Why become a member? ×

Slade at the BBC - Heads up

daz

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1355168031' post='1894979']
I love SOS but it is a bit heavily intrusive in the crowd noise stakes. Still - it has Rock and Roll Preacher on it and I remionds me of seeing that tour at Sheffield Lyceum. We had a mate with us , name of 'Blind' Bobby (the clue's in the name'. When they launched into R and R P the daft sod stood up and jumped forward - not realising that our seats were in the front row of the balcony. We had to reel him back in.

I do think 'til def' was a terrific album. '2nd coming' Slade at their best.
[/quote]

I like Til Deaf because it has H's first chance to show at least some ability with M'Hat, M'Coat, the live intro of which was nicked for their live version of My Oh My a year later, which of course was almost their second Xmas No.1 ten years after MXE, but was held off by the Flying bloody Picketts.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-yZ7IE0t_o[/media]

Till Deaf also sounded like they were having a lot of fun again after a few years of struggling.

At one of their Uni gigs, Leeds or Leicester it was, can't remember which, the balcony crowd surged and knocked one of the crew over the edge still clutching a 6 foot long follow-on spot. The only thing stopping him crashing into the seats below was the 13 amp plug still in the wall. He had to climb back up the lamp then the flex as the band played on.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1355171162' post='1895029']
One eyed jacks with moustaches from Alive is one of my all time favourite tunes. They are one of the all time best British bands of any era.

End of.
[/quote]

That was on Slave Alive Vol 2 , I believe.

[i]information that is not posted to be pedantic but because I can't bare to see this Slade thread drop off the front page just yet !!!!!!!!!!![/i]

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1355228274' post='1895557']

[i]information that is not posted to be pedantic but because I can't bare to see this Slade thread drop off the front page just yet !!!!!!!!!!![/i]
[/quote]

It was indeed. Playing it even as I type, much of it was taken from their '75 Flame tour which was going to be released but wasn't, their '77 return home tour & the odd track from '76 in the USA.
if anyone's got a spare tenner to indulge on an Xmas pressy for themselves they could do far worse than the "Slade Alive" repackage which is still out there in HMV. It's every official live track by Slade that's ever been released, including a good portion from Reading 1980.
S.A.Vol II especially has been well remixed by Tim Turan (???) after Jimmy Lea did a bit of a "I can do better than that" (and failed) job on the original CD release of it.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1355228274' post='1895557']

[/quote]

Yep good Doctor, your diagnosis is correct. It is on Slade Alive vol 2. The version I have on disc is called Slade Alive on the Salvo label (cat no: salvo dcd 201 if anyone is intrested) and has the 2 albums packaged together.

Don`t mess about, just buy it!

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1355244816' post='1895877']
Yep good Doctor, your diagnosis is correct. It is on Slade Alive vol 2. The version I have on disc is called Slade Alive on the Salvo label (cat no: salvo dcd 201 if anyone is intrested)[/quote]

It's confusing because they put "Slade Alive" & "Slade Alive Vol II" on the same CD, with the tracks numbered consecutively. The second CD has "Slade On Stage" and the Reading tracks on it.
The original album has also been re-released on heavy-weight vinyl - I didn't get it, I've already got enough versions of that album now.

In my teens it was my fave album of all time. This door stayed as it was until I was in my late 30's, my Dad tried to take the panel off to send to me & it shattered in front of him, Mum says he cried when he saw what he'd done.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1355248886' post='1895941']
It's confusing because they put "Slade Alive" & "Slade Alive Vol II" on the same CD, with the tracks numbered consecutively. The second CD has "Slade On Stage" and the Reading tracks on it.
The original album has also been re-released on heavy-weight vinyl - I didn't get it, I've already got enough versions of that album now.

In my teens it was my fave album of all time. This door stayed as it was until I was in my late 30's, my Dad tried to take the panel off to send to me & it shattered in front of him, Mum says he cried when he saw what he'd done.

[/quote]

Mine was an almost life size poster of Nod complete with black tele - and to the side of the door was a black tele copy with an 'I've been Slayed' sticker on it. My Dad was out of work when he bought it for me - God knows what he went without to make that happen. I'm glad he lived a long life and knew that his hunch that my interest was more than a teen craze was correct and that his sacrifice bought me a lifetime's pleasure.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1355251806' post='1895999']
Mine was an almost life size poster of Nod complete with black tele - and to the side of the door was a black tele copy with an 'I've been Slayed' sticker on it.[/quote]

I had that poster I think, if he was wearing round yellow specs in it? I've been seriously considering having some of those copied; a short run would sell OK among the few fans left. I'd try a mock-up on this for size.......

The Slade crowd owe a huge debt to one Dave Graham who worked for years at great personal expense to have old film retrieved, redubbed & cleaned up in some cases. This was one film (in 4 parts) which he worked hard on............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G3zkzouW8E&list=UU4tDjme0mqR9xB3XwDL6odg&index=138

If you like this his uploaded YT vids are well worth spending time on. Any live Slade footage worth watching will be here, in varying qualities.
Rarest audio I got off him was 6 tracks from Heligoland & Holland from their skinhead pre-hits days.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1355258652' post='1896141']
I had that poster I think, if he was wearing round yellow specs in it? I've been seriously considering having some of those copied; a short run would sell OK among the few fans left. I'd try a mock-up on this for size.......

[/quote]

Yes - the specs. Even reading that put a lump in my throat.

update - google images reveals this. It isn't quite how I remember it , I've a feeling this might be a shot taken at the same time . mine was more sepia toned and def. not from sounds.
[url="http://www.beatchapter.com/noddy-holder-of-slade-large-vintage-poster-size-60x42cm-1972-6721-p.asp"]http://www.beatchapter.com/noddy-holder-of-slade-large-vintage-poster-size-60x42cm-1972-6721-p.asp[/url]

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='vmaxblues' timestamp='1355305497' post='1896525']
I saw both Slade (sans Noddy) and Sweet in Cheltenham recently......all great fun!
[/quote]

Is that Sweet with Andy Scott and a yank singer ? If so , that was the last support slot I did - down the bill to them and Slade at a glam festival. All great blokes , doing their gig.

The PA for the event was hired in according to specs supplied by Slade's management.

I've played in loud bands all my life and been involved in my fair share of big gigs with big PA's along the way. The monitor system for this was just frightening. I spent half the gig not just in front of the wedges at my feet - but right at stage front to escape the fearful side fills. I could feel them physically moving me sideays. I was so far leaning over the stage lip I could hear the main PA. The rest of the time I was just reeling from the 4 monsterous 15" wedges around my mic when I was singing. Really , really painful !!!

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1355149369' post='1894607']
Hugely underrated band and a very underrated vocalist Mr Holder is too. I had tickets to see them at Hammersmith Odeon in 1985 or so but they sadly cancelled at the last minute and then Noddy left.

Next I just need people to remember how bloody good Status Quo were before Rocking all over the World screwed everything up and I will be trendy and cool once more....
[/quote]
check out http://basschat.co.uk/topic/193918-who-loves-the-quo-then/
completely agree about rocking all over the world it all went wrong with that album, back on form with Quid Pro Quo though

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1355307073' post='1896566']
Is that Sweet with Andy Scott and a yank singer ? If so , that was the last support slot I did - down the bill to them and Slade at a glam festival. All great blokes , doing their gig.
[/quote]

Andy's Sweet' singer is Pete Lincoln, he's not a yank, Geordie I think but he doesn't sound like it; before him it was Tony O'Hora who is now on keys & 2nd guitar & before him it was Mal McNulty who is now on vox with Slade. They should get revolving doors in them nostalgia bands these days!
I've been going to Sweet gigs for about 8 years + & this is the best line-up I've heard. Steve Priest, the original bassist has his own Sweet in the USA but it seems to be more of a heavy rock band doing Sweet covers with some bloke on bass wearing a cape - I don't rate them.

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1355149369' post='1894607']
Hugely underrated band and a very underrated vocalist Mr Holder is too. I had tickets to see them at Hammersmith Odeon in 1985 or so but they sadly cancelled at the last minute and then Noddy left.[/quote]

I was in my last year at art college then & had managed to convince the promoters & management that I could do the job of doing their tour literature. I was gutted when it was cancelled, though Nod now insists he never sanctioned that tour (which I find puzzling since I spoke with him about it at the time) Edinburgh & Glasgow were almost sold out three months in advance - it could well have been their most successful tour for years.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1355421464' post='1898292']
It's dropped onto page 2 !!! Noooooooooo , I won't have that !!

Cosmo wants to -- I plan to and have done in the past - anybody else actually playing Slade stuff at the mo ??
[/quote]

In looking for a certain something to add to the freebie thread I did find my sheet-music to MXE :rolleyes: ............. but it wasn't that.

We have cum on feel the noize and mama weer orl crazee now in our rep, plus born to be wild, but with not QUITE so much mayhem as the Slade version, we also toyed with hear me calling for a while too.....must get that on the list again. Ooh and we did far far away as a special request once

me 'n rhythym guitarist massive Slade fans!!