Why become a member? ×

New cab day - Barefaced Big Twin T

WinterMute

So I dropped into the Barefaced workshop this morning to pick up my new Big Twin T, had a good chat with Alex and left with a boot full of new cab.

Had to wait till I got home to connect it up, and as it's a little late, I thought my neighbours might not appreciate 1400 watts flat out...!

The rig is now a Pod XT Pro into a Crown XTi1000 bridged into mono into the Big Twin, the bass is a Tony Levin OLP with a Bart pup and pre-amp.

Can't really comment on the sound as I could only run it very quietly, and I want to soak it with the 25hz signal for a while before I crank it up.

I'll report back once it's been used in anger, but I have to say I have no quibbles about the finish, the cab is unbelievably light and Alex's customer service is excellent.

Congratulations on the new arrival. I'm really happy with mine : tone and volume in a light weight package! If you do break it in using the 25k sine wave be careful what volume you use. It may not sound loud to you but people 3 streets away will feel it.....now go wake those neighbours up :D

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1353662359' post='1877016']
Which is your favourite Iain Banks?

Mine's Espedair Street :-)
[/quote]

I'm a M Banks fan generally, favourite is probably Use of Weapons, I should have been Zakalwe....

I really liked Complicity and Crow Road.

I've been using the pods in studios for a long time, I'm a recording engineer by trade, and I'm very familiar with the architecture.

I've always managed to get great sounds when recording myself and other bassists, and I figured I should just apply the same approach to live. All that was missing was a speaker system capable of amplifying the range of tones I need to gig levels, which is where Alex's designs come in...

Bob: the pod XT is a huge box of tones, it's just not very user friendly, the MacBook on the top is running a graphic editor, but you still need to understand signal flow, EQ, compression, time domain FX... I think that's what keeps them for being more acceptable to most bassists.

The Crown is just a PA amp, it delivers 1400 watts into 4 Ohms which is precisely what the Big Twin is rated for.

Fretmeister: Presets? What are those....?

Edited by WinterMute

Great looking rig, congrats :), might have to pick your brains at some point regarding POD for recording as I've got an HD bean (guitar) but still need Mac (pc)
Is that like my S12T but with 3012LF's & a midrange ?

Edited by sifi2112

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1353709393' post='1877831']
Aha. I do live near Brighton. Shame that they don't have a demo room though.
[/quote]

They don't have very much room at all...! Truly a micro industry, but what products...!

[quote name='sifi2112' timestamp='1353700394' post='1877711']
Great looking rig, congrats :), might have to pick your brains at some point regarding POD for recording as I've got an HD bean (guitar) but still need Mac (pc)
Is that like my S12T but with 3012LF's & a midrange ?[/quote]

I thought the woofers were the same Eminence units in both boxes tbh, could be wrong... Its got a 6" midrange and a complex crossover arrangement, it goes lower and louder than the Super 12 as the woofers don't have to do so much of the work int he midrange. The articulation in the mids and HF is really something to hear.... I haven't finished running it in yet, 25hz for 2 hours was all I could take tonight, more over the weekend though.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1353709393' post='1877831']Aha. I do live near Brighton. Shame that they don't have a demo room though.[/quote]

We don't have a demo room but there's space upstairs (in between the final assembly benches) to set out a few cabs and compare them - we had a local bassist in last week doing just that. Nice to hear someone other than me (or recordings) playing through them! :)

Took the new cab for it's first outing yesterday, which was fun as I had no programmed tones in the pod and was using the rig from scratch effectively...

The cab chucks out some serious bottom end, and got quite a lot louder as the session wore on, I got the basis for tones for a bunch of songs, and nailed a couple, particularly with the Mesa 400 amp model.

My drummer and guitarist commented that the whole sound of the band cleaned up significantly from rehearsals with the LD400 combo, and the low end was clearer and tighter.

The rig is LOUD, I mean seriously PA level loud, tons of HF and punch in the mids, huge and persistent LF that just goes down forever, (I've had dates like that, but never cabs...).

As the day went on the cab exhibited better LF response and more control in the mids, I turned the horn down about 25% and was constantly adjusting the patches for LF...

Once I get the tones for the tracks set, I'll be able to comment more fully on the cab, but overall it's an order of magnitude better than the old LD combo, even with the drivers not quite settled in yet.

Very, very impressive, my guitarist picked it up and asked if they'd forgotten to install the drivers. It weighs less than one of his 1x12 combos.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1354453630' post='1886059']
I would put a sheet of that anti-slip rubber mesh between the rack case and the cab - I wouldn't like to see the stuff on the top go walkabout!
[/quote]

It doesn't move at all mate, the feet on the case are rubber and there is very little vibration in the cab due to Alex's ultra rigid design.