Why become a member? ×

I'm after a cheapy fretless - what's about?

Ant

My girlfriend has said she'll buy me a fretless bass, im currently looking at that lake placid blue SX jazz on rondomusic, but was just wondering what else is out there?

the squir VM one should do the trick but i just dont like the jaco-esque look to it.

the squier is a top runner at the moment - i've just been a bit put off by its looks, might see if i can double sided tape a pickguard to it.

in an ideal world, it would be black/tort - but i dont think thatll happen.

[quote name='Ant' post='198014' date='May 13 2008, 02:49 PM']the squier is a top runner at the moment - i've just been a bit put off by its looks, might see if i can double sided tape a pickguard to it.

in an ideal world, it would be black/tort - but i dont think thatll happen.[/quote]

I was gonna suggest sticking a scratchplate on it, but why not just get it fitted properly and drill screw holes in it? A scratchplate would set you back about £20

[quote name='andy67' post='198020' date='May 13 2008, 02:55 PM']beedster is selling a fender type fretless which looks amazing for £225

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18291"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18291[/url][/quote]

Cheers Andy, it's a nice fretless, very light with very powefrul output and pretty good tone.
£200 buys it.... :)

Chris

[quote name='andy67' post='198206' date='May 13 2008, 07:47 PM']hi chris

no probs with that at all.

looking at the bass, looks like a badass II, ts scrtchplate and seymour duncan pups? if so that amounts to about 75% of the selling price!

what a bargain for someone.[/quote]

LOL, yes, cost me £330 to put together from used parts, that is with the exception of the Badass II and SPB-1 which were bought new and which accounted for £100 between them :) ! If it doesn't sell I'll split for parts, which would be a shame 'cos, although not a Wal or a Modulus, it's a tasty fretless with a pretty good tonal range for the cash involved. Looks f**king tastly too :huh:
Thanks again
Chris.

[quote name='Ant' post='198717' date='May 14 2008, 01:42 PM']if only it had lines - i'd be all over that.

an unlined fretless is hell

can you get them lined?[/quote]
It may be a daft idea, but you could put lines on with a felt tipped pen, and then decide whether you still need them a few months down the road.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='198746' date='May 14 2008, 02:26 PM']It may be a daft idea, but you could put lines on with a felt tipped pen, and then decide whether you still need them a few months down the road.[/quote]

would they wash off?

[quote name='Ant' post='198824' date='May 14 2008, 03:47 PM']would they wash off?[/quote]
For some reason I had pictured a varnished Maple fretboard, so the ink would not go into the wood. My mistake.

On raw rosewood, you could use a pencil, and it would rub off quickly in the areas you play most (where you already know where to put your fingers), but not rub off so quickly in the dusty areas.

Firstly I think that your girl friend is to be roundly applauded, placed on a pedestal and perhaps held up as an example to all womankind of a loving and supportive partner prepared to make sacrifices for GAS afflicted bassists worldwide.

I got a cheepie Yamaha RBX270F (lined) to see if I could cope with a fretless bass and once I had the fretboard reprofiled and fitted proper strings, it plays and sounds pretty good (when played by people that can play bass properly that is)!

The whole project cost me £160 so quite chuffed really. Now finding it hard to justify upgrading as fretless bass playing is definitely something I want to keep on with.

Alain

[quote name='ead' post='200335' date='May 16 2008, 12:16 PM']Firstly I think that your girl friend is to be roundly applauded, placed on a pedestal and perhaps held up as an example to all womankind of a loving and supportive partner prepared to make sacrifices for GAS afflicted bassists worldwide.[/quote]

+1 (a big 1)

As lovely as my g/f is, there’s no way she would add fuel to the flames of my GAS or obsession with bass playing. In fact I get the complete opposite of that – “you’re spending too much time/money on playing bass” and “you’re spending too much time hanging out with the band(s)” etc etc…I’m sure a lot of you have heard that old argument a few times.