Why become a member? ×

Would you buy a bass or amp from Tesco?

brensabre79

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1354121607' post='1882368']
I wouldn't buy a pint of milk from Tescos.

I hate their aggressive expansion at the cost of local shops, . . . .
[/quote]

That's a fair enough opinion, but let's not forget who is actually responsible for the demise of local shop . . . their customers, or rather their non-customers.

Big businesses can't force people to spend their money with them. People choose to do so, presumably because they are happy to do so for all sorts of reasons - able to do all their shopping in one store instead of carting their shopping from store to store in the rain, easy and free parking, etc etc. I'm not even sure price is at the top of the list.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy a pint of milk at Tesco's either - but that's because I'm helping to keep our local milkman in a job. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1354009968' post='1880647']
Bloody hell! Is this really a Fender bass..?

[url="http://www.tesco.com/direct/fender-starcaster-jazz-bass/517-7012.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=517-7012"]http://www.tesco.com...&skuId=517-7012[/url]
[/quote]

Not really. Its a STAR caster ie: a word that looks enough like [i]Strato [/i]caster that it might fool a few unwary buyers like mums n dads shopping for little johnny for an Xmas present. "Little Johnny insisted on it being a Fender stratocaster, and here is one much cheaper than the rest. Oh how pleased little johnny will be on Xmas morn, and how clever we are saving many hundreds of pounds"

Imagine the the jolly scene. 6AM Xmas day:............

[u]Cast[/u]: Johnny (typical spoiled brat neophye guitard)
Mum n Dad (Johnnys parental modules)

[u]Scene 1:[/u]
[u]Interior[/u]: Johnnys home, living room.

Johnny excitedly tears open the guitar shaped box with FENDER printed on it, to reveal.....

Johnny: "Its a f***in bass you senile dingbats, and its NOT a stratocaster, cant you f***in read!!!"
Parentals: (confused) "but but but the man in the shop said...."
Johnny: " I dont give a toss what the man in the shop said" (Smashes bass to matchsticks on the TV, irreparably destroying both) "take it back. I dont want it. Waaaaahh Waaah Waaaah" (much wailing and gnashing of teeth) "I told all my friends to come round this afternoon to see my new Fender guitar. I'll be a laughing stock. You planned all this, you hate me. You have six hours to buy me a real Fender Strat, one with SIX f***ing strings. ARGGGhhh!" (runs up stairs screaming and crying. Door slams then silence..)

Parents stare at each other in confusement. Still unable to fathom what could possibly have gone wrong. This awful scene is repeated up and down the land, throughout Christmas morning.

[u]Scene 2[/u]:
Home of 'the man in the shop' We see the same man in the shop who sold Johnnys parents the offending item. He has obviously done very well for himself this season. Selling many people like Johnnys parents the very same[i] pretender fender[/i]. He sits amid an enourmous pile of money several feet high, and spread right across the carpet. He is naked apart from a gold chain about his scrawny neck, the chain has the letter 'F' on it, the same font as a Fender logo.(A present from Henry Fender himself)

"ha ha, those poor fools. I'm rich. Rich beyond the dreams of avarice. Richer than Croesus himself"
raises glass of champoo to the sky, and announces..
"Thank you Fender, you've done it again"

Edited by daz

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1354121299' post='1882364']
So you think a bass will be one of the major things on sale at Tescos?
[/quote]

As this appears to be a distance selling thing rather than a going into the shop thing, I don't see how this is relevant.

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1354125374' post='1882446']
Not really. Its a STAR caster ie: a word that looks enough like [i]Strato [/i]caster that it might fool a few unwary buyers like mums n dads shopping for little johnny for an Xmas present. "Little Johnny insisted on it being a Fender stratocaster, and here is one much cheaper than the rest. Oh how pleased little johnny will be on Xmas morn, and how clever we are saving many hundreds of pounds"

Johnny excitedly tears open the guitar shaped box with FENDER printed on it, to reveal.....

Johnny: "Its a f***in bass you senile dingbats, and its NOT a stratocaster, cant you f***in read!!!"
Parentals: (Whack!) "you ungrateful little bastard...."

[/quote]

Fixed.

I don't really see much of an issue, plenty of people will buy a fender copy from anywhere. You can get them from all sorts of internet outlets, and for most of them musical instruments are just one line of many.

Plenty of people on here rushed to a charity shop to buy a Sue Ryder P bass copy and nobody complained about that. I know we did it to help a charity, rather than a big retailer, but is it all that different? I used to work for a national charity and believe me, they are run just like any other big business.

A "lower than affinity" P bass will still be an awful lot better than the 2nd hand Top Twenty I started on 35 years ago!

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1354125374' post='1882446']

Parentals: (confused) "but but but the man in the shop said...."
Johnny: " I dont give a toss what the man in the shop said" (Smashes bass to matchsticks on the TV, irreparably destroying both) "take it back. I dont want it. Waaaaahh Waaah Waaaah" (much wailing and gnashing of teeth) "I told all my friends to come round this afternoon to see my new Fender guitar. I'll be a laughing stock. You planned all this, you hate me. You have six hours to buy me a real Fender Strat, one with SIX f***ing strings. ARGGGhhh!" (runs up stairs screaming and crying. Door slams then silence..)

Parents stare at each other in confusement. Still unable to fathom what could possibly have gone wrong. This awful scene is repeated up and down the land, throughout Christmas morning.

[u]Scene 2[/u]:
Home of 'the man in the shop' We see the same man in the shop who sold Johnnys parents the offending item. He has obviously done very well for himself this season. Selling many people like Johnnys parents the very same[i] pretender fender[/i]. He sits amid an enourmous pile of money several feet high, and spread right across the carpet. He is naked apart from a gold chain about his scrawny neck, the chain has the letter 'F' on it, the same font as a Fender logo.

"ha ha, those poor fools. I'm rich. Rich beyond the dreams of avarice. Richer than Croesus himself"
raises glass of champoo to the sky, and announces..
"Thank you Fender, you've done it again"
[/quote]

So, is the problem that Tesco are trying to con people into buying Fender Starcasters or that Fender make them in the first place?

Edited by mentalextra

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1354134287' post='1882624']
So, is the problem that Tesco are trying to con people into buying Fender Starcasters or that Fender make them in the first place?
[/quote]

Neither. The problem is with the millions of ungrateful brats we have spawned in our modern; [i]See it. Buy it. Lose interest in it. Throw it away. Repeat ad nauseum [/i] Modern culture and the idiots who pander to them because its easier than teaching them real values.

Edited by daz

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1354123412' post='1882399']
That's a fair enough opinion, but let's not forget who is actually responsible for the demise of local shop . . . their customers, or rather their non-customers.

Big businesses can't force people to spend their money with them. People choose to do so, presumably because they are happy to do so for all sorts of reasons - able to do all their shopping in one store instead of carting their shopping from store to store in the rain, easy and free parking, etc etc. I'm not even sure price is at the top of the list.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy a pint of milk at Tesco's either - but that's because I'm helping to keep our local milkman in a job. ;)
[/quote]

Yep, you're right, which is why most opposition to another new Tesco shop fails. Unfortunate but its true. Bit like The Sun being by far the most popular newspaper.

We are keeping our milkman too!

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1354135939' post='1882665']
Neither. The problem is with the millions of ungrateful brats we have spawned in our modern; [i]See it. Buy it. Lose interest in it. Throw it away. Repeat ad nauseum [/i]Modern culture and the idiots who pander to them because its easier than teaching them real values.
[/quote]

The manufacturers know exactly what they are doing! Computers, games consoles and phones are aimed at kids subliminily! That way the manufactuers do not have to take any responsibility! For example, there are very few games consoles that dont require internet access and credit cards to enable them! No, the manufacturers know exactly what they are doing!

The throw away culture extends to lots of areas of life not just kids toys. Who has TV's repaired now! Its cheaper to replace. Same with washing machines, Hot water boilers! etc etc....

Dont treat the symptoms treat the causes!

Edited by mentalextra

My TV has Internet access via built-in wireless, will process input streams from at least six different connector types, will play movies, music and photos direct from MP3 in zillions of different formats and record programmes live or via schedule direct to an external hard drive. And it's about an inch and a half thick. The inability to take it down to Bert with the soldering iron and the meter to have it repaired is nothing to do with some sinister plot to build in obsolescence (not that these don't neccessarily exist) it's simply a consequence of the technology required to produce such a fantastic piece of kit. The vast increase in the reliability of the TV is demonstrated by the complete collapse in the rental industry a few decades ago. Time was when TVs cost and arm and a leg and broke down, so renting one which would be repaired or replaced when (rather than if) it went boing made sense.

Kids, like adults, have always been mercurial about toys and pastimes. The difference today is the sheer amount of options available. When the extent of the toy box was a hoop and a stick, then persevering was the only way to go...and wouldn't that be fun? :D

The 'see it buy it lose interest in it' attitude being critisied on BC of all places is pushing the boundaries of irony. ;)

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1354363232' post='1885179']
My TV has Internet access via built-in wireless, will process input streams from at least six different connector types, will play movies, music and photos direct from MP3 in zillions of different formats and record programmes live or via schedule direct to an external hard drive. And it's about an inch and a half thick. The inability to take it down to Bert with the soldering iron and the meter to have it repaired is nothing to do with some sinister plot to build in obsolescence (not that these don't neccessarily exist) it's simply a consequence of the technology required to produce such a fantastic piece of kit. The vast increase in the reliability of the TV is demonstrated by the complete collapse in the rental industry a few decades ago. Time was when TVs cost and arm and a leg and broke down, so renting one which would be repaired or replaced when (rather than if) it went boing made sense.

Kids, like adults, have always been mercurial about toys and pastimes. The difference today is the sheer amount of options available. When the extent of the toy box was a hoop and a stick, then persevering was the only way to go...and wouldn't that be fun? :D

The 'see it buy it lose interest in it' attitude being critisied on BC of all places is pushing the boundaries of irony. ;)
[/quote]

We get annoyed with kids because they are not as 'appreciative' of technology as we are, but technology will move on regardless of whether your kids like it or not. I am amazed at the graphic quality on some modern computer games, if I said that to a 14yr old boy he would think I was mad!

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1354389797' post='1885538'] We get annoyed with kids because they are not as 'appreciative' of technology as we are, but technology will move on regardless of whether your kids like it or not. I am amazed at the graphic quality on some modern computer games, if I said that to a 14yr old boy he would think I was mad! [/quote]

I remember when I was a kid (which is an unnervingly long time ago) adults marvelling at the toys I had. Never had that sort of thing when they were a kid. Called progress. People are already fondly remembering Space Invaders.

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1354135939' post='1882665']
Neither. The problem is with the millions of ungrateful brats we have spawned in our modern; [i]See it. Buy it. Lose interest in it. Throw it away. Repeat ad nauseum [/i] Modern culture and the idiots who pander to them because its easier than teaching them real values.
[/quote]

I'm not so sure this is a modern phenomenon. When I was 13-14 yrs I went through CB Radio, Tropical Fish, Skateboarding and an ITT Combat Radio, all of which my folks shelled out for, and I did have my moments of being a most ungrateful brat. Mind you, I stuck with the Bass.... 30 years and counting :)

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1354403780' post='1885709']
I'm not so sure this is a modern phenomenon. When I was 13-14 yrs I went through CB Radio, Tropical Fish, Skateboarding and an ITT Combat Radio, all of which my folks shelled out for, and I did have my moments of being a most ungrateful brat. Mind you, I stuck with the Bass.... 30 years and counting :)
[/quote]

Always easy to blame the kids of nowadays. Who provides the role models? Who brings them up? Who provides them with stuff? Adults.

Whose fault?