Why become a member? ×

Anybody know what has happened to Wizard?

Phil Starr

People here have spoken very highly of Wizard. I want a set of PJ pups and could do with some advice so I've rung them, three times, and also emailed. They never answer their phones and no-one has got back to me. I'm now reluctant to place an order with someone who doesn't answer their phones or emails as how would I contact them if there are problems.

I'd far rather place an order with a small British company particularly if their pup's are as good as people say but is this a general problem or have I just been unlucky?

No problems last week, I sent Andy a vintage Fender Strat (1960) pick up for rewind & it was back inside 3 days, lovely job & very reasonable.

In fact he 'phoned me next morning after I sent it, before I even expected it to be delivered - to say it was done!

Excellent service.

Cheerz, John

I've contacted them twice over the last few months with queries about pickups which aren't on the website, and both times I've (eventually) had one-line answers of "We don't/can't do that. Sorry."

It's a shame, because I love the Wizards I've used, but they don't seem to be interested, as you say, in selling anything which isn't in stock.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1353609925' post='1876613']
I've contacted them twice over the last few months with queries about pickups which aren't on the website, and both times I've (eventually) had one-line answers of "We don't/can't do that. Sorry."

It's a shame, because I love the Wizards I've used, but they don't seem to be interested, as you say, in selling anything which isn't in stock.
[/quote]

When I wanted a set of 5er Jazz pickups I got that reply to so bought some empty bobins and sent them to him to wind. It was the only way! But once you have the things they are very very nice indeed.

A

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1353610128' post='1876619']
I never actually went ahead with an order but I asked Aaron Armstrong about some custom pickups and he was way more than helpful if you want a UK alternative to Wizard
[/quote]

+1 for Aaron.

He made my custom 6 string P Bass pickup.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1353611786' post='1876638']
Kent's son? The kent armstrong custom pups are very very reasonably priced.
[/quote] Yeah, he makes ACG and i think Overwater's pickups. I thought he made yours too but I must be wrong! :) Don't you make your own pups now?

Its only a very small operation at Wizard, I think its basically Andy and another guy who helps out part time. If he's busy making pickups he won't answer the phone, and he's not great at emails either (different generation). If you phone and leave a message he's usually pretty good at getting back in a day or so. Don't forget its a little cottage industry (literally in this case) so if the guy is having a busy day, or even a bit of manflu you're not going to reach them. But the pickups he makes are great, and very reasonable too.

+1 also for Kent or Aaron Armstrong, great P'ups.
and Bareknuckle are pretty helpful too, although I've not used them in a while.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1353615000' post='1876678']
Yeah, he makes ACG and i think Overwater's pickups. I thought he made yours too but I must be wrong! :) Don't you make your own pups now?
[/quote]Aah, interesting. Yea, the less people i have to rely on the better :) and I do enjoy those pickup winding days (today) in a dust free zone with some cool tunes. Bliss.
So that's 3 generations of Armstrongs making guitar stuff! Awesome! I hope I can get my kids interested eventually. Is 6 too early for sanding duties?

Edited by lettsguitars

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1353675648' post='1877254']
Aah, interesting. Yea, the less people i have to rely on the better :) and I do enjoy those pickup winding days (today) in a dust free zone with some cool tunes. Bliss.
So that's 3 generations of Armstrongs making guitar stuff! Awesome! I hope I can get my kids interested eventually. Is 6 too early for sanding duties?
[/quote] dunno, depends on what it's sanding and dust masks... maybe buffing a finish would be more appropiate. "no dinner till you can see your face in it" .... :)

Thanks for the answers. It's a real shame, I used to build speakers as a one man business so I sympathize but customer service is pretty important too. If I can't contact you then i can't place an order and i can have no confidence about what might happen if something goes wrong. thanks for the tips though, I hadn't come across Armstrong before. Any other suggestions?

[/quote]

Same here regarding a rewind on some old J p/ups. Basically advised to buy a new set.

[/quote]

or even in stock, sometimes.

I approached him enquiring about Jazz style pickups. I told him what I was after (midrange rich bridge and thick sounding) to see which of his sets might be best... he said that none, as I was using tapewounds on this particular bass (???) So ended up buying a set of Seymour Duncans and very nice they are... His lack of interest to sell me a set of pickups was surprising to me. BUt hey, it's his business.

I spoke to him on the phone Thursday morning, he did say he was extremely busy so we only had a quick chat but my new Thumper based pickup was delivered in to me on Friday, this was not a stock model either, it was a custom wind.

As far as I'm concerned, that's bloody good service. :)

• 4 weeks later...