Why become a member? ×

Rehearsals Cancelled Again!

Hobbayne

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1355095030' post='1894075']
I hate rehearsals, am I alone in this? is it really just me?
[/quote]

No it's not just you.
It really depends on the situation...I'm not going to rehearse once or twice a week for
one or two gigs every couple of months,but I'll do a few days or whatever if the result
is solid gigging for months.

I'm with you there Hobbayne. We lost our rehearsal last week due to the singers health. Haven't got another till into the new year so I was looking forward to it.
As to enjoying rehearsals, for me it depends on how constructive they are. If you are running through new material that everybody has prepared for at home, then it's really enjoyable. However, if one or more people haven't bothered to learn the stuff, then it becomes painful. Also, just running through a well known set list can be quite uninspiring too. So, for me, it depends hugely what the point of the rehearsal is, and if my bandmates have actually prepared for it.

Interesting range of views about rehearsals. I wonder if it depends on whether music is a hobby or a job. We've had similarly polarised discussions about playing for free so my guess is that those against playing for free are more likely to dislike rehearsals.

But for those of us who enjoy making music just for the sheer pleasure of it, I suspect rehearsals are almost as enjoyable as gigs. They certainly are in my case.

With my current band rehearsals are great fun and productive, so I really look forward to them. No ego issues, not even from the guitarist, who is one of the best guitarists I've heard live, let alone played with (ex pro).

We're all busy trying to earn livings etc., and trying to[b][i] arrange[/i][/b] the practices is a nightmare, but once we're there they are great.

However, I have been in bands where practices have been tense and unproductive, and with personality clashes, which, to me, signals that it's time to move on.