Why become a member? ×

NBD... but someone messed up fretting/pup/bridge installation!

warwickhunt

Always fancied trying one of these whacky things and got this in a trade with my Sadowsky Jazz via BCer Dougal (top chap)!

[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/100_2337.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/100_2338.jpg[/IMG]

It's actually quite easy to get used to the fretting (so long as you don't actually look at the fingerboard/frets ;D) and it sounds glorious! Not sure how much difference the variable string length has on the tone (it might sound just as good if it were all 34"!) but my preconception that it might be lacking in comparison to my active basses is totally unfounded (completely passive bass). So the weight, balance, playability and tone are excelent; any downside? Well I (wrongly) assumed that it would be V/V/T or V/Blend/T but in fact the centre pot is pup selector dial Neck/Both/Bridge, not sure if I wouldn't prefer V/B/T but then I suppose it sounds mint 'as-is' so why worry! ;)

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1353169226' post='1872365']
Burn him, for he is a witch!
[/quote]:D

Nice score. I'm so used to seeing Dingwalls as fivers this one looks odd (or should that be more odd :) ) I've played DWs and they are very nice basses indeed and Sheldon Dingwall is a very nice chap too who'll happily chat about his instruments with anyone with a even just a passing interest in them. Congrats.

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1353345620' post='1874009']
Are you pick or finger (or indeed both)? The angle of those pups looks like it might be ever so slightly uncomfy trying to rest ones thumb on one.
[/quote]

Mainly finger and I have to say that the opposite is true! As the pup slopes up and away it is far more comfortable (for me) than any standard 'straight' pup bass that I have ever tried. ;)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1353347247' post='1874047']
Mainly finger and I have to say that the opposite is true! As the pup slopes up and away it is far more comfortable (for me) than any standard 'straight' pup bass that I have ever tried. ;)
[/quote] sounds like someone may have found a keeper :)

it certainly looks nice, and a passive bass through your amp must be nice.

Talking of which found an interesting thing today... my amp has a 'taste' knob, similar idea to the timbre contol on your amp I would guess.... well with the warwick it brings in two different types of sucking.... with the newish jazz- they both make the thing come alive. :)