Why become a member? ×

Which bass shall I put some flats on?

Mornats

I'm going to get myself a nice shiny set of flatwound (well, actually GHS Groundwound) strings and I'm just wondering which of my basses I'm going to pop them onto. Choices are my Overwater Contemporary Jazz or my Bass Collection SB320 fretless. I've got roundwounds on my Overwater and nylon wounds on my fretless at the moment.

In terms of what I get out of my basses currently, here's a roundup:

[b]Overwater:[/b]
My main recording bass and go-to instrument. Very versatile range of sounds currently but I want it to be different in more ways to my Corvette. I'd lean towards clean/jazzy/funk sounds on this one.

[b]Warwick Rockbass Corvette:[/b]
My rock band bass. Nice hard growly Warwick sounds, brilliant for playing in my band with. Nice and light too! Not a contender for the flats but covers the roundwound hole nicely. Very nicely.

[b]Bass Collection SB320 fretless:[/b]
The one I keep trying to sell but then want to keep every time I show it to someone. Lovely low-end thump, it's a bit special but lacks muaaaarh at the moment. I loved the sound of APAs fretless that had groundwounds on which I played at the South West bass bash. I wouldn't mind some of that but would miss the thumpy-fun nylon wound sound of my fretless.

So there you go. It's obviously late and I'm bored and restless hehe.

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1354326496' post='1884978']
You'll get less with flats.
[/quote]

This is a common misconception with flats, but so much of it depends on the string.

Sure, some flats are all thump and no sustain, but La Bella and Lakland (made by GHS I believe) flats have mwah for days on a fretless, and plenty of sustain on a fretted too.

This is where you're all going wrong :P - GHS Brite flats are NOT Flats. They are ground wound so they still have a bit of a growl of rounds but have the smooth and thumpyness of flats. To my mind they are perfect for fretless. But then I would say that wouldnt I :D So if you want to keep that low end thump and have more mwah the GHS's tick all the boxes on your fretless. And I see your dilema - 4 in line and 2+2 = Theres no going back!! :unsure:

A

Edited by apa