Why become a member? ×

Any BC'ers in Aberystwyth or thereabouts.......?

Beedster

Just moved up here (I'm living about 20 miles away but working in Aber). What's the score? Good place for music? Anyone looking for a bass player :D

Would love to hear of any upcoming gigs and start to check out the local music scene, there certainly seem to be a lot of folk up here who look like musicians!

Cheers

Chris

PS any decent music/gear shops in the area?

Hi Chris

I went to uni in Aberwotsit. It was a great time, 3 years of hard work but the social life was great. I'm not the 'clubbing' type so Aberystwyth's range of pubs and bars suited me just fine. It was great for live music, too. My band played in most venues around the town and further afield in Birmingham etc.

There was a music shop of sorts but it was just your average small town shop selling sheet music and Performance Percussion drums, nothing to rave about. It was during this time I was doing lots of trading on BC as a result!

Let us know how you get on - I'd recommend 'Rummers' bear the bridge for live music, they used to have some fairly cool people on. I don't know what's there now, I left in 2006 and haven't been back. I don't think I ever will because it was such a cool time being there with my friends I like to have it as a excellent memory.

Cheers
ped

Ah my hometown- alas I moved away from there about 20yrs ago but still get back to see my Mum and sister.
By all accounts it isn't as vibrant as it used to be (show me a town that is tho)- although the student population has always breathed life into it.

Enjoy- whereabouts are you Chris- past Machynlleth?

Its Ynyslas nr Borth- full of happy childhood memories :)

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1353965004' post='1880392']
Oh yeh - forgot to say......... it rains a lot here B)
[/quote]

Just move to Holyhead. There, the rain blows away, keeping you dry.
[written in my camper van on South Stack, just seconds before landing again - in Valley]

best,
bert

Thanks guys, good to see some love for the place. Personally I'm finding Aber (and Wales generally) to be outstanding, and I only wish I'd come here sooner. I'll check out the venues suggested (and who knows, even Redstriper's gig, although I'm starting to realise that 100 road miles here are equivalent to 250 miles in the South East). John, shall I leave it until you graduate to get the gear to you (PM on its way mate)!

Looking forward to seeing the flying camper van

C

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1354066053' post='1881760']
Only on South Stack I do! :)

b,
b
[/quote]

Bert - do you fly from Valley to Cardiff on the little passenger plane?
If so I may have flown with you :)

Chris - it's a great place to live, once you get used to the slow pace and discover the magic.
I've been here 30 years and it took about 5 for me to really settle cos I'm a city lad at heart.
As you say, it takes ages to get anywhere due to the roads and no one is in a rush.
I've long advocated flattening Snowdon and putting a motorway straight through, but it's not a popular idea round here for some reason :lol:

Let me know if you're coming to the gig and I'll meet you there - I think there are a few coming from Aber way.

Steve.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1354094120' post='1881874']
Thanks guys, good to see some love for the place.
[/quote]

Love from me alright. Been there up to six times a year. Sadly no longer.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1354094120' post='1881874']
Looking forward to seeing the flying camper van
[/quote]

Just wait for a windy day.
Looking forward to landing on your lawn.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1354098267' post='1881943']
If so I may have flown with you
[/quote]

You haven't, but you did transport me through Holyhead a few times. Recognised you immediately. ;)

best,
bert

• 3 months later...