ohms and 103db... the ohmage should counter the sensitivity in each I would have thought

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='199584' date='May 15 2008, 01:57 PM']This does genuinely interest me Alex and I know that you have as much knowledge as any one in this respect (and more than most) so I'd genuinely like to know is this difference in 'perceived' volume (heard by all three of us) dependent upon the output? That sounds like daft question but what I'm getting at is that at a low/moderate volume the Schroeder was very much louder than either the Tech or the Epi 310[/quote]

Your ears are less sensitive to low frequencies at low SPL, so when playing quietly the more midrangey the cab, the louder it will sound.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='199584' date='May 15 2008, 01:57 PM']However if the wick is turned up and the same test done again the volume differential is diminished. Is this simply because our ears and able to differentiate at higher volumes or is it that the other cabs designs are coming into their own.[/quote]

When you turn up you can hear the lows that the other cabs are producing better and thus they seem less quiet. Also as you turn up the speakers start to run into compression on low notes due to over-excursion.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='199584' date='May 15 2008, 01:57 PM']For referrence the Tech 610 cab is 5.3 ohms and 105db, the Schroeder is 4 ohms and 104db and the Epi 5.3 ohms and 103db... the ohmage should counter the sensitivity in each I would have thought[/quote]

Those sensitivity specs that are quoted are the usual useless bs.

The first step to understanding what's going on with speaker cabs is to stop believing what most of the manufacturers are telling you.

Alex

[quote name='voxpop' post='198886' date='May 14 2008, 05:00 PM']Hi Guys, did anyone try or like the Glock head, I have the Heart rock and wondered what you thought of the Art.

It was on my short list of gear to try but couldn't find one in the UK.

Thanks.[/quote]

I believe UK basschat member 'guiguite' may have one of these for sale?

[quote name='jamesf' post='198592' date='May 14 2008, 11:16 AM']i love the sound of EBS gear, but the cabs are just too heavy.[/quote]

I don't understand this comment. My EBS 2x12 Neo is about 24 Kg, which is less than half the weight of the 4x10 it replaced.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='199276' date='May 15 2008, 08:26 AM']4 ohms vs 5.3 ohms is less than a 1dB difference, nothing like a striking difference, in fact barely audible.[/quote]
1dB would equate to approximately 67% increase or usage of your total remaining power as a 3dB raise is an actual doubling of amplitude, granted the average humans ear can only detect an approximate perceived increase of 23% but stlll is not a small amount.
Cheers
Dave