Why become a member? ×

who makes the floppiest rounds?

iconic

The "floppiness" of rounds is more a function of their gauge, since many are constructed in a similar manner. Try a 40-95 set, and if that's not pliant enough, then try 35-90 or thereabouts.

D'Addario and Circle K publish their tension specs so you can see just how floppy the lighter strings get, and can choose a set with balanced or graduated tension. Again, since many strings are made in a similar manner, you can extrapolate within a kilo or so the tension of similar strings (nickels, steels, etc.) from company to company.

Edited by iiipopes

• 2 weeks later...

I will offer a slightly different view - in my experience string tension varies quite a lot between different brands, even when comparing the same guages (whether steel or nickel). I agree with iiipopes that lighter guages will have less tension than heavy strings.

I find Rotosounds have more tension than all other brands I've tried (which certainly isn't all). I have found Ernie Balls and D'Addarios to be rather low tension - especially the D'Addario nickels. Even the steels seemed to have a lot less tension than the Rotos.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1355966760' post='1905230']
Cheers guys,

Thomas'...I've never used this brand, may give them a go
[/quote]

They are a bit on the expensive side, but from the reviews I have read
they last a long time, and are worth the money. Search the "Strings" section over
on Talk Bass and you should get some more information.

This might be a good place to get them.

[url="http://www.lordofthestrings.com/lots/RAPRD/Thomastik-JR344-Jazz-Bass/11001626.html"]http://www.lordofthestrings.com/lots/RAPRD/Thomastik-JR344-Jazz-Bass/11001626.html[/url]

Edited by Coilte

The design of the string and the exact materials used definitely changes the flexibility at a particular frequency.

I find d'Addarios to be as stiff as steel rod compared to the same sized DR Hi-Beams. Having said that I think those Hi-Beams are a bit too floppy for me and generally use DR Lo-Riders. They have the same nominal construction as the d'Addarios (hex core, round wrap wire) but definitely have a lot more give in them.

• 3 weeks later...

i wanted to experiment with low tension roundwounds and bought at 40-100 set of DR HiBeams.and also a set of Thomastik JR344 (these come in one weight 39 to 85 i think)

however as i usually play Thomastik flats i just couldn't get on with roundwounds at all, so both sets are on sale having been played for 20 mins at most. pm me if you're interested.

for the record, in comparison with TI flats which are known for being pretty low tension, i would say the DRs feel a little more tense, and the TI roundwounds feel very very very low tension. they also feel unusually thin.