Why become a member? ×

Please help out bass legend Joe Osborn!

TomRichards

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1354805128' post='1890624']
100% agreement Nige, especially about the X-Factor observation. Hoisted by his own petard there I think :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Did you hear the kid's music? It's ok, but certainly nothing special, and he's certainly not a prodigy or wunderkind like it says on his bio on CD Baby. There are 10 year old kids playing classical piano concertos with full orchestra to a high level of proficiency and expression out there, so a bit of rock n roll from a 14 year old guitar player with a young and immature voice and lyrics doesn't blow my head off.

None of this is the kid's fault, he could be great one day, just like a lot of us could, but he has the privilege Tom, Joe and others on his side getting his career started too early before he has built up a credible body of work. As it is, it's a 14 year old lad singing and playing guitar reasonably well for his age. I'm not sure Tom and Joe making a novelty out of it is really very helpful.

Also (and this is what I find galling after Tom's pleas for votes to give the poor talented kid a career leg up) it sounds like he hardly had a problem being heard before this Louisiana contest ..

[size=3][i]"[b]Album Notes[/b]

The terms “prodigy” and “wunderkind” are tossed around today much like the term “superstar.” But every so often, a musician comes along that justifies the use of these titles and more. Matthew Davidson is just such a talent. Davidson got his first taste of guitar at the tender age of three, when he received a toy guitar for Christmas. He's never looked back. [b]In 2007, he won his first electric guitar from the legendary James Burton at his Foundation’s Guitar Showdown. Since then, he’s won numerous accolades, including being named the recipient of the 2011 Robert Johnson Blues Foundation New Generation Award. He’s played everywhere from The Dallas House of Blues and The New Orleans Jazz Fest to B.B. King’s Blues Club in Memphis and The Strand Theatre in his hometown of Shreveport, LA.[/b]

Recognizing raw talent, legendary bassist and member of L.A.'s famed Wrecking Crew, Joe Osborn took Matthew under his wing, mentoring him from "promising newcomer" to "breakout talent." The EP disc you hold in your hands is the result of that musical collaboration.

With musical influences as diverse as The Beatles, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Maroon 5 and John Mayer, Davidson is a triple-threat: guitarist, vocalist and songwriter, performing rock, blues and pop with equal command. Davidson’s career trajectory is trending upward. Now sit back and tune in, as Matthew Davidson steps up. "[/i][/size]

I would suggest Tom Richards should be following up this thread by asking us to have a listen to this kid's ep and buying it if we like it. Just like the rest of us have to do.

Here's the CD preview .. [url="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/matthewdavidson"]http://www.cdbaby.co...matthewdavidson[/url]

This is the prize he won, a video by Louisiana Tourism, looks like a great place to be ..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHLN43-HtOk[/media]

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1354805687' post='1890633']
Not like you to be so slow at responding Nige where a diatribe is due? ;)

As for the OP I found it a perfect example of why so much modern media is bollox, not least that to even enter a vote - notwithstanding all of Nige's post above - you have to "like" Louisiana Travel -[i] if I may borrow your "WT actual F" for a second please Nige? [/i]

A classic example of why I was so glad that this forum had the good taste to reject the trialled "like" system on here.

........... and for that reason ...... I'm out![i] ...... damn, damn, wrong over exposed, good idea at the start but spoilt by the mainstream TV show.[/i]
[/quote]

:D

I'm too busy to post 22 rants a day like I used to mate ;) :D

Although I can understand some of the views raised in this thread (leaving aside the imported crap talent show bit where the OP has obviously forgotten that for someone to "export" something, someone has to equally "import it so the USA did actually want it in the first place) It's easy to overlook that the OP's intentions were well meant if a tad misguided. probably something that most of us have been guilty of at some point.

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1354813243' post='1890776']
Although I can understand some of the views raised in this thread (leaving aside the imported crap talent show bit where the OP has obviously forgotten that for someone to "export" something, someone has to equally "import it so the USA did actually want it in the first place) It's easy to overlook that the OP's intentions were well meant if a tad misguided. probably something that most of us have been guilty of at some point.
[/quote]
Fair comment mate, but well meant according to whose principles?

If you look at Tom's quote below, he said this contest was no different to the 'rubbish' that is the X Factor and Pop Idol, which I disagree with because all the contestants are heard before the voting in those programmes, so it actually has more integrity than Tom's contest, ostensibly anyway. However the last sentence does it for me.

And as I pointed out earlier, this kid's had loads of exposure already and collected many accolades and played 'everywhere'. So either Tom decided to leave that bit out, or the kid's bio is full of bullshit.

I'm sorry but it pissed me off because it seems unfair, manipulative, and because he made a personal and highly ignorant dig at the UK, the place he expected to get help from! I know many of the colonists think we're a bunch of abortion-loving, squirrel-eating, godless commies, but criticising the X Factor really takes the biscuit, old egg :D

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1354487774' post='1886662']
This is a very local contest and the kid is very young and doesn't have the exposure a few in the contest do. [b]Because it is a Social media based contest, it's no different then those two pieces of rubbish[/b], X Factor and UK Idol, that you exported here. [b]Talent is required, but its really about the votes and who you can get to vote.[/b]
[/quote]

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354816228' post='1890828']
Fair comment mate, but well meant according to whose principles?

If you look at Tom's quote below, he said this contest was no different to the 'rubbish' that is the X Factor and Pop Idol, which I disagree with because all the contestants are heard before the voting in those programmes, so it actually has more integrity than Tom's contest, ostensibly anyway. However the last sentence does it for me.

And as I pointed out earlier, this kid's had loads of exposure already and collected many accolades and played 'everywhere'. So either Tom decided to leave that bit out, or the kid's bio is full of bullshit.

I'm sorry but it pissed me off because it seems unfair, manipulative, and because he made a personal and highly ignorant dig at the UK, the place he expected to get help from! I know many of the colonists think we're a bunch of abortion-loving, squirrel-eating, godless commies, but criticising the X Factor really takes the biscuit, old egg :D
[/quote]

And yours if fair comment too but I guess for me the issue lay in whether he may have been asked to do this as a favour or took it upon himself to offer his help which we're not likely to find out anyway. Of course, if it's the latter then he should've been a little more informed and diplomatic in the approach. However, there have been many a time when I've been asked to help someone out, not thought it through and it's all gone wrong. I guess I just tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

As an aside, I saw the video and couldn't believe he'd more than ruined a classic Eric & Ernie number so he wouldn't have got my vote anyway. ;)

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1354818992' post='1890883']
And yours if fair comment too but I guess for me the issue lay in whether he may have been asked to do this as a favour or took it upon himself to offer his help which we're not likely to find out anyway. Of course, if it's the latter then he should've been a little more informed and diplomatic in the approach. However, there have been many a time when I've been asked to help someone out, not thought it through and it's all gone wrong. I guess I just tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

As an aside, I saw the video and couldn't believe he'd more than ruined a classic Eric & Ernie number so he wouldn't have got my vote anyway. ;)
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1354818992' post='1890883']As an aside, I saw the video and couldn't believe he'd more than ruined a classic Eric & Ernie number so he wouldn't have got my vote anyway. ;)[/quote]

Hot dog! It's the Soggy Bottom Boys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qerg0LyLi6c

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1354820370' post='1890906']
I cant see why people are getting so animated. The OP asked people to vote for the young man (no gun to the head ). You think it's a good idea......vote. You dont .....ignore.

Where's the problem ?
[/quote]

Ok, so you don't understand, cool. No problem :)

I don't care how good kids are at playing, that's only one part of the whole picture. I'm more interested in understanding, what you may call Soul. I just can't imagine a Child would have anything to say that would speak to me. Bring this Sprog before me when he has walked in the Desert for a while and I might survey his work.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1354826542' post='1891046']
I don't care how good kids are at playing, that's only one part of the whole picture. I'm more interested in understanding, what you may call Soul. I just can't imagine a Child would have anything to say that would speak to me. Bring this Sprog before me when he has walked in the Desert for a while and I might survey his work.
[/quote]

I think this is a bit unfair. Living through life's experiences is what gives you something to say. At the moment those youngsters are developing the skills required, so that when they have lived life a little more, and have found something to say, they will be able to convey it in their own personal style.

Give them a chance.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1354827597' post='1891061']
I think this is a bit unfair. Living through life's experiences is what gives you something to say. At the moment those youngsters are developing the skills required, so that when they have lived life a little more, and have found something to say, they will be able to convey it in their own personal style.

Give them a chance.
[/quote]

Well, life is unfair. But what I'm really wondering why this side-show carny feels it's necessary to blow his trumpet. If this lad has got it, we'll all know in time, but it won't be through a competition. Meanwhile let the talent grow in all its dimensions, and not have expectation heaped on its back.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1354828060' post='1891068']
Well, life is unfair. But what I'm really wondering why this side-show carny feels it's necessary to blow his trumpet. If this lad has got it, we'll all know in time, but it won't be through a competition. Meanwhile let the talent grow in all its dimensions, and not have expectation heaped on its back.
[/quote]

My point was simply that it takes time to find your own voice on any instrument.